Cooper Zeon RS3-G1: Initial Review

When I purchased my Regal, it was wearing 5 year old General Altimax RT43's. The tires were in OK shape, having 7/32's remaining, but the RT43 is in NO way a performance tire and therefore had no business being installed on a car like my GS.

Tire Rack had the Zeon RS3-G1's on sale a while back, along with a $50 rebate from Cooper on a set 4. Total price after rebate came to $450 and change, plus $150 to have them mounted for a total cost of $600.

So far, I'm liking the Cooper's. They're quieter at speed than the General's were, and the handling is night and day. I could instantly feel how much stiffer the sidewall is on the Cooper's: so much so that the car now feels like the suspension is in sport mode all the time.

I do have a bit of a high frequency vibration in the 58-63 MPH range, however I'm going to get a few miles on the tires before passing judgement. The 2-lane roads in rural WI aren't the greatest place to judge a tire, either.

Speaking of WI: If anyone here is local to the Menomonie area and need tire work, give the guys at TMS tire a shout. I no longer have access to a tire machine, so I've had to relent and farm out tire work. I let WM handle our Kia and Jeep tires, but there was no way I was letting them anywhere near my Regal. The quality of service at TMS was unreal. I showed up a half hour early for my appointment, they had already pulled my car in by the time my original appointment came and went. Car was done by 1, and I am thoroughly impressed with the work: tons of tire lubricant used during installation, valve stems aligned with the red OEM dot, TPMS relearned and all 4 tires set to exactly the right pressure. I didn't double check wheel torque when I got home, nor do I see a reason to given the quality of the rest of the job.

Cooper's are some of the best value tire. They have been excellent for me too. Good review & experience.

Back