In response to all these M1 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 is too successful. All the most idiotic people use M1 because that's the default synthetic now. Idiotic because apparently, M1 is supposed to be this miracle product that is a failure if anything ever goes wrong with the car. Sludge under the valve cover? Can't be any reason other than oil.

At the same time, some great people use M1 but get really irritated by all the M1 bashing and make accusations, sometimes personal against anyone even making the slightest negative remark about M1.

Mobil 1 is the gold standard in Synthetic Motor Oil when it comes to marketing and commercial success. Their available product range covers more applications than any other synthetic motor oil company with Castrol playing catchup (just starting to see 0w20 from them when M1 had it years ago) and SOPUS struggling to convince shops to stock their products. I also note that M1 is the only company of the syn oil companies that actually competes in the oil filter market, a market for an essential product when doing oil changes.

When we see any M1 bashing, let's take it with a grain of salt. Everyone hates #1 (in success)

Just an average guy's observations.....

It seems 15 minutes of fame will make a target of anything or anyone. Rare is the person, product or company that is immune. It seems that human nature just works that way.

The world is supposed to beat a path to your door if you build a better mousetrap--later on, your better mousetrap gets stomped on, usually due to jealousy and "dog piling." Best examples: Wal-Mart, Microsoft, medical miracles, most celebrities and politicians!

M1 is a great product. What you've seem to have missed in your analysis is the totally blind loyalty that would make you think that some members send the wife and kids to the root cellar and lock and load for the attack on their home turf.

..both dispositions are somewhat "irrational". I find it very entertaining in my ongoing study of the human condition.

M1 will not love you more or hate you less regardless of how much you stick up for it. Neither will any other oil. It doesn't care. Now XOM may get some enjoyment out of such behaviors, but the oil will just sit there in the jug and (not) look at you with 100% bona fide indifference to your "feelings".

I've never got an "atta boy!!" from motor oil.

I think Mobil makes good oils, I especially like their Clean 5000 line. Now I feel that engines are like people and they all have their things they like and dislike. Until I tried Mobil EP in my Scion, I never had a problem at all with Mobil oils in my GM cars.

Like all things there is not a product that does it all. Mobil does a lot but I wont be using it in my Toyota again. However in my friends GM vehicles its on my top three to recommend list.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
M1 is too successful. All the most idiotic people use M1 because that's the default synthetic now.

Lots of people use it because their logo is printed on their oil cap.

Mobil is one of the most successful marketing companies in the world. Good marketing and product positioning sells product, and got them to #1. McDonalds doesn't make the best tasting, healthiest burgers in the world yet they are #1. It is all marketing. It has nothing to do with product quality, sorry.

Mobil makes some good products, them being the very best is an opinion, based on marketing claims, beliefs, but not facts. Truth is no one here really knows what oil is the very best. JMO

The M1 threads of late were started with the intent of creating a forum to bring out the M1 bashers, which there are many here at BITOG. Need proof of that? Just read the post. Since M1 is the top synt, and comes from one of the largest and most successful corporations in the world, some can't help critize all aspects of the company. When I first started posting last year, I was warned I would be jumped on for making possitive comments about my many years of using this oil. And it's just oil. The bashing here often goes well beyond oil discussion. It's a sport for some.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Mobil is one of the most successful marketing companies in the world. Good marketing and product positioning sells product, and got them to #1. McDonalds doesn't make the best tasting, healthiest burgers in the world yet they are #1. It is all marketing. It has nothing to do with product quality, sorry.

Mobil makes some good products, them being the very best is an opinion, based on marketing claims, beliefs, but not facts. Truth is no one here really knows what oil is the very best. JMO

I agree with you. Even though I haven't found any reason to try other oils, I have never said M1 is the very best oil there is, but I do believe it's amoung em. Today, Pennz is an outstanding product which I would use with no problem at all. In my view one of the best, as is Amsoil.

I for one have not read anything all that 'special'about M1. I have never used it and probably never will.I'm old school.REAL synthetics are extended drain,.Anything less is just wording and a little bit better refined. To me theres only a few real synthetic oils on the market.Standard M1 is not one of them to me.

Standard M1 used to be a "REAL" synthetic. They are all now Group 3(PP/PU, M1, Syntec/Edge etc). There is no best oil, people need to realize this. There is a best for application which is specific to your needs(emotional & physical). Emotional because you think your car is better running XYZ brand of oil. A happy car is a happy owner right? Physical because your engine doesn't make those weird sounds anymore so it has to be better?

It's all opinion, use what your happy with and stop the h8. I've used M1 for 8+ years in my 01 Impala since new. Used it in the Xterra and now have a fill of it in the G6. Wife's car has been using M1 0w30 and 5w30 for 2 years. Her car "sounds" better using M1 over QS/PP fills I've used before. Less noise which pleases her and it is smoother.

I am done, done done with synthetics for my own vehicles after this fill. I'm going down the path that Bill and many other BITOGer's are on. A synthetic(none of which are truly unless you look at the boutique oils) is a waste in my application. I rather save the 10-15 bucks and use it towards something more beneficial. The car is going to last a long time regardless.

The MB-1 0W-30 is the only oil that I used in the past,that I can feel a definite difference in the motor.Feels like it unleashes all the horses some how.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I agree with you. Even though I haven't found any reason to try other oils, I have never said M1 is the very best oil there is, but I do believe it's amoung em. Today, Pennz is an outstanding product which I would use with no problem at all. In my view one of the best, as is Amsoil.

No reason for you to try another oil, from all you've written (positively) about M1 there is no reason you should change. It is clearly living up to your expectations, and in the end that's all that matters. Honestly had I not been treated by their techs the way I was a while back I'd probably still be using it too. I'm funny when it comes to things like CS, and it doesn't take much to set me off. Typically my vehicles fall apart, NY roads and traffic takes its toll. Or after 20+ years of owning them I get tired of them and move on. LOL

I choose to use Mobil 1 as a standard cuz it's always available at my local PEP BOYS consistantly.

If Quaker State "Q" was just as if not more available that M1 then you just might see me use this product much mire too.

Besides on TV who runs more advertising on the Speed Channel and Spike TV????

Durango

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
M1 is a great product. What you've seem to have missed in your analysis is the totally blind loyalty that would make you think that some members send the wife and kids to the root cellar and lock and load for the attack on their home turf.

..both dispositions are somewhat "irrational". I find it very entertaining in my ongoing study of the human condition.

M1 will not love you more or hate you less regardless of how much you stick up for it. Neither will any other oil. It doesn't care. Now XOM may get some enjoyment out of such behaviors, but the oil will just sit there in the jug and (not) look at you with 100% bona fide indifference to your "feelings".

lol.gif

Exactly! It's just oil for goodness sake. ahaha.. this site is mental with the allegiances some have.

No corporate entity owns my soul... not unless they provide me with free oil
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors

lol.gif

Exactly! It's just oil for goodness sake. ahaha.. this site is mental with the allegiances some have.

grin2.gif

Actually I never gave much thought to engine oil before coming to BITOG and reading all the M1 bashers tripe about how bad it is.

I just went to the store and bought M1.

Went home and changed out M1.

Drove my car 10K on M1.

In the last 32 years put 1.1 to 1.5 million miles on M1 with never an oil related engine, tranny, ps pump, wheel bearing failure issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Feels like it unleashes all the horses some how.

You must be talking about the "Q" line, haha.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: webfors

lol.gif

grin2.gif

Actually I never gave much thought to engine oil before coming to BITOG and reading all the M1 bashers tripe about how bad it is.

I just went to the store and bought M1.

Went home and changed out M1.

Drove my car 10K on M1.

In the last 32 years put 1.1 to 1.5 million miles on M1 with never an oil related engine, tranny, ps pump, wheel bearing failure issue.

As we've heard ..many times
grin2.gif
..hmmmm..but is it all tripe?? Not one sliver of truth to anything that detracts from the venerable M1's reputation???

You know, my grandfather smoked every day of his adult life. He died at 91. I'd say that for 70+ years smoking was responsible for not a single problem with his heart, liver, kidneys and all the other major organs. Time did that.

Love you, pal!
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back