Important Tech Tip When Running a Mower on the Bench

Me too, but I've seen a lot of homeowners running their mowers on the driveway and on the street where their houses are facing and use the mower as a vacuum to round dry leaves from the ground through the mower bag
I don't think it is because people are dumb, they just get lazy, and safety becomes second. My father for example has been running a chainsaw longer than I've been alive heating with firewood. He never wore chaps and "didn't need them". I got him some chaps that he reluctantly started wearing, and a month after I got them he bumped his leg with the saw while cutting in an uneven pile. Would've been a nice hospital visit if he didn't have them on.

I have taken short cuts before when using equipment, nobody is immune, but starting a mower on a bench inside your garage is just asking for something to happen. Like running a piece of equipment in flip flops.

Reactions: 4WD
I don't think it is because people are dumb, they just get lazy, and safety becomes second. My father for example has been running a chainsaw longer than I've been alive heating with firewood. He never wore chaps and "didn't need them". I got him some chaps that he reluctantly started wearing, and a month after I got them he bumped his leg with the saw while cutting in an uneven pile. Would've been a nice hospital visit if he didn't have them on.

I have taken short cuts before when using equipment, nobody is immune, but starting a mower on a bench inside your garage is just asking for something to happen. Like running a piece of equipment in flip flops.
Hey quit hating on the flip flops man. They saved my foot from being impaled by a 1/4 inch thick metal triangle once. I got an acorn in my flip flop and so I was standing on one foot when the metal fell off the table, right where my foot was a few seconds before.

Years ago - I was a kid - was running a 1” spade bit on a drill press into a wooden “box” about 6” square and 2” tall. The drill press was home made and tall. The top plate was pressboard, and it was nailed/glued together. That spade bit caught and the box immediately spun. I knew it would fly apart and immediately dropped to the floor to avoid nails going into my chest and neck. As I went down, it flew apart. One of the nails pierced my upper lip and hit a tooth, didn’t break it. Glad it missed my eyes. (I may have had goggles on, I was generally thoughtful about safety as a kid in the shop).

A significant learning moment, however, was the failure of adapting a lawn mower engine to drive a 24” hovercraft propeller. It was a good piece, professionally carved by arrowprop. However, I tried to make the blade hub myself from old lawn mower parts. Propeller flew off while I was sitting right above it. That was bad. I bought prop hubs after that for the $65 they cost from then on. (Late 80s).

Hey quit hating on the flip flops man. They saved my foot from being impaled by a 1/4 inch thick metal triangle once. I got an acorn in my flip flop and so I was standing on one foot when the metal fell off the table, right where my foot was a few seconds before.
I’d like to see that Near Miss report 😵‍💫

Back