I mixed today...and badly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bigdaddy345
I never mix oil.

So you'd let it run dry first??

Heh heh It prolly would have been fine with that jug of used that you hadn't recycled yet. I'm blessed with tolerable in-laws and family. My MIL is a dear sweet lady.

In my last car, a 93 Geo Metro (3cyl/3 spd auto) it had a blown head gasket and was slowly getting worse. It wasn't mixing oil/water but it was consuming both, It was at it's worst highway driving due to higher engine RPMs. They were leaking into the exhaust, near as I could figure without pulling the head off. I drove it 4500 miles round trip in that condition in about 2 weeks time. I had to stop every 150-200 miles to top off the oil and coolant, but mostly the coolant as it was boiling out and trying to overheat from lack of coolant. Oil was dropping worse and worse as I went along too due to the head gasket getting worse, I suppose.

I mixed oil once I realized how bad off it was about 200 miles into the trip when it suddenly it overheated hard from lack of coolant, which I didn't realize was going on that bad. I started buying Supertech 10w30 or 10w40 from Walmart in 5 qt jugs for the rest of the trip, as well as the Supertech 50/50 coolant. I would have been better off with pure distilled though since it was early May and there was zero risk of freezing, but somehow it didn't' occur to me at that time. The 50/50 might have boiled less quickly than pure water, however, under the condition it was in. It would do a big oil burning [censored] at times, usually under a load due to climbing a hill and hitting the gas, but also when it was low on coolant. It's amazing how hard you cna beat those Suzuki engines and keep going.

It also had a badly broken wheel bearing on the driver's side rear. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got home and tore into it to replace it. I wouldn't have been going 70mph if I had known! The other bearing somehow survived and is what kept the wheel from totally coming off or locking up, I guess. Talk about luck.

EDIT: Wow, THAT word got censored? Okay, I'll say it this way: "It would do a big oil burning cloud of smoke at times"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bigdaddy345
No I'd purchase the same type used. I have a few qts on hand for such a thing.

and you'll keep using that same oil every oci? you do know that up to a quart of oil stays in the engine after a drain, right?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Need another thread for picking up hitch hikers... I picked one up and no one saw me for three days...

was she that good looking?

I laughed my arse off at that, btw...
grin.gif

---

As for good deeds and such...

I sort of think it really depends on the kind of relationship you and said person have with each other.

I know plenty of folks whom, if I helped them with a free top-off or whatever have you (simple thing), they'd be happy and wouldn't ever blame me for any trouble down the road their vehicle might have...

That is why: Choosing whom your good deeds go to should be done wisely so, and thus, not to those of whom think neutral or less of you to begin with.

In other words... Don't help those [in vehicular need] whom do not already regard you with good respect to begin with!

If any person who regard of you with little to no respect request your help...

F*** those arseholes. Tell them to "Buy your own [whatever]" because elsewise, as has been said, if trouble happens down the road, you darn well know who'll be blamed.

~ Triton

Rest of the story turned up last night.

FIL has been away, and wanted us to go check his house that they had locked up OK, and that everything was OK, so we went out a couple days after the fiasco, and found a heap of stuff missing (wife's mother had been dead for a decade this month, and her collections of things like teaspoons, a talking toy bear etc. were missing...anyway, we locked up.

Last week facebook showed them back in Sydney, and at the theatre...Turns out to pick up FIL's second car which is with another sibling. They asked to borrow it...

Last night F.I.L rings in as having made contact with them (for why in a little bit later), they admitted to having taken some stuff, only a few little things that "mum wanted them to have" (seance maybe ???)...were told that they have to restock the items before he gets back to town, doesn't care how.

Reason for the phone call was $2,600 in stuff run up on his credit card...Car hire was ten days, not just getting home "well we had to get to work, and couldn't take the car back on a public holiday etc. $50 at Krispy Creme..."well we have to eat while travelling.

Apparently when they picked up the car from sibling, first question was do you have the title papers.

unbelievable

They asked if they could "borrow Mum's car"...(his wife's car has been on permanent loan to another sibling

Originally Posted By: andyd
My MIL is a dear sweet lady.

Mines not, when she dies I'm playing Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead at her funeral. I once bought her an electric chair but she wouldn't plug it in.

Shannow you really need to tell them to fornicate off and never come back.

Originally Posted By: peejaycruiser

I tried that before after getting stiffed for the motel room when we went to Iron Maiden, but wife patched it over...

Now she's the one with the matches and bridges, and I'm just the supportive husband.

shiny, you are welcome...

Nice area of the world you live in, we stayed at Anthem, and Sierra Vista while we were over in 2014 (and flagstaff).

I got some used (drain) oil in bottles for just this sort of thing. It'll easily get em out of the county, maybe the state ...
smile.gif

Mixing oil in any situation even remotely like this is absolutely warranted. They do not deserve fresh oil anyway
frown.gif

Relatives happen. Hope your holidays went OK anyway ...

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by peejaycruiser

I tried that before after getting stiffed for the motel room when we went to Iron Maiden, but wife patched it over...

Now she's the one with the matches and bridges, and I'm just the supportive husband.

Bridges get rebuilt...

I would like to say that the last few days has been one of my better long weekends.

But seeing as 'though there was a general feel that my story telling technique was appreciated in the first round, I'll go slowly, and describe exactly WHY I would like to say this...but in all honesty can't.

Three weeks ago, I got to sit my daughter down and tell her that I'd told her since a baby not to run in the house, and I had my reasons.

She broke a bone (Tarsal) foot/ankle, and has been in a moon boot ever since, and it's not getting appreciably better, so Rads for tomorrow and and other doctor's trip to see what's up with it.

OK, they've gone...

My wife and her sister in law decided to rebuild the bridge...cousins should see each other etc. etc...yep I concur.

So mid last year they offered to take our daughter to "Panic at the Disco", if we paid for the ticket and a bit for food and they stopped over here to pick her up on the way to the big smoke.

Was great...but they left her at the train station in the big smoke to find her way home...not quite what was planned or prepared for with 15 Y.O. girl, a bit of anxiety, but no real biggy...just an insight into the behaviours.

This weekend we all (bar B.I.L) were to go down to the big smoke to watch a musical...good stuff.
Plus there was a festival here in town
They wanted to stay for a few days, I take the kids to the festival, we go on the train to the musical in the big smoke. BIL goes to a mate's place

Between making those plans, daughter ran in the house, and is in moon boot with crutches...again, no biggie, she's very strong and healthy, and crutches aren't a big hold up...

First up
Train leaves 9AM
But we want to do some shopping want to go earlier...
...well that's 6AM
We'll catch that one.
No, you can catch that one, we'll meet you there...daughter is on crutches..
OK we'll all go at 9.

We get to the big smoke and they start "hurry up, we've got to get the shopping done...at (name of specific location).

Nope, daughter is on crutches, we're not walking here an addittional 3 mile round trip...will get chai's and chill and see you there

SIL signs off "yes Dad", and they march off...when they meet us at the theater, they magically bumped into relatives at the appointed place...so there was a set of plans made that would have involved daughter walking an extra 4 miles...but not aware of them, and snarkiness that I stepped in and said no.

Theatre is laden with stairs) it's old, and we were in the nosebleed section, but as the tickets weren't all sold out, they were reseating, so we got moved closer to the front, but they put us near an access door near the elevator...whinging ensued that if it wasn't for us, they could have been seated 6 rows closer...well sit 6 rows closer.

Originally Posted by Shannow
OK, they've gone...

My wife and her sister in law decided to rebuild the bridge...cousins should see each other etc. etc...yep I concur.

So mid last year they offered to take our daughter to "Panic at the Disco", if we paid for the ticket and a bit for food and they stopped over here to pick her up on the way to the big smoke.

Was great...but they left her at the train station in the big smoke to find her way home...not quite what was planned or prepared for with 15 Y.O. girl, a bit of anxiety, but no real biggy...just an insight into the behaviours.

Shannow you are better man than I. Did the engine make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back