I only watch the Super Bowl for the halftime show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by dave1251
This year I did not care to watch. Watching the Patriots every year has caused me to grow indifferent to the NFL.

Everyone, except for Pats fans, has a severe case of Patriots fatigue...it's driving people away from the game...

I agree with you.

I did my typical of every Patriots game and only watched the 4th quarter last 5-10 mins where all the action happens and in rapid fashion.

Originally Posted by dave1251
This year I did not care to watch. Watching the Patriots every year has caused me to grow indifferent to the NFL.

Everyone, except for Pats fans, has a severe case of Patriots fatigue...it's driving people away from the game...

Watched the Law and Order marathon instead of the game, only switched over to the game during commercial break to check the scores.

Continually parroting the same tired line over.. and over.. and over again. It's not the Patriots fault the Redskins stink year after year. You are not entitled to winning. There are no participation trophies in football. You have to earn it. If you don't like that you shouldn't watch football.

We watch the 1/2 time show and the commercials, but we record it in the DVR and then play it back fast forwarding through all the crap we don't want to see, like the game play.

Last edited:
My kind of game...slobber knocking defense from both teams.

Half time show was OK. Not sure why he pulled of his shirt.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals

Continually parroting the same tired line over.. and over.. and over again. It's not the Patriots fault the Redskins stink year after year. You are not entitled to winning. There are no participation trophies in football. You have to earn it. If you don't like that you shouldn't watch football.

So is that what you would say to the millions of football fans who are sick of seeing the Pats in the SB? So the only people who should watch football are Pats fans? It wouldn't be much of a league if that were the case...

Envy, jealousy and blind hatred don't look good on you Gramps
You can always look forward to next years SB
Pats vs Skins maybe ?

Personally, I'd never be envious of the Pats if they won every year for a decade...I just decided to view it as the Bay Bowl with the Peninsula ( Brady and Edelman ) versus Marin County ( Goff ) and made it a local game.

It might even be better that way because you can berate Brady for going to Michigan and not Cal or Stanford and Goff for stinking up the game while asking why these commentators kept talking about Goff being thought of as a write off after his first season. Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell are write-offs.

So is that what you would say to the millions of football fans who are sick of seeing the Pats in the SB? So the only people who should watch football are Pats fans? It wouldn't be much of a league if that were the case...

Maybe their teams need to play better, have more discipline, better coaching, etc.

Yep, let's handicap the teams who learn the game inside and out just so the kids who lost at tee ball have something to watch when they grow up grow older
33.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
Halftime shows during "the big game" are aimed at people other than myself.
The shows can be impressively sized with lots of scenic elements.
All I remember from them is that I don't like Paul McCartney and I want Leo Mars' waistline.

Years ago maybe 50% of the commercials were originals so there was a continuum of interest.
Now only a handful are.

Remember the boutique coffee company which won some competition and was awarded a halftime commercial?
The characters were Vikings in their dragon boat in a churning sea extolling the desirability of dying in battle etc.
Then at the end you saw they were in a cup of coffee which a man was polishing off.
The camera shot went into his disgusting, open, bearded mouth.
1) The powers that be shortened the commercial's air time
2) People weren't impressed with the man's hairy maw. No measurable increase in sales resulted.

I believe the business exhibited (specialty coffee) was a bad example because that sliver of the coffee business is small.
You aren't going to see a "win a free big-game commercial" contest ever again.

Many thanks for the Three Stooges pic.

By all accounts, Death Wish coffee has experienced a windfall in sales and revenue since that commercial.

https://money.cnn.com/2016/08/02/smallbusiness/death-wish-coffee-after-super-bowl/index.html

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Many like to say they only watch the Super Bowl for the commercials, but I only watch it for the halftime show.
Half time show was rather weak this year, IMO. I like Maroon5, but this wasn't much of a performance. I thought Bruno Mars did a nice job a few years back.

Only Patriots fans root for the Patriots you say. Duh! Wow that's brilliant. Like Redskins fans would rather watch the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. Or Cowboys and Redskin fans suddenly rooting for the Eagles to beat the Patriots. Would any Eagles fan ever root for the Cowboys to beat the Patriots? What about the Saints fans? Do you think they were rooting for the Rams to beat the Patriots? You you stubborny parrot nonsense.

Yawwwwn...I think part of what Grampi's trying to say is that the more a dynasty team plays in the SB there's less overall fan interest in the game and people start talking about the halftime show and which commentator had the best hair weave.

Beyond the curmudgeon commentary about the NFL, I just wish they'd feature more bands and not singers at halftime...was that Adam Levine or Maroon 5??...could've fooled me. I want to see a guitar solo and musical interaction between players and not a singer walking through a pre-scripted, groomed audience that's feigning adulation. Less high-fiveing and lighters held aloft and more stage time. Let John Lydon or Jello Biafra provide the commentary...I'd watch it just for that.

Only Patriots fans root for the Patriots you say. Duh! Wow that's brilliant. Like Redskins fans would rather watch the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. Or Cowboys and Redskin fans suddenly rooting for the Eagles to beat the Patriots. Would any Eagles fan ever root for the Cowboys to beat the Patriots? What about the Saints fans? Do you think they were rooting for the Rams to beat the Patriots? You you stubborny parrot nonsense.

I am by nature of being Redskins fan, a Dallas hater, and yes, If Dallas had ended up playing NE in the SB, I would've rooted for Dallas...

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Pats vs Skins maybe ?

So let me get this straight, you enjoy seeing the Pats in the SB every year?

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Pats vs Skins maybe ?

So let me get this straight, you enjoy seeing the Pats in the SB every year?

Yes I do. I hope they're in the SB every year from now on. Don't worry I'll come to your funeral with red, white and blue roses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back