Please recommend oil filter for 2009 Corolla

Could someone please a recommend an oil filter for Corolla 2009 (1.8L/synthetic oil)? I saw someone saying on this forum that XG4386 is one of the best filters for 2009 Corolla, but Amazon shows that XG4389 doesn't fit that model. Also, RockAuto doesn't list XG4386 under oil filters for 2009 Corolla.

What XG filter does Fram's look-up tool say it should be?

Could someone please a recommend an oil filter for Corolla 2009 (1.8L/synthetic oil)? I saw someone saying on this forum that XG4386 is one of the best filters for 2009 Corolla, but Amazon shows that XG4389 doesn't fit that model. Also, RockAuto doesn't list XG4386 under oil filters for 2009 Corolla.

You don't need an XG .. you can get one of these and they would be fine:

The XG10358 is out of stock at Rock….

That appears to be the can filter for the 2.4l in 2009. Yours appears to be this cartridge one, $11:

https://www.amazon.com/FRAM-XG10358-Ultra-Synthetic-Filter/dp/B01HU1MTJ6

And yes, it would be among the best for that car.

Could someone please a recommend an oil filter for Corolla 2009 (1.8L/synthetic oil)? I saw someone saying on this forum that XG4386 is one of the best filters for 2009 Corolla, but Amazon shows that XG4389 doesn't fit that model.
If it is an 09 with 1.8L, the spin on type 4386 definitely won't work. As the suggestions indicate, that engine uses a cartridge type filter. OEM a good place to start. As long as fit in housing good, aftermarket choices should work equally well. Don't recall seeing any issues with aftermarket cartridges in Toyota housing.

Any name brand filter will be fine. Despite the marketing claims, the oil filter will not make a difference . Regular oil changes and making sure the air filter is not clogged and intake plumbing is sealed is what gives long engine life.

Is Fram Extra Guard just as good as OEM?
Sometimes you just can't beat OEM form & fitment. While I still run aftermarket filters I've had Ultra's callaps on themselves (Bulge Inwards) whereas the OEM is straight with almost double the miles put on it. You may find that Fram does well but OEM filters are excellent.

Is Fram Extra Guard just as good as OEM?
Hi Alisito,
The OEMs typically don't publish performance specs for their filters. We do know they're made to meet the OCI of your vehicle.

The Extra Guard is a 10k mile rated filter at 95% efficiency at 30 microns which will work great for you.

For a few dollars more the Tough Guard version is at 99% efficiency at 20 microns and is a 15k mile filter... a really excellent value.

Last edited:
Hi Danny M,
The Tough Guard and Extra Guard have the same construction with the the exception of the filter media. In your experience, how is the Extra Guard a hit and miss?
Not sure what the other posters intentions were but some TG's are made from different countries, than EG, that may differ in their construction.

Back