Inability to get oil to operating temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Atomic
This car specs 5w-50; no other oil weights are mentioned as an option. Ford is obviously convinced this motor needs it. Being a 2.3L DI Turbo that puts out 350hp, that is a lot of stress, especially the way most of these cars are driven. Mine sees wide open throttle and high revs daily.

The past week or two, it has been near or below zero many mornings in the Cincy area. Not to mention I spent a few days in northern IL where it was well below freezing. 15w-50 as someone mentioned is not an option. Given the car is driven hard year round, stepping down a weight doesn't sit well with me either.

The RS does not have active flaps like the ST, which I owned previously before it was totaled in a hit and run. I have a bluetooth OBD scanner that reads coolant temps and I've never seen any vehicle i've owned fail to get over 160-170 degree oil temps in a 30+ mile commute. I suppose it could be that the oil cooler is just that efficient when it's near zero. My concern was the impact this has on the oil over a long interval, and given my driving style and length of commute, if I should consider dialing back from a 7.5k OCI.

Thanks!
Yeah,I'd dial the oci back to 5 on every oci. Particularly,if your are concerned with maintaining viscosity. Higher residual viscosity at 5,000 than at 7,500.

Hyundai on the Gen Coupe 2L turbos has ECU programming to limit boost under 150F oil temp. When they bumped up the HP by 40 or so they set the limit to 160F before full boost.

People in Canada were never seeing the 160F oil temps so never got more than 5 psi boost in the winter.

I thought that the common wisdom perpetuated here is that thin oils remove heat faster and run cooler and that thick oils essentially rob power from the engine, along with all the metal grinding that's going on because they are thick like molasses. So going by that, a 5w50 oil should be at operating temps in no time.

Nothing wrong with this thicker oil, but lots of wrong with the thick headed advice given here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back