I think it's pinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dealer wanted $31 per plug, and they were out of stock. Not gonna happen.

I'll do some research on what plugs to get.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Sad that your stealership quoted you that much for a plug. Asinine to indulge in day light robbery.
Shop online with other dealerships and/or does the manual suggest other plugs as well.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

Sad that your stealership quoted you that much for a plug. Asinine to indulge in day light robbery.
Shop online with other dealerships and/or does the manual suggest other plugs as well.
Yeah, it's a Hyundai, not a Lamborghini

Holy [censored]. Also, they were out of stock? That means they either go through a lot of them or never change them on cars that come through.

All dealerships have become lean and mean, they get it from their OEM warehouses even a nut and washer.
I remember they had to order my drain plug on the transmission on my Lexus (and charged me $15+tax) when it was originally made of butter steel - made to round off if not careful.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Holy [censored]. Also, they were out of stock? That means they either go through a lot of them or never change them on cars that come through.
Got them today for $14.88 at a different dealer under my mechanic's account. List is $18 so the 1st dealer was trying to screw me. I'll probably change them this weekend.

I bought Autolite for the YF Sonata 2.4L. I've also been using Autolite in the Santa Fe 2.0T (changed at 40K and 80K miles) without issue.

Changed the plugs today. Still pings on 87, maybe a little better though. I'll see if I can find the borescope and look at it one of these days and will just run 91 octane for now.

2l5c3r.jpg

Sorry to hear Nick. Like OVERKILL states above, i also think those plugs appear to have more life in them.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Sorry to hear Nick. Like OVERKILL states above, i also think those plugs appear to have more life in them.
The pinging doesn't really bother me much. Plus with these new plugs it seems somewhat better. I'll just run Costco 91 in it, it's cheaper than 89 anywhere else anyways. No big deal.

The pinging doesn't really bother me much. Plus with these new plugs it seems somewhat better. I'll just run Costco 91 in it, it's cheaper than 89 anywhere else anyways. No big deal.

Ultimately it would be nice to know why it is pinging though no? Have you had it checked for a PCM update?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Ultimately it would be nice to know why it is pinging though no? Have you had it checked for a PCM update?
Yeah I'd like to find out but at this point it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. I had an ECM update last year in March after I bought the car. I took it in because I thought it had an oil leak, turns out the previous dealer just spilled oil all over. While there they updated it. Here's what the update was for:

Link to PDF

here's what happened with our 13 sonata. i changed plugs at 100k , original plugs looked great. bought the new ones on amazon which said they wouldn't fit but amazon's vehicle match thing was wrong-- i too noticed the pinging/rattle and what seemed like loss of "pep" and was thinking about the whole intake valve problem with DI engines. then last december, wife pulls in garage and tells me CEL is on. i pull code (forgot number) but it was low fuel system pressure . car would crank longer and finally start and idle ok but stumble badly. i didn't trust dealer so researched it and it was the high pressure fuel pump on top of valve cover. dealer wanted 595 for the part so i ordered from a hyaundaindealer in florida, used a cummins open-sided flare socket, and replaced it myself for 385. pinging is gone and runs perfect. btw they tell you to replace metal fuel line so i ordered it but didn't install. no leaks or problems

Last edited:
Rock auto has the autolite iridium xp plugs for a good price, under $20 shipped to my door.

Autolite has a $12 mail in rebate, so I'll change my plugs at 59k miles and see what that does.

Results next week when I get some time to do the job.

I have been running mid grade (89) top tier gas, with almost no pinging. It only seems to ping when the engine is stone cold.

Mine does it when the engine is warm. Not really any on 91 octane. The spark plugs did seem to help a little bit. Took less than 10 minutes to replace them all, easiest car ever to replace the plugs.

Mine does it when the engine is warm. Not really any on 91 octane. The spark plugs did seem to help a little bit. Took less than 10 minutes to replace them all, easiest car ever to replace the plugs.

I replaced the OEM plugs today on my sonata. Piece of cake. Installed Autolite Iridium XP plugs. Car runs perfect.

OEM plugs looked fine..

No difference in pinging, took it up some hills and inclines around Austin TX, pinged badly under load going up hill with 89 top tier in the tank.

Filled it with 93 and zero pings, not a single noise.

I think the tuning in this car is wonky and probably related to CAFE standards. I think the OEM tune is throwing the transmission into a high gear super early to keep the revs low, and it is lugging the heck out of the engine every chance it gets.

That is contributing to the ping condition (my guess)..

When this engine lugs is when i get a ping usually.

Do not use the stupid eco button on the dash, that will just lug the engine even more.

I wonder if anybody tunes these cars, at least the transmission shift points to reduce it from lugging so bad.

Car runs perfect with 93 octane fuel and new plugs. Wife even said it was "fast" when she drove it. I laughed.

Yeah I never use the Eco button, only in the parking garage at ASU because it lightens up the steering wheel
crackmeup2.gif

The highest octane we've got here is 91, I've been using that and it's been silent, no pinging.

Yeah I never use the Eco button, only in the parking garage at ASU because it lightens up the steering wheel
crackmeup2.gif

The highest octane we've got here is 91, I've been using that and it's been silent, no pinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back