2023 tally of the "Post your latest oil change" thread

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
Here's a tally of the 2023 results of who's using what. As always there's a small margin of error as I am usually consuming various domestic light/lite beers when Im adding up the results weekly. To everyone in the community have a Happy and Healthy New Year!

323: Mobil/Delvac
190: Pennzoil
159: Quaker State
144: Valvoline
108: Castrol
64: HPL
62: Chevron/Havoline/Delo
59: Amsoil
57: SuperTech
56: Shell
54: Kirkland
47: Fram
44: Frakenblend
33: Schaeffer
32: Sweepco
25: Napa
21: Total Quartz
17: Safety Klein
15: STP
14: LiquiMoly
12: Total Quartz
11: AC Delco
10: Cam 2
9: Red Line/Amazon Basics/Motul
8: Toyota-Lexus/Travellers
7: Motorcraft/Providence-Rural King
6: CarQuest/O'Reilly
5: Ravenol
46: Brands of oil with 4 or less posts

I’m surprised SuperTech/Kirkland isn’t higher up on the list, but the numbers don’t lie!
Thanks and have a good start to the year!

Super thanks. May I post some thoughts?
These are not criticisms or suggestions, just thoughts and impressions.

1) Since this is a ranking of brands, one could question including leftovers (Frankenblend) as it's not specific?
2) Is it safe to assume that "Safety Clean" is available only to people in the business as it's not generally available?
3) More Amsoil than SuperTech! That could point to a computer savvy/income boundary.
4) Sweepco is a new one to me.

Reactions: MM8
If you add up Pennzoil, Quaker State and Shell, the total is 405, so BITOG overwhelmingly prefers Shell and XOM products. Since Pennzoil doesn't seem to be discussed as much here anymore, I'm surprised that it still ranked so high.

My 2024 prediction: Pennzoil Platinum, due to some recent VOA results, has some members second-guessing. Whether that's justified or not is beside the point. But this year I think we'll see a dip in Pennzoil usage, and I also think we'll see an increase in popularity for Castrol. Edge seems to be gaining stream here recently.

Thank you for putting this together, this is very interesting to review.

You must be very bored with a lot of time on hand!

This list doesn't include those who don't post on that thread. Shame.

Thank you for your hard work and interesting information.

I’m surprised SuperTech/Kirkland isn’t higher up on the list, but the numbers don’t lie!
Thanks and have a good start to the year!
Well if you combine the Supertech and Kirkland it would be in 5th, pretty impressive to me considering all the name brand oils on the list.

Well if you combine the Supertech and Kirkland it would be in 5th, pretty impressive to me considering all the name brand oils on the list.
Where do you think Kirkland / Supertech would be on the list, if the price for these oils were the approx same as name brands like Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil-1?
To me, impressive translates into price-point here...... nothing more.

The real translation of 'impressive' would be to see Pennzoil / Quaker State (or Exxon-Mobil) sell their oils for the same price as Supertech / Kirkland in 2024, without a change in formulation / quality. The numbers would-then be so lopsided for 2024.

Try to imagine the oil aisle at Costco having Kirkland and Mobil-1 side-by-side at the same prices. Which would you buy? It would be Mobi-1 in a landslide victory.

Numbers #1 and #2 indicate BITOG members are smart shoppers. Majority of BITOGERs don't choose the product by price. Now that's impressive.

Notable, HPL wasn't on the list last year but is 6th on the list this year. Is @wwillson and his experiment with the Durango bringing people to the HPL ranks? :unsure: ;)

Thanks for taking the time to compile this list. 🍻
It's heavily promoted here, and by promoted, not directly but just lots of folks using it, lots of posts, testimonials, forum sponsor, etc....makes sense to me that it's on the leader board!

It's heavily promoted here, and by promoted, not directly but just lots of folks using it, lots of posts, testimonials, forum sponsor, etc....makes sense to me that it's on the leader board!

I agree. I just thought that it was notable since they’ve been a BITOG sponsor since 12-2019, and have been absent from the tally until 4 years later. The first time that they’ve appeared and they’re all the way up to 6th.
Of course, I understand that the tally isn’t scientific, but it’s interesting enough within the confines of our BITOG sample group.

Cheers! 🍻

Back