Techron concentrate, better MPG illusion or running lean causing better MPG?

I put 1.5 bottles of Techron concentrate in my car according to the label and I’m getting better mileage out of my car. I’m 100% sure I’m getting more distance because I take the same trip from South MS to Mobile, AL everyday. I usually get two full trips then the needle being between the E and the quarter line. But with Techron in the tank, after two round trips the needle is at the quarter line. This has happened both times I’ve used Techron.

But once I fill up with regular fuel, the mileage goes back to normal. So we all know there’s nothing that can just give you an extra 30 miles out of a full tank, not permanently at least. Do you think due to the volatile and combustible nature of Techron, the O2 sensors read rich when it isn’t rich and dials it back, so you’re actually running lean, giving you a few more MPG? And the manufacturers know this and will claim better MPGs with their products. Sounds weird but it’s just an observation and assumption. What do you guys think?

Fill tank. Record odometer. Drive.
Fill tank. Record odometer. Subtract first odo reading from the second. Total miles/total gallons yields mpg.

"Top ups" are to be avoided because EVAP systems can get flooded.

Don't sweat doing the same pump at the same station etc. Just do your mileage calculation regularly and any differences will wash.

I tally my car every month and my truck every other month as it's driven way less.

ad hoc mileage tallies are error prone. They're good only for rough estimates.

I too use Techron for cleanliness. I don't expect any mpg increase thereby but I'm open to any good news.

I used it in my old Volvo 960 a few years ago where I was putting any cheap weasel pi$$ gas I could find for it. Gas mileage was in the gutter, compared to what I use to get and it ran kind of rough. Filled it with Shell 93 and tossed in a bottle of Techron and went out for a ride. About two hours in, the motor really smooth out but no change in gas mileage. On the third tank of Shell 93 my fuel mileage jumped back up about 2.5 to 2.75 miles per gallon. The only bottle of Techron I used was in that first tank of Shell 93. I still use the Techron once a year just to keep things clean in the fuel system. I now only buy Top Tier gas for my vehicles.

I doubt the the additive would change the AFR reading much. Most of what's in the bottle should be similar to gasoline, and the PEA should only make up around 0.1% of the fuel in the tank. Running slightly lean wouldn't have a huge effect on fuel economy either.

The fuel economy gains from fuel cleaners should be mostly due to cleaner injectors, which should improve the fuel spray pattern and increase the consistency of fuelling between the cylinders. Cleaner combustion chambers can also reduce knock, resulting in less ignition retard. The effect should last several thousand miles, but with diminishing returns, so you'd notice the best results near the end of the treatment.

It's difficult to measure effects on fuel economy in uncontrolled conditions. A change in the wind could easily account for the difference you noticed, and there are dozens of other factors that can affect it. Your mileage could be within random variance.

I have had the same experience. Noticeably increased gas mileage with Techron in the fuel mix.
Right? But then returns back to normal after a fuel tank of just gasoline. So it can’t have anything to do with spray pattern. Because your injectors didn’t just go back to being bad right away. I’m only think I can think of is the Techron combust in a way that makes the O2 think you’re running rich, so it dials it back a tiny bit. Even felt I was slightly down on power, probably due to being lean.

I doubt the the additive would change the AFR reading much. Most of what's in the bottle should be similar to gasoline, and the PEA should only make up around 0.1% of the fuel in the tank. Running slightly lean wouldn't have a huge effect on fuel economy either.

The fuel economy gains from fuel cleaners should be mostly due to cleaner injectors, which should improve the fuel spray pattern and increase the consistency of fuelling between the cylinders. Cleaner combustion chambers can also reduce knock, resulting in less ignition retard. The effect should last several thousand miles, but with diminishing returns, so you'd notice the best results near the end of the treatment.

It's difficult to measure effects on fuel economy in uncontrolled conditions. A change in the wind could easily account for the difference you noticed, and there are dozens of other factors that can affect it. Your mileage could be within random variance.
But the gas mileage goes back to normal right after I finish up that tank and put in a new tank. The very FIRST tank. Also kinda feels down on power when Techron is in there. It’s quite the anomaly. It’s just some observations and assumptions I’m having. Would kinda make sense.

I've had it both ways, adding Techron would increase mileage and it could decrease mileage. Since I observed that on same car I'd think gas quality had a role and possibly how dirty injectors were.

Was this recently you noticed it? Could it coincide with the change to the more energy dense summer blend gasoline? I noticed in the past week, all the gas stations around me jump up 50 cents per gallon.

It's probably because of psychology more than the Techron. I do it, too. I put new spark plugs, air up the tires, or add fuel treatment and then I'm more conscious of fuel economy so my right foot temporarily gets subconsciously lighter.

I'm not saying that Techron is useless at all, BTW.

Could it coincide with the change to the more energy dense summer blend gasoline?

"For logistical reasons, the transition to low-RVP gasoline happens over the course of several spring months as temperatures rise and to facilitate lowering the RVP of remaining inventories of winter-grade gasoline. The federally mandated dates for summer-grade gasoline and reformulated gasoline, where required, are May 1 to September 15 for refiners and terminals, and June 1 to September 15 for gasoline retailers. In California switchover dates are earlier, and summer-grade gasoline must be in use for a longer period."

I put 1.5 bottles of Techron concentrate in my car according to the label and I’m getting better mileage out of my car. I’m 100% sure I’m getting more distance because I take the same trip from South MS to Mobile, AL everyday. I usually get two full trips then the needle being between the E and the quarter line. But with Techron in the tank, after two round trips the needle is at the quarter line. This has happened both times I’ve used Techron.

But once I fill up with regular fuel, the mileage goes back to normal. So we all know there’s nothing that can just give you an extra 30 miles out of a full tank, not permanently at least. Do you think due to the volatile and combustible nature of Techron, the O2 sensors read rich when it isn’t rich and dials it back, so you’re actually running lean, giving you a few more MPG? And the manufacturers know this and will claim better MPGs with their products. Sounds weird but it’s just an observation and assumption. What do you guys think?

No, o2 sensors measure o2 that's not bound to another atom like C or N. If there's no free oxygen you(re running rich. If there's free oxygen you run lean

My commute is 47km each way, 90% highway, 30 minute drive. On Monday this week I averaged just below 30mpg, on Tuesday I average nearly 40mpg.

What couldve caused this? Was it some proprietary blend of additives? Extra PEA? More octanes? Did I change my driving style? Traffic? No. It was 2°C on Monday and 18°C on Tuesday. That's why I got a 10mpg increase in fuel economy. Because it was warm outside.

Point is there are a lot of variables to consider. And confirmation bias is powerful.

I haven’t experienced any increase in mpg’s. I use redline SL1 regularly. The Pilot gets two bottle’s between oil changes and the Tacoma gets one.

No scientific measurements here but I have perceived a mpg gain when I use Berryman's B12. Not so much with any other injector cleaner.

No scientific measurements here but I have perceived a mpg gain when I use Berryman's B12. Not so much with any other injector cleaner.

I recently tried Redline fuel system cleaner. Before adding it 27.5 miles per gallon,after the same 27.5 miles per gallon. I've never been a believer in fuel injector cleaners and have never had any fuel system issues. 🤷

Back