iPhone Metadata?

Y_K

Or is it something else? I am back from helping an NGO in Ukraine, and this where every security guy makes sure you are not an iPhone user.
Everyone i asked would give me a vague non-answer, but it seems that those are the easiest to track from satellites.

I could see it being a concern with the 14’s and 15’s having satellite connectivity. Otherwise they use the same cellular bands and Bluetooth standards as any other phone. If I were over there I’d be turning on “Lockdown” mode on my phone just as a precaution.

I'm no an iPhone user but from what I can gather they are pretty leaky and easy to hack. Android is Linux based if that makes it any better, I don't know.

iPhones don't just go quiescent in airplane mode is the main concern.

Track by ruskies is the concern
I heard of a case where some guy, maybe a Ukrainian soldier, had his AirPods stolen by the Russians when they looted his apartment. It somehow showed up on Apple's Find My Network. The coordinates were used to send a rocket to the thief.

I heard of a case where some guy, maybe a Ukrainian soldier, had his AirPods stolen by the Russians when they looted his apartment. It somehow showed up on Apple's Find My Network. The coordinates were used to send a rocket to the thief.
Sounds like good use of the $100 billion we have sent them...

Enough said...

53417497010_1baea927cd_c.jpg

Sounds like good use of the $100 billion we have sent them...
Not to get political or anything, but the money is supposedly going to US companies that make the rockets, equipment, ammo, etc. Who ever assembles those munitions is probably getting a lot of overtime as are the companies that supply parts / material are receiving a nice boost in production.

Not to get political or anything, but the money is supposedly going to US companies that make the rockets, equipment, ammo, etc. Who ever assembles those munitions is probably getting a lot of overtime as are the companies that supply parts / material are receiving a nice boost in production.
Not to mention a lot of the stuff sent at least initially had been sitting around since the cold war. If we didn't use it in Iraq, we were likely going to pay someone to scrap it for us eventually. Ukraine was doing us a favor. No US soldier is going to be fighting a war on the European plain with Stinger missiles and old tanks, that's what we have an air force for.

Could be a myriad of stuff. Ios is kinda wonky in the way it operates. For instance a software radio switch in other operating systems usually on/off switches. Ios everything in the control center, is to turn off new connections and then turn off completely. In ios, every update is wonky in the way it enables certain settings rather then keep your previous settings state. For example, apple in ios 17 has this new location function that memorizes significant locations. If you have location services off, after the update significant locations and analytics as well turn back on.

Having a single entity as the only power broker is great for non techies. For everyone else, do your homework and remove the marketing about privacy first nonsense.

It's not political its factual.. War makes politicians rich.

Once you start putting apps on your device iOS or Android and start allowing permissions your backdoor is good as Left wide open. Especially especially and I will repeat especially anything social media based and anything and everything meta owns.

apple in ios 17 has this new location function that memorizes significant locations.
Not new to 17 has been in iOS for sometime I learned this out by shutting it off. My phone stopped optimized and clean energy charging.

If you have location services off, after the update significant locations and analytics as well turn back on.
None of my previous settings been changed by iOS 17 even to the latest And current update.

Right... We are paying their government salaries and pensions and probably everything to run the country since the war started. A quick google search will show lots of articles about this.

With all that said, I wouldn't trust any phone system if I was on an OP in Ukraine. I don't think Apple is any worse than others.

Back