Impressed-WALMART

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
$12 per tire for mounting, LifeTime rotation & balancing plus new valve stems for tires bought at WalMarts. If you bring tire purchased elsewhere the charge is $22. Ed

WalMart charges to mount tires that you bought from them?
I'll have to remember that, that has always been done for free when I bought tires at a shop. ~$50 is not totally trivial when pricing out tire purchases...wonder if there is a disposal fee for the old tires, too? I always forget that one and I can take them to my town's dump for free because I know a guy who works there, but it's not worth the hassle for me.

What I've experienced with some smaller local tire shops, the cost of mounting and balancing is rolled into the price of the tire. You're not getting it done for free.

I've checked the typical mounting & balancing cost at TIRERACKS recommended places and the charge is typically $75 to $80 for 4 tires and most charge extra for lifetime rotating and balancing. WM price is a bargain for sure. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
$12 per tire for mounting, LifeTime rotation & balancing plus new valve stems for tires bought at WalMarts. If you bring tire purchased elsewhere the charge is $22. Ed

Thank you , :)

Originally Posted By: JTK
Prices for mount and balance will vary by location. When I carried in my discount tire direct wheels and OEM TPM sensors to have WalMart Douglas brand tires mounted on them, they charged me $9/ea for the mount and balance, and $2.50/wheel for a NY State tire tax. This price does not include lifetime rotations (that's extra), but it does include lifetime balancing. They did a great job IMO. I would use them again. For buying tires at Walmart, just be sure to check the tire price online first. They tried to sell me my Douglas tires @ $69/ea when they were listed at $59 online. Got'em for $59.

I would probably buy them online , delivered to the local store . That should insure I got the lower price .

Thanks , :)

You can't beat their price for a tire rotation either of $2.50 per tire. I've had them do a few sets in the past on vehicles where the tires were purchased elsewhere.

Walmart uses proper torque and no upselling
smile.gif

I took my '64 Ford Falcon in for a full set of tires. The manager had a set of Nexen trailer tires that he wanted to move for a good price. They were only a couple inches narrower than the tires coming off. I was watching at the customer viewing window and was pleased to see the mechanic had many merit badges on his shirt, must have attended all the tire schools. He and his helper worked at a very relaxed pace to ensure against mistakes from rushing. They took a couple breaks for a cold Pepsi as the shop was hot (77 degrees !!). Tire balance was done with a precision electric balancer. While one tire called for 4oz, the helper accurately stacked (4) 1oz weights to regain the center. Smart and good people are hard to find these days. I was out in a little under 2 hours (They broke my floor shifter and had to JB Weld it back) The ride in town is nice. One the hiway it is a little choppy but that may be the car.

I've had multiple bad experiences with Walmart tire shops. These were different shops, so it's not just one bad shop.

I'm glad other people seem to like them, but I won't go back unless I'm in a pinch and they're the only option.

I am glad to hear it. I have mentioned this in prior conversations but the quality is based on the technician and the manager ensuring that quality is being offered. You can have great techs at a Walmart and aweful techs at a dealership or indy shop. If somebody cares about what they do and their manager and making sure that the work being done by their techs are quality then you see good stories like this.

Finally: I knew that even though I posted a positive email and was received positively that there would be some who always likes to rain on anyones parade. Ed

I love these stories. Usually all you hear about is the bad these places do but I'm sure they do more good than bad. I'm lucky I have a Valvoline quick lube that does a good job. Do I go home and check the oil and make sure it's not leaking, of course I do, but I did it when I changed my own oil to.

Last edited:
Had to read "Walmart" and "impressed" in the same sentence. Your age and experience lends weight to your opinion-glad to hear it. I have a really good relationship and results from my neighborhood Firestone Auto Care because I seek out the manager and make sure he knows everytime I'm in there. I had a "road hazard" incident yesterday when my wife hit a curb head-on at 50 mph and blew out a 9 month old tire and it was taken care of promptly and professionally.

After Discount Tire did not cover a road hazard for me today - I'll have to give Walmart a try - oddly enough I see grownup folks working there and all kids at DT ...

I've personally had great luck with Tire Barn and have read others here (people here who seem very knowledgeable mind you) not wanting to ever step foot in the place. I have no complaints about my local Walmart, but I've only purchased a single spare from them. Whatever their $75 Wrangler AT is.

Just goes to show that your mileage may vary. Region by region and store by store.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
After Discount Tire did not cover a road hazard for me today - I'll have to give Walmart a try - oddly enough I see grownup folks working there and all kids at DT ...

Curious-what were the circumstances for which they denied coverage?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I've personally had great luck with Tire Barn and have read others here (people here who seem very knowledgeable mind you) not wanting to ever step foot in the place. I have no complaints about my local Walmart, but I've only purchased a single spare from them. Whatever their $75 Wrangler AT is.

Just goes to show that your mileage may vary. Region by region and store by store.

Same same with Firestone. This is the devil of retail-turnover. It's a revolving door. If they do get a good ASC mechanic, they never leave them in one place but move them to trouble spots.

Pulled factory Hankook tires at 10k - horrible in rain (our main threat) - DT put on 275/20 Eagle GTII - satisfied with those - At 35k wife ran over something at highway speed - Tire lost air very fast and rode rim while getting under control - roadside (mom & pop) plugged tire / I get back from business trip and see the tire shows deformities in sidewall so drive to DT. Started Ok with we have one tire and you have certificate - but before I could finish a coffee I was "good to go" / asked what they did and how big was the hole this guy plugged - the kid did not know and called in his 30 year old manager who said unless we see damage inside the tire no claim - I'm looking at a pile of blown out tires and said sell me your last tire - my family, my $50k vehicle, and my time over $240 ? (including another certificate of course) - that's tire 6 for this vehicle bought counting the spare and have bought over a dozen and a half sets at this store ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back