Is -25F rated washer fluid good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving through the upper peninsula of Michigan I've had the -25 freeze on the windshield along with the spring mechanism in conventional wiper blades. All I use now is -35 and the beam style wiper blade.

You need a little B.S factor for temps due to the alcohol flashing off and lowering the rest of the fluid via evaporation. IMO the -25 and better stuff have additional "sparkle" besides methanol which could be helpful even at 0-10'F temps.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Growing up in ND back in the 60's and 70's, my dad used to always dump in a bottle of drug store alcohol in to the washer fluid reservoir every winter. He added it to the blue stuff which is good to -25. Not sure how much lower it could go with the alcohol,

Texas heat boils off all the alcohol, so in the late fall/winter I toss in a bottle of 70% isopropyl

Keeps the tank "liquid", and also helps deice the windshield if needed.

It depends. Stuff like that was common used in the taxis, but was never a problem, regardless of temperature, simply because the engines rarely shut off for any lengthy period of time, and there was more than enough ambient heat to keep it liquid on even the worst days. However, there were nights where I have seen frozen washer fluid reservoirs, but that's at -40 and colder, and a vehicle that hadn't moved for a day or two. As for the gooey mess talk, this stuff look very much like the Loblaw's President's Choice washer fluid, which is totally overdone with the dye, looking like someone dropped a toilet puck into the bottle.

For your temperatures, I doubt you'll have the slightest issue with performance. I'm not sure where you get your gas, but Petro-Canada and Esso with their programs would keep you awash with washer fluid fairly easily.

I have been buying my gas at Shell lately because I found it took forever with Petro Canada to rack up points for free fuel but with Shell and Air Miles it takes way less time as they have way more bonus offers. I prefer to redeem points for fuel as opposed to free washer fluid or car washes.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
If we're talking about the Supertech house brand, the blue dye in there will clump up and clog your washer pump. Blue and green mixes are affected. If you don't believe me, leave a jug in your garage for a few months and look inside. You'll find blue stringy clumps of dye.

As shown above though, it's not the blue stuff, it's pink. So we're talking about two different kinds here.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
My bottle says -20. Site says 0*
https://www.rainx.com/product/windshield-washer-fluid/rain-x-all-season-windshield-washer-fluid/

There are 3 different kinds of Orange!
33.gif
All Season 0*, 2-in-1 -25*, and De-Icer -25*, look at the links to the left side. Normally for DC it's the 2-in-1 everywhere, but I found I have a jug of De-Icer too. Why two different -25*s? Marketing should be fired for that indistinct labeling. The Green is Summer Bug Remover +32*

I've used the blue winter stuff from Walmart. I try to only buy the winter stuff, so I tend to stock up in winter so I have fluid for the summer.

I try to avoid using the washer in cold weather. I'm not sure when I've needed to use it at all for when temps were below +10F or so. Below that and everything stays frozen it seems--no need to use washer fluid.

Originally Posted By: Gary
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
My bottle says -20. Site says 0*
https://www.rainx.com/product/windshield-washer-fluid/rain-x-all-season-windshield-washer-fluid/

There are 3 different kinds of Orange!
33.gif
All Season 0*, 2-in-1 -25*, and De-Icer -25*, look at the links to the left side. Normally for DC it's the 2-in-1 everywhere, but I found I have a jug of De-Icer too. Why two different -25*s? Marketing should be fired for that indistinct labeling. The Green is Summer Bug Remover +32*

Maybe one of the -25 formulas has less VOCs to meet some EPA requirement and therefore has to have different labels so they can tell it apart at the warehouse.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I have been buying my gas at Shell lately because I found it took forever with Petro Canada to rack up points for free fuel but with Shell and Air Miles it takes way less time as they have way more bonus offers. I prefer to redeem points for fuel as opposed to free washer fluid or car washes.

The simplest then, well, if it were me, anyhow, would be to run to Imperial Oil and grab a box of 4 x 4 L jugs of the Esso premium stuff. It's not outrageous to buy either at an Esso or Petro-Canada station, but Esso stations occasionally buy off brands, and the distributor would be a bit cheaper.

I haven't filled up at Petro-Canada for over three years, and not very often with Esso, but three tankfuls of premium are enough to get a jug of -45 C Esso washer fluid. The ordinary station prices at either place are pretty close to a CT regular price. Of course, they'll all get spanked by a U.S. Walmart, but that's another matter altogether.

I now have way too much windshield washer fluid! I picked up two jugs of the -46C stuff from Real Canadian Superstore yesterday for $3.99 and then today when I went to Costco they had the -45C stuff in a box of 4 for $11! I still have one jug and a bit of the -25F stuff, two jugs of the -35C stuff and one left of the -49C! Some of us have oil stashes and some of us have wiper fluid stashes! LOL!

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Use the -25 for late winter.

I would suggest (for Patman), to use in FL to dispell the slow-third-lane-pokers.
(You have to drive in FL to get the joke.....)

I now have way too much windshield washer fluid! I picked up two jugs of the -46C stuff from Real Canadian Superstore yesterday for $3.99 and then today when I went to Costco they had the -45C stuff in a box of 4 for $11! I still have one jug and a bit of the -25F stuff, two jugs of the -35C stuff and one left of the -49C! Some of us have oil stashes and some of us have wiper fluid stashes! LOL!

It went up a touch but it's still a great deal. Just might have to grab some myself, but I think my current stash will last me 2 years as it is!
crazy2.gif

For the heck of it you outta write the date on the bottles and mark the level on the open ones.

I'm not sure what the point of a stash is. Now they're starting to just sell regular 32F windshield washer fluid in the summer so I like to keep one bottle of -20F just in case there's a late storm or an early one and you can't find any. Otherwise I just dilute -20F in the summer.

I had to control myself at the auto parts store. The sales clerk was trying to convince some customer to get more expensive windshield washer fluid that was good to -30F. But around here, even at the coldest it doesn't get much colder beyond -10 and usually doesn't even hit 0. When it goes below 20F, it's considered cold. Just a waste of money. She was probably thinking about the wind chill which has no effect on inanimate objects like cars and fluids.

Also while oil doesn't really go bad, I think fluid can, the alcohol can evaporate in a bottle. Several stories of that happening when people use an old jug that was opened.

Don't totally know if I agree with wonder chill not having an affect on certain things.. Wind chill can and does cool down bridges that are elevated and with a very consistent wind blowing. I had to ride in a Pinto (of all cars) with my father who had been drinking too much... Two lane bridge... Long steel grate... Temperature was not below freezing at 37°. However, the wind was blowing consistently above 25 mph with gust over 40 mph. And guess what... That steel grate had water Frozen on it, on the rails has well. Needless to say I was more that a bit spooked out. At 12 yrs old I thought.. well this is it. I ain't making it out of this nonsense.
Another case where the wind obviously had an effect was on my lady's Camry. Driving down the road with temp at 6°F at 60 mph the radiator temp would drop a decent bit. Come to a stop for a bit at a stop light... And it would go up. Drive again and it would drop again a decent bit. Park the car at home for 15 minutes and it came up a lot more to near normal. I have no doubt that the wind from driving drove that radiator temp down. That wondering had to of had an impact upon that radiator temperature. And it was a darn cold wind at that. Just my opinion on that. Even on a windshield that would be going down the road at 60 mph at 6°F it is bound to cause a wind chill affect upon it. It may not be to the same affect as what it is that affects human skin. But it has to have an impact to some degree. I'd bet a motor that had been run for an hour and then turned off and let to sit with zero exposure to consistent cold wind would cool down slower than one that had been exposed to a consistent cold wind. The radiating from the motor with no wind would not be cooling off as quickly. The cold wind would be constantly and consistently removing the heat away from the motor thus making more efficient in it losing it's heat quicker. Nature is always trying to find balance. In this circumstance the process would be faster due to those conditions.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I'm not sure what the point of a stash is.

I just got out of control, buying stuff that was on sale! If I had just been patient until I had found the deal at Costco, my supply would be much lower. I'm not buying any more until I use up what I have now!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Don't totally know if I agree with wonder chill not having an affect on certain things..
Another case where the wind obviously had an effect was on my lady's Camry

Both of those are affected by wind chill.

IF you have a dry concrete road and its 40f out with 100mph winds.. the road will be 40f
If its a wet road it could temporarily be below 40f due to evaporation.

If you are cooling down a warmer object such as car antifreeze.. movement of air will definitely have an effect but not below ambient temp.

So if you took a 450F cast iron pan.. yes it will cool faster with a 20mph wind blowing across it but not Below ambient temp. so while it may cool the 450f pan down to the outside temp of 40f faster.. it wont go below 40f.

Now take a windshield with 0f outside temp when dry it wont cool below 0f even when driving 65mph... but when you spray water/washer fluid on it.. the fluid evaporates and can be colder than the ambient 0f.. much colder. also the alcohol will evaporate first leaving the water portion to possibly refreeze on the window.

I have not covered all aspects of this.. such as using wipers, window being warmier than ambient temp due to defroster etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back