Neuralink's 1st human implant...

My main concern with any implanted link, is how will this be exploited? Because it's too juicy of a worm not to exploit - by hacker/thieves, big business and government to name a few of the low hanging fruit..
Gov can already exploit you without the link to your brain. It is called a physical jail.

If anything should be halted right away it is this until all the research is done and ethical and safety concerns are fully addressed. Helping someone with medical problems that may benefit from it is one thing but to"unlock human potential tomorrow" is a big red flag that should not be ignored.
Well, pretty much anything like lasik, breast implant, liposuction, hair implant, etc are "unnecessary medical procedures" done for human recreational use only. Why would you want to regulate a brain link?

What could possibly go wrong?
My main concern would be how durable this link would last before it hurt the tissues or nerves it is connected to, and would the damage be irreversible and increase infection rate.

About how to avoid hacking: you can make it read only (no OTA update) and limit its transmission range in between. Sure people might be able to put an antenna nearby to fry your electronics so you need a surgery to replace it, but if they want to hurt you like that it would be easier to just get a knife to slash you in person, and do more harm than frying your chip.

I'm sure someone would already start looking at how to intercept our nerves to get us into a VR dream while lying down, like the movie Inception, or triggering dopamine and give you a high or orgasm if you pay enough money, and get you addicted.

Yep. Back to insult and childish ridicule... No big surprise because that's your MO.
You choose to take incredible science news and deny it simply because of your hate and ignorance. That's beyond pathetic.
If you had cited any research, your post might be reasonable. Instead it was completely devoid of fact. If only you had read the article...

My thread is about Neuralink's mission and resulting 1st implant, not Elon Musk.
By the way, there are things I like about Musk and things I do not.
Do some reading of the opinions of others.

What is this like 20 years behind the times?
Wikipedia:
In 2012, a landmark study in Nature, led by pioneer Leigh Hochberg, MD, PhD, demonstrated that two people with tetraplegia were able to control robotic arms through thought when connected to the BrainGate neural interface system.[53] The two participants were able to reach for and grasp objects in three-dimensional space, and one participant used the system to serve herself coffee for the first time since becoming paralyzed nearly 15 years prior.

In October 2020, two patients were able to wirelessly control a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10 to text, email, shop and bank using direct thought through the Stentrode brain computer interface.[54] This was the first time a brain–computer interface was implanted via the patient's blood vessels, eliminating the need for open-brain surgery.
Shhhh... dont tell anyone, that was Musks competition that beat him to it.;)

My friend has a half million dollar experimental chip in his brain that controls some of his Parkinson's symptoms. He's 10+ years in and can walk, drive, and work on his feet in a way that he never would have without it. He could barely walk before the implant a couple years ago.

Maybe they will come up with a chip that will prevent veins bursting out of people's foreheads as they hear about his kind of stuff. Some of you could use it.

One must remember that Neuralink is not related to Tesla.
It's actually why I think Musks other companies and his interests will have him leave Tesla one day. Boring car and battery businesses.
Granted Tesla Robotics some day but whatever.

His Neuralink company is behind by years of his projections, worse than the cybertruck.

He "Demand" 25% stake in Tesla to keep AI and robotics there.

It will start as medical aid, but the goal is the post humanistic future. Humans blended with the machine.

Then there is also “the mark of the beast”. Those without it will not be able to buy or sell, in other words they will not be part of the society.

Interesting times we live in.
We already are there: smart phone

My friend has a half million dollar experimental chip in his brain that controls some of his Parkinson's symptoms. He's 10+ years in and can walk, drive, and work on his feet in a way that he never would have without it. He could barely walk before the implant a couple years ago.

Maybe they will come up with a chip that will prevent veins bursting out of people's foreheads as they hear about his kind of stuff. Some of you could use it.

Though I believe this technology obviously has tremendous potential and benefits… And I am not against this technology being utilized.

However whether you me or anyone else likes it or not… Blindly trusting and or putting high level of faith in other human beings has not proven to be the best course either.

Let’s be clear… A certain country in Europe in the 1930s captured their healthcare system… Used those professionals who were among the best in their fields… To use their prodigious talents for truly monstrous purposes. I have read actual physician reports on testing experiments performed on other human beings. Truly horrific…

People are no different now… The human race is no better than it was 80 plus years ago.

Though I believe this technology obviously has tremendous potential and benefits… And I am not against this technology being utilized.

However whether you me or anyone else likes it or not… Blindly trusting and or putting high level of faith in other human beings has not proven to be the best course either.

Let’s be clear… A certain country in Europe in the 1930s captured their healthcare system… Used those professionals who were among the best in their fields… To use their prodigious talents for truly monstrous purposes. I have read actual physician reports on testing experiments performed on other human beings. Truly horrific…

People are no different now… The human race is no better than it was 80 plus years ago.
I'm reminded of Craig Thomas's Cold War novel "Firefox". A Soviet scientist has developed technology to allow people with spinal-cord injuries to control their limbs with their minds.

The military appropriates his work to develop mind-controlled weapons 8nstead. The resultant aircraft, nicknamed Firefox by NATO, is superior to anything NATO has.

The story goes from there. It's dated, as you would expect a book from 45 years ago to be, but is still a good read.

I thought the movie was quite poor compared to the book.

Shoot, it wasn't that long ago we were zapping people and giving them toxic chemicals as "treatment" for mental issues.

The possibility of medical research and development helping people in horrible car accidents, the blind, etc is an incredible goal.
What do you think a hacker would do with someone who just got out of a wheelchair?
Clearly you underestimate mankind's ability to exploit. If a company like Target can predict a woman's pregnancy BEFORE she knows herself simply through an algorithm and target her with specific adds and use her info for who knows what other purposes. Imagine the possibilities if they're actually in your head. Again, hackers, big business and perhaps worst, government. Just because today they may help someone with rehabilitation, doesn't mean that tomorrow they won't implant (presumably voluntarily) it in healthy people for other reasons. Remember, tech never stops evolving.

Clearly you underestimate mankind's ability to exploit. If a company like Target can predict a woman's pregnancy BEFORE she knows herself simply through an algorithm and target her with specific adds and use her info for who knows what other purposes. Imagine the possibilities if they're actually in your head. Again, hackers, big business and perhaps worst, government. Just because today they may help someone with rehabilitation, doesn't mean that tomorrow they won't implant (presumably voluntarily) it in healthy people for other reasons. Remember, tech never stops evolving.
And the hubris of technocrats and the so-called intelligentsia knows no bounds.

I agree, to help someone like Dr. Stephen Hawkin, or someone suffering with Parkinson's, Huntington's Disease or any of those other horrible disabling diseases is a God send for sure. Enhancing human performance could end up being something out of a horror movie, some real scary stuff for sure.

Back