New way to interview? Have the final four applicants interview in front of each other, attend a social together, etc

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I have been searching for a "new chapter" job, as I am retiring in AUG 2024. I have applied for over 250 positions, have had five zoom interviews, and a e-mail inquiring if I was still interested in the position, of which I quickly replied and that was the last I heard from the employer.

I applied for a position in Colorado, that was being filled by a headhunter/ placement agency. I interviewed for one hour on zoom with the placement agency, which was recorded. The placement agency then sent the video to the employer. I received notice I was one of four finalist, and the interview would take place over two days. For me, it would be four days and I need a day of travel each way.

What caught me by surprise was the final four interview process. The final four candidates interview with the employer, with the other three candidates in the room during each interview. That evening there would be a social with the employer and the candidates. The next day they would make an offer to a candidate, if that candidate didn't accept the offer, they would move to the next candidate.

This is a process I have never heard of before. Not saying it is good/bad, just a different approach. I decided to not participate in the process. Not because of the "public interview", but I wasn't easily able to give up four days to interview for the job.

Last edited:
I have been searching for a "new chapter" job, as I am retiring in AUG 2024. I have applied for over 250 positions, have had five zoom interviews, and a e-mail inquiring if I was still interested in the position, of which I quickly replied and that was the last I heard from the employer.

I applied for a position in Colorado, that was being filled by a headhunter/ placement agency. I interviewed for one hour on zoom with the placement agency, which was recorded. The placement agency then sent the video to the employer. I received notice I was one of four finalist, and the interview would take place over two days. For me, it would be four days and I need a day of travel each way.

What I was caught by surprise, was the final four interview process. The final four candidates interview with the employer, with the other three candidates in the room during each interview. That evening there would be a social with the employer and the candidates. The next day they would make an offer to a candidate, if that candidate to accept the offer, they would move to the next candidate.

This is a process I have never heard of before. Not saying it is good/bad, just a different approach. I decided to not participate in the process. Not because of the "public interview", but I wasn't easily able to give up four days to interview for the job.
There seems to be alot of headhunters in Colorado from my looking for a new job. I've only seen this once many years ago 20ish when Cutco more or less interviewed in batches with their final pics being put together. This sounds like a total red flag but who knows.

I would never do an interview like that. Very unprofessional.

Rather collect welfare first and pick up nickel cans.

I worked in a place that sounded like that once. The manager would berate the help and chew them out in front of other employees.
Take me into the office, close the door and chew away. I can handle that.

One day, the manager made a mistake of doing it in front of a customer. Big guy, probably 6'6" and 250 LBS. Built like an ox!
He turned the tables and treated the manager in the same way, in front of all the workers. It was pretty funny to watch him with nothing to say. Big guy would have kicked his butt too. He said go into an office and close the door. Now you get back some of your own medicine in front of all these people! :ROFLMAO:

I actually went through an interview like this. Initial interview was with HR where they selected 4 finalists. Only difference is they didn't tell us the final interview was going be conducted this way. We were all somewhat surprised when we showed up for the interview and the format was announced. I probably could have walked out at that point but figured since I took the time to show up I might as well go through with it. It was very weird and not something I would choose to do if I new it up front.

Lots of different ways to interview. For the job I have now, I interviewed three times over Zoom, once with HR, and once with the hiring manager, and once with another manager (three hours total)...was offered more than I was asking, and more than I have made in my life. I know manage an R&D test team. I had to take the job without ever setting foot in the facility. We have a 75+% remote workforce. I work onsite though...which I prefer.

When I was in college back in EARLY 2000's I had an interview with Anheuser Busch. Here was that process...

1) On-campus interview with two people for 1 hour
2) Half day interview in St. Louis at the plant with four different teams (brew lines)
2) Flew to Florida for independent evaluation = 1 full day at a contract company that tested me in different situations and knowledge
3) Received certified letter saying I passed the first three rounds, on to the final round
4) Final round was back to St. Louis for a FULL day of interviews with the remaining 5 candidates...there were 6 of us total. We were group interviewed, single interviewed, and even spent an hour with Adolphus Busch III in a 1 on 1.

Two weeks later I got another certified letter saying I didn't make the cut. :-(
That position was for a brewmaster for a line of beer. I would run the entire line including being in charge of tasting :) I'm sure that job would have been bad for my health anyways ;-)

Sounds like the employer wants the applicants to demonstrate the crabs in a bucket mentality. Fascinating but cruel method of picking a winner. Modern version of corporate gladiators.

1714580427590.jpg

Quantum Thinker

Last job I accepted, was on the phone only with HR. He said I was the first person he hired on the phone, with no meeting. I was there 18 years and retired from the place. I had to look the place up on the map before work. :ROFLMAO:

It was for a phone tech support. He could tell from my phone skills and mechanical background that I would perform well. Made some great friends at that place, and we still stay in touch.(y)

If someone pull this reality show nonsense in an interview I would withdraw right away. This is the kind of company that would pull a death match between coworkers to see who would survive and who would be eliminated to keep their cost low. There are less toxic workplace out there than this even at a lower pay.

Beyond the nonsense, I have noticed this perspective that you should give up multiple days of your life to interview. No thanks. One company wanted me to go to a 2 day interview plus travel years ago. I declined for the same reasons you did. They pressed. I suggested they pay me 3 days of my billable rate - I could send them an invoice, and they could W2 me. That ended the discussion, which answered every question I needed to know.

The problem with declining to continue the interview process with this as the next step is that they come away from it thinking, 'then I guess you're not the kind of person we're looking for'. That's their problem of course, but it reinforces their reasoning for doing it that way which is stupid.

Then they will wine that no qualified candidates want their stupid jobs.
Thinking about this-If I was compensated (other than travel) for this interview process I would have less of an issue. You want to block out three or four days of my life (inc. travel time) cough up compensation for this process. Dream land...I know.

The problem with declining to continue the interview process with this as the next step is that they come away from it thinking, 'then I guess you're not the kind of person we're looking for'. That's their problem of course, but it reinforces their reasoning for doing it that way which is stupid.
If so- that's a simplistic view by the employer-and would be wrong in many cases.

Back