I think it's pinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
url-1(1).jpg

pre-ignition_pinging_detona.jpg

pistons001.jpg

Does your owners manual mention the required use of high test? If this was a gradual situation, may be carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. Check EGR operation, it is designed to cool the combustion chambers to reduce NOX emissions.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Pinging is not good by any yard stick and can easily relate to it.

This doesn't appear to mean anything. What does "it" refer to?

The ping is from the coils, they are on their way out.

This appears to be tosh, assuming the OP is using "pinging" the way the term is uaually used.

"Pinging" usually refers to detonation, though I doubt I can distinguish that from pre-ignition by ear (Can't speak for the OP, of course). Coils don't / can't suffer from either.

One other thing that could cause pinging is uneven heat transfer, flush the cooling system and that dramatically reduces pings.

Just possible that this might affect pre-ignition, though doesn't seem very likely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Does your owner's manual state anything about pinging being normal?

I can just see the marketing department making that the focus of their next campaign.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Buy a HF walnut blaster. Remove intake manifold, turn crank until intake valves are closed for the cyl you are working on, and then blast the valves. This is the only way to properly remove the carbon buildup on GDI engines.

If its pinging that's due to in-cylinder conditions. Are intake deposits likely to have much influence?

I suppose they MIGHT, either by interfering with the breathing, or by bits breaking off, but such bits arent going to be very pre-heated so dont seem all that likely to fill the incandescent carbon pre-ignition source role, so I'd think this is a bit of a long shot.

A cylinder/head/piston decoke seems more likely to be useful.

I'd use distilled water.

Restriction Gauge / Decoker

Maybe look for air leaks too.

If I had a knock sensor (I don't, so I'm making this bit up), I might try hitting it with a hammer to see if it appeared to be doing anything to the timing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My 300ZX will ping occasionally when I really get on it. In the case of these cars,it's from the [censored] gas we get.

I changed octane ratings and all the pinging went away , that was in a VW , back in 67..amazing

Since it does not ping on the 91 fuel, that is what I would run

Fuels explode differently in the combustion chamber

You may have an engine that needs the extra octane to prevent the pinging

^^THIS^^ and the fuel's octane rating (actual, not what's posted on the pump) is what I was thinking.

What is it with these DI engines? You want me to buy a walnut shell glass beader? WHAT???

Also, are the Dexos Gen.II oils supposed to combat this carbon buildup problem?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Could be that the KNOCK sensor or that circuit is not working? ED

A defective knock sensor will usually throw a P0325 but they are easy enough to check, lots of youtube videos.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I had a Sonata rental that was pinging up every hill, some engines are just more prone to it. Run 91, don't waste your money on coils, it ain't that.

This. It is the fuel, nothing to do with ignition. If it pings on 87, you have to run a higher octane.

I'd try the CRC GDI intake cleaner; while it's intended to clean the valves, it may also clean up and bigger carbon deposits in the combustion chamber that might be contributing to the ping. If you want to get crazy with it, pull the plugs and do a B12 Chemtool piston soak. My Corolla used to pink like crazy from carbon buildup in the combustion chambers/piston tops, and Chemtool eliminated it.

The Matrix has been pinging lately on Shell 87. Checked the owner's manual and it states to use 87 octane or higher. Using the higher octane has helped a lot. Plus the engine benefits from more detergents in the fuel, better mileage, smoother when accelerating, etc...

The Camry runs fine but thought it might do some good to put the good stuff in there also. So put $10 worth of the best stuff in there. A little over 3 gallons. Will probably put that amount in weekly since it doesn't get driven much. That way all those extra detergents can sit on the different parts. If it goes on a long hwy trips then it will get Shell 87 again. Plus topping it with high test is more palatable than filling it up on an empty tank with high test. Way too big of a fuel bill that way.

If the car recommends 87 or higher, 87 should work fine. I find I do get a tad better gas mileage on premium but not enough to make it worth the price difference. If no other issues, maybe run 89 octane to see if you get this pinging with that as well. Personally, if 87 pings and it didnt used to, it indicates something has changed (stopped working as it should).

Last edited:
Our '97 Mazda MPV started pinging under light load @ cruise when it was about eight years old/140-150K km. I tried premium (Octane 91) fuel and various octane-boosting additives, to no avail. Years later, when chasing coolant and oil leaks, I discovered that the PCV valve (well-hidden on the Mazda JE V6 engine) was blocked. I replaced it, and there's been no pinging since.

This is likely not your problem, but I'd replace it anyway as an easy and low-cost first step.

As mentioned, it could be a couple things but I'd start with higher octane first. My Hyundai commuter would occasionally ping on 87 octane in the right circumstance so I switched to 89 and it hasn't pinged since. I doubt you need walnut blasting or a particular valve cleaning if running 91 sorts things out. Pinging like this seems to be a common complaint for some Hyundai engines that's remedied by higher octane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back