I sure do miss cheap oil.

Havoline 10W-30 or 5W-30 in the 80's when I was a teen. $.99 a quart. Used to buy it a lot. Had a Chevy LUV pickup. Hunk of junk. Drove it everywhere, burning oil like crazy. Loved that truck.

I posted before, but if you took a sharp turn, the sound from the stereo would shift over to the far side of the truck, then shift back when you straightened out. Still trying to figure out the math on that.....

Havoline 10W-30 or 5W-30 in the 80's when I was a teen. $.99 a quart. Used to buy it a lot. Had a Chevy LUV pickup. Hunk of junk. Drove it everywhere, burning oil like crazy. Loved that truck.

I posted before, but if you took a sharp turn, the sound from the stereo would shift over to the far side of the truck, then shift back when you straightened out. Still trying to figure out the math on that.....
In about 1968 my father threw a tirade when Havoline at WalMart for straight weights went from 39¢ to 44¢

My frugal ways are steeped in my family DNA

Oils have become much better even compared to 5 years ago. The basic Supertech oil is pretty darn good for the price.

What I miss are decently priced filters that aren't complete garbage. Remember the under $4 Motorcrafts with the silicone ADBV? The OG Purolator Classic and PureOnes before the tearing problems? Now it seems you either pay ~$10 to get average and below average quality, or $15+ for something decent.

Oils have become much better even compared to 5 years ago. The basic Supertech oil is pretty darn good for the price.

What I miss are decently priced filters that aren't complete garbage. Remember the under $4 Motorcrafts with the silicone ADBV? The OG Purolator Classic and PureOnes before the tearing problems? Now it seems you either pay ~$10 to get average and below average quality, or $15+ for something decent.
Buy filters at lowes or Home depo!

We all would chip in a quarter for gas and hop in Rusty’s 67 Camaro and go down to Huntington Beach. Our bathing suits were shorts cut from blue jeans, normal for that day.

Yea but who wants to go back to SJ or SL oil? I remember paying around $6 a quart for Mobil1 (the real stuff) in the late 70's. Wife and two kids with a $125 weekly pay.
Don’t try to dilute feelings of rosy retrospection and grandeur with facts and data… we are here to talk about how everything was better “back in my day” sir.

People always forget that side of it.....
Exactly. And they whine about housing cost but dont realize they get a larger house with much higher level amenties (Granite vs. old Formica, high end ceramic tile vs. stick on abestos tiles, etc. ) than one or two generations ago. Same thing with vehicles, no more points-plugs-condenser systems. Everything is larger and improved, but people won't factor that into costs. They want to be sort of a victim somehow.

Exactly. And they whine about housing cost but dont realize they get a larger house with much higher level amenties (Granite vs. old Formica, high end ceramic tile vs. stick on abestos tiles, etc. ) than one or two generations ago. Same thing with vehicles, no more points-plugs-condenser systems. Everything is larger and improved, but people won't factor that into costs. They want to be sort of a victim somehow.
Well both examples are legitimate gripes-- it'd be nice to buy a car with a stick shift, roll 'em windows, port fuel injection just like it'd be nice to find a "starter ranch" house so people can start building equity and get out of paying rent faster. There's a presumption of choice but you won't find a spec house (or a 'spec car' which most pretty much are) with barebones equipment. The demand is there but the makers are choosing to make what they make.

We demand low-costs as consumers, but then we get upset when we receive poor service and low quality… We complain when there are no qualified people and products “don’t last long enough”, but we don’t want to absorb the costs for higher wages and better materials.. Then we say that big corporations are “greedy” when they turn large profits, but simultaneously expect our own investment portfolios to grow as shareholders of these same companies…

Capitalism for me and none for thee.

Back