Lug nuts for “Sport Edition” brand wheels?

I bought a set of these wheels secondhand for my 5th Generation 4Runner with the intent to put on a set of dedicated snow tires. I bought the tires, then I didn’t realize that the stock lug nuts won’t work.

Does anyone know what the specs are of the lug nuts that I need? Can you point me to a good source?

Thank you.

Get us a good close up pic of one lug hole.

Whatever you get for lug nuts, make sure they grab enough threads, too.

1699799340055.jpg

Neighbors '16 4Runner is Hubcentric for the factory alloys. Lug nuts fit through the holes and sit with a washer flat on face.

The lug nuts are also tapered at the end as the steel spare wheel is much thinner there and has a tapered seat for lugs to secure against.

My '17 Accord has a rounded (ball) seat for the factory rims.

Factory '16 4Runner lug looks like this. My '03 Sequoia was the same.
1699799560951.jpg

I bought a set of these wheels secondhand for my 5th Generation 4Runner with the intent to put on a set of dedicated snow tires. I bought the tires, then I didn’t realize that the stock lug nuts won’t work.

Does anyone know what the specs are of the lug nuts that I need? Can you point me to a good source?

Thank you.
without a link to the wheels? No.

unless I feel like looking up what year a 5th gen 4runner is... and doing your work for you

Ok so I put in 2020 and it says no sport edition wheels fit your vehicle.

Neighbors '16 4Runner is Hubcentric for the factory alloys. Lug nuts fit through the holes and sit with a washer flat on face.

The lug nuts are also tapered at the end as the steel spare wheel is much thinner there and has a tapered seat for lugs to secure against.

My '17 Accord has a rounded (ball) seat for the factory rims.

Factory '16 4Runner lug looks like this. My '03 Sequoia was the same.
But none of that is relevant as he is running aftermarket wheels.

I think we need pic(s) of the wheels.

Last edited:
Also there are different radii for ball seats. I think VAG uses both r13 and r14, so who knows what Toyota may use. Sport Edition made some Mercedes wheels I had and tire rack couldn’t tell me what the radius was, nor could they sell me lug bolts. I sold the wheels. So who knows what yours may be.

Most likely they are probably acorn/tapered, as that seems pretty common for aftermarket, but you’d need to confirm yourself.

get a good eyeball on it. Buy 2-3 different lug nuts at advanced and check the off-car seating yourself.

Toyota is using lug bolts now? :eek:

I know lug bolts are more popular in German cars (Mercedes, VW, etc)
The last time I experienced lug bolts was back in 1989 with an old BMW 320i. There was an arbor in the spare tire tool kit that helped with lining up the wheel and hub holes. At least that's what I figured that arbor was for.

On Toyota aluminum rims you have to run the Toyota style mag-type lug nut with the washer, period. It is the only one designed like that!

Back