How to keep this mower in tip top shape?

Another vote for E0 if you can find it. I have always run E0 with the recommended amount of Stabil red in all my OPE and that seems to have been sufficient to avoid most fuel-related problems. If you use the mower on a regular schedule you could run E10 during the summer and switch to stabilized E0 during the last month or so, but my mowing schedule is sufficiently unpredictable that I find it easier to use stabilized E0 all the time.

I do pump out and replace the fuel if I miss a season and the gas gets over a year old.

The best sure-fire way to ensure it will start after storage is to run it out of fuel before storing it. Sta-bil helps, but it really only makes the fuel last another 2 weeks or so before it goes bad.
I have used Sta-Bil and stored fuel for two years and it is just fine.

I’ve never run e0 in ope and knock on wood have not had any issues. I can see why some might though. I like the idea of running it before ope sits for the winter and will probably go that route…

Does anyone know if there's any benefit to add something like Sta-Bil to the tank and let it flow into the carb ? Let it sit there in a dry (dry before you added the Sta-Bil) ?
Stabil is loved by some here on the board but it's a waste of money IMO. E0 is the way to go although it may not be available in all areas.

Adding a dash of two stroke oil to your OPE gas can can will help lube the top end of four stroke engines and won't hurt a thing.

Last edited:
I never drain the gas or any other voodoo people do for over the winter storage of my ope and they start up and run fine. I run regular gas .

I never drain the gas or any other voodoo people do for over the winter storage of my ope and they start up and run fine. I run regular gas .
They run fine until they won't start lol. Most of the equipment I work on for customers was "running fine just the other day".

Half the battle is how you store your equipment and fuel. If you store the fuel in well sealed cans inside as well as the equipment you are less likely to have issues compared to the people who store their fuel cans and equipment out in the weather.

Back