Ironman Radial A/P's, and the Walmart "experience"...

I just got home from having Walmart install 4 new Ironman Radial A/P's on our 2002 Grand Cherokee, and while I couldn't be happier with the actual work that was done, the customer service was SEVERELY lacking.

I got to my 11AM appointment on time and received a text at 11:45 saying service had started. Wonderful! Well, come 12:45 the manager on duty found me and told me "Sorry, the tires you ordered aren't the same size as what's on the door card. We can't install them for liability reasons. I've been trying to reach someone higher up to see if we can go ahead, but the person I need to speak with is at lunch."

Now, to be fair, she is correct: the 245/75R16 tires I ordered are not the same size as OE. They ARE, however, the same size that the truck had on it when I pulled in. I recognize that she was just doing her job, however the entire situation was handled poorly from a communication standpoint. Eventually, one of the tire tech's made the executive decision to move ahead with the job and had me out the door a little after 2pm.

The price just happened to be the elixir that helped make the pill easier to swallow: $650 out the door. The tires were made in Vietnam the second week of August 2023, so they're fresh stock which is awesome. This is the second set of Radial A/P's I've purchased, I had the same set on my last WJ and they make for a great all-around tire. Shameless photo drop below:
20231026_144620.jpg
20231026_144644.jpg

I just got home from having Walmart install 4 new Ironman Radial A/P's on our 2002 Grand Cherokee, and while I couldn't be happier with the actual work that was done, the customer service was SEVERELY lacking.

I got to my 11AM appointment on time and received a text at 11:45 saying service had started. Wonderful! Well, come 12:45 the manager on duty found me and told me "Sorry, the tires you ordered aren't the same size as what's on the door card. We can't install them for liability reasons. I've been trying to reach someone higher up to see if we can go ahead, but the person I need to speak with is at lunch."

Now, to be fair, she is correct: the 245/75R16 tires I ordered are not the same size as OE. They ARE, however, the same size that the truck had on it when I pulled in. I recognize that she was just doing her job, however the entire situation was handled poorly from a communication standpoint. Eventually, one of the tire tech's made the executive decision to move ahead with the job and had me out the door a little after 2pm.

The price just happened to be the elixir that helped make the pill easier to swallow: $650 out the door. The tires were made in Vietnam the second week of August 2023, so they're fresh stock which is awesome. This is the second set of Radial A/P's I've purchased, I had the same set on my last WJ and they make for a great all-around tire. Shameless photo drop below:
View attachment 185321View attachment 185322
Walmart is not alone with this policy. Did you know this beforehand? If not-it's on YOU.
You are lucky they installed them for you. SO-the customer service and the policy to install the tries is at this location. Now we have Walmart fodder (once) again. Let's see how many pages this thing goes....

Last edited:
The people who run the Walmart tire department seem to know nothing about tires or cars in general in my area. The guy who mounted the tires did a great job and took like 5 minutes to mount and balance a tire, the people running the show didn't even know how to use their computer system

Pretty sure the WM near me will install larger than placard size as long as they don't rub. They will not mount smaller.

For that kinda money I would have gone with a name brand like Goodyear Wranglers, $137 each.

Those tires are not in stock, nor would I have gone with them regardless. I refuse to install any GY products on any of my cars. The cheapest in-stock GY option in that size would be the Wrangler All Terrain at $203.23 a tire, or $240 more than what I paid.

Walmart is not alone with this policy. Did you know this beforehand? If not-it's on YOU.
You are lucky they installed them for you. SO-the customer service and the policy to install the tries is at this location. Now we have Walmart fodder (once) again. Let's see how many pages this thing goes....

While I'm fully aware of the issues that CAN arise when trying to have a shop install non-standard sizes, their website also lets you search for oversize tires by application. If the website will sell them, I believe the retailer should install them.

In the end, there was NO issue installing the tires and I did NOT have to sign any kind of waiver stating that I was accepting any kind of risk. I wasn't bashing WM, in fact I'm quite happy with the value I received. I just hoped for a little better communication, that's all.

To each his own but 1), I'm never in such a hurry that I couldn't have waited until they were back in stock, and 2) I'd take a tire made by one of the oldest and most respected tire brands in the USA before one made in a developing country half way around the world, especially if the price was similar.

To each his own but 1), I'm never in such a hurry that I couldn't have waited until they were back in stock, and 2) I'd take a tire made by one of the oldest and most respected tire brands in the USA before one made in a developing country half way around the world, especially if the price was similar.
Ironman is a Cooper made brand of tires. Not exactly a third world tire brand, but it is a value brand.

Last edited:
Ironman is a Cooper made brand of tires. Not exactly a third world tire brand, but it is a value brand.
It's a brand that is not liked on here....that's for sure.

Like other tire manufacturers under the low price segment, it has its manufacturing units in China. After the tires are made in this Asian country, it is imported to the USA for distributing.

As I understand, Hercules and Ironman tires is, to this day, still in partnership with Cooper Tires, strategically manufacturing certain tire models by leveraging Cooper’s portfolio, as of 2021, 10 tire manufacturing facilities around the world.

Where do you see that ?
1698419376728.jpg

Right from Walmart's own website. I realize that 245/75R16 is not a "factory" size, however I was told by the employee that the tires being installed have to match what's on the door sticker. Our Jeep came from the factory with 225/75R16 tires, Limited's came with larger 245/70R16 tires from the factory.

The employee specifically told me that the tires being installed HAVE to match what's on the door. What if I had wanted 245/70R16's installed? Would I have still received push back, or would they have looked up (assuming they knew how) ALL the possible options that my truck could have come from the factory and then accepted that 245/70R16 and 245/75R16 are close enough.

I've looked high and low for an exact policy from WM, and I can not find one. Anecdotal evidence from the internet shows that it's pretty much a hit or miss getting non-factory size tires installed at ANY tire vendor.

I do have a simple solution, however. Until I get my hands on my own tire machine for a good price, I'll be taking my tires back to the cities and having my guys at the old shop do my M&B's.

There are a lot of places that will NOT install tires if they are not the same speed rating that is on the door label... Same reason...Liability issues...

View attachment 185415

Right from Walmart's own website. I realize that 245/75R16 is not a "factory" size, however I was told by the employee that the tires being installed have to match what's on the door sticker. Our Jeep came from the factory with 225/75R16 tires, Limited's came with larger 245/70R16 tires from the factory.

The employee specifically told me that the tires being installed HAVE to match what's on the door. What if I had wanted 245/70R16's installed? Would I have still received push back, or would they have looked up (assuming they knew how) ALL the possible options that my truck could have come from the factory and then accepted that 245/70R16 and 245/75R16 are close enough.

I've looked high and low for an exact policy from WM, and I can not find one. Anecdotal evidence from the internet shows that it's pretty much a hit or miss getting non-factory size tires installed at ANY tire vendor.

I do have a simple solution, however. Until I get my hands on my own tire machine for a good price, I'll be taking my tires back to the cities and having my guys at the old shop do my M&B's.
A policy while usually documented and/or can be found online-doesn't mean it has to accessible to everyone else. What is your gripe? You didn't know about it? OR you didn't check beforehand anyway? OR now you can't find it (after the fact)?

This has been discussed before-

Last edited:
A policy while usually documented and/or can be found online-doesn't mean it has to accessible to everyone else. What is your gripe? You didn't know about it? OR you didn't check beforehand anyway? OR now you can't find it (after the fact)?

This has been discussed before-
Again, my only "gripe" was that it took them an hour to alert me to the situation, AFTER they had already taken the time to remove all 4 wheels from the truck. Better communication would have gone a long way.

I still feel it was overall a good experience.

It's a brand that is not liked on here....that's for sure.

Like other tire manufacturers under the low price segment, it has its manufacturing units in China. After the tires are made in this Asian country, it is imported to the USA for distributing.

As I understand, Hercules and Ironman tires is, to this day, still in partnership with Cooper Tires, strategically manufacturing certain tire models by leveraging Cooper’s portfolio, as of 2021, 10 tire manufacturing facilities around the world.

Cooper is now owned by Goodyear. Last week the Goodyear blimp was at the Cooper plant in Tupelo Ms. Big celebration welcom Cooper to the Goodyear family.

Cooper is now owned by Goodyear. Last week the Goodyear blimp was at the Cooper plant in Tupelo Ms. Big celebration welcom Cooper to the Goodyear family.

Being owned by Goodyear doesn't restrict them to USA manufacturing exclusively-does it?

Back