Social media - like Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started using X (formerly twitter) a year ago to read daily commentary from some very well credentialed economists who put it out there for free. I have never posted anything, and you can set it up to only see posts in your feed from those you are "subscribed" to. I found the ones I subscribe to usually by listening to a podcast or reading something elsewhere and thinking I wanted to know more. I think its a really good tool. Its also very unobtrusive - once I signed up, they have never asked for anything further. They do interlace adds in the post, but they say "ad" directly at the top so you know to just ignore.

I use LinkedIn to keep track of the hundreds of people I worked with over the years. If your not in a job where you literally meet new people every week, then I can see it being not that useful. I don't post, but do use it to message these people from time to time - like when they change jobs or whatever - wish them well, etc.

Facebook is worthless to me. I tried signing up just to view FBM and they constantly were asking for more information. They eventually locked me out because I wouldn't upload a picture. I suppose I could have uploaded the pic of a tire or something but I was just tired of it. My 20 and 22 YO daughters tell me Faceplant is for old people anyway. Probably why they bought instagram. I think the younguns are using snapchat more, so we see how facebook does over time.

An in
I understand what your are saying but a reporter is your best chance of getting accurate news reported. Better than someone who sits in an office who tries to write articles without having witnessed event.

It comes down to who you trust to bring you accurate news. I think PBS is fair & balanced.

I think FOX News probably has mostly accurate news if you watch the news only segments and not delve into the entertainment segments.
PBS is definitely pro government to one side. And they omit a heck of a lot as does CNN, etc. They just won't show any weakness in certain leaders, but will be snidely vicious with others. The total worst thing about American media. It's not necessarily a new thing. One paper in 19XX would say one thing, the other in 19XX would say another.

Some of the worst is CBS and ABC RADIO news. They have said things that are actually 180° from the truth. Flat lies. Then they never correct.

Fox is kind of hyperbolic, but they probably omit the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back