Neuralink's 1st human implant...

Neuralink recently completed its 1st human brain implant.

The recipient was “recovering well” Musk wrote on his social media platform X (formerly Twitter) on Monday evening, adding that initial results showed “promising neuron spike detection”—a reference to brain cells’ electrical activity.

“Imagine if Stephen Hawking could communicate faster than a speed typist or auctioneer. That is the goal,” Musk wrote of the 1st Neuralink product, which he said is named Telepathy.

Incredible. Neuralink is not the only company exploring this technology. I wish them godspeed.
Mission Statement:

Create a generalized brain interface to restore autonomy to those with unmet medical needs today and unlock human potential tomorrow.​

What is this like 20 years behind the times?
Wikipedia:
In 2012, a landmark study in Nature, led by pioneer Leigh Hochberg, MD, PhD, demonstrated that two people with tetraplegia were able to control robotic arms through thought when connected to the BrainGate neural interface system.[53] The two participants were able to reach for and grasp objects in three-dimensional space, and one participant used the system to serve herself coffee for the first time since becoming paralyzed nearly 15 years prior.

In October 2020, two patients were able to wirelessly control a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10 to text, email, shop and bank using direct thought through the Stentrode brain computer interface.[54] This was the first time a brain–computer interface was implanted via the patient's blood vessels, eliminating the need for open-brain surgery.

Last edited:
What is this like 20 years behind the times?
Wikipedia:
In 2012, a landmark study in Nature, led by pioneer Leigh Hochberg, MD, PhD, demonstrated that two people with tetraplegia were able to control robotic arms through thought when connected to the BrainGate neural interface system.[53] The two participants were able to reach for and grasp objects in three-dimensional space, and one participant used the system to serve herself coffee for the first time since becoming paralyzed nearly 15 years prior.

In October 2020, two patients were able to wirelessly control a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10 to text, email, shop and bank using direct thought through the Stentrode brain computer interface.[54] This was the first time a brain–computer interface was implanted via the patient's blood vessels, eliminating the need for open-brain surgery.
I don't know what to make of your comment.
So you have a problem with this work? The article points out previous work that Neuralink has built upon.

I’m simply stating that Elon ain’t that great.
I personally don't care for him either but what his companies people have done & able to accomplish is great. He's been able to afford to get things off the ground over time & into the gen pop. I hope this technology gets to a point of accessibility & it sounds like it will help some of our most prized individuals. Excellent first step!

Last edited:
I personally don't care for him either but what his companies people have done & able to accomplish is great. He's been able to afford to get things off the ground over time & into the gen pop. I hope this technology gets to a point of accessibility & it sounds like it will help some of our most prized individuals across the globe. Excellent first step!
If he really wanted to help people he would donate combines and tractors to farmers in third world countries anonymously. This would not create headlines to boost his ego, which is what he is about.

Neuralink recently completed its 1st human brain implant.

The recipient was “recovering well” Musk wrote on his social media platform X (formerly Twitter) on Monday evening, adding that initial results showed “promising neuron spike detection”—a reference to brain cells’ electrical activity.

“Imagine if Stephen Hawking could communicate faster than a speed typist or auctioneer. That is the goal,” Musk wrote of the 1st Neuralink product, which he said is named Telepathy.

Incredible. Neuralink is not the only company exploring this technology. I wish them godspeed.
Mission Statement:

Create a generalized brain interface to restore autonomy to those with unmet medical needs today and unlock human potential tomorrow.​

If anything should be halted right away it is this until all the research is done and ethical and safety concerns are fully addressed. Helping someone with medical problems that may benefit from it is one thing but to"unlock human potential tomorrow" is a big red flag that should not be ignored.

If anything should be halted right away it is this until all the research is done and ethical and safety concerns are fully addressed. Helping someone with medical problems that may benefit from it is one thing but to"unlock human potential tomorrow" is a big red flag that should not be ignored.
Seriously? You think this work came out of thin air?
Read the article. Look at the company website. Do a little research instead of making an uninformed opinion.
The article is from Scientific American not Mad Magazine, or Fox or CNN or whatever.
You understand that this research has been going on for over 20 years and Neuralink is not the only organization doing so, right?

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration had approved human clinical trials for Neuralink in May 2023."

Heaven forbid someone you or I know would ever need such medical help but if they did we would be eternally grateful for the work, money, research and dedication to such incredible science.

Last edited:
My main concern with any implanted link, is how will this be exploited? Because it's too juicy of a worm not to exploit - by hacker/thieves, big business and government to name a few of the low hanging fruit..
The possibility of medical research and development helping people in horrible car accidents, the blind, etc is an incredible goal.
What do you think a hacker would do with someone who just got out of a wheelchair?

Back