Can too frequent oil changes be bad?

Hello,

I got a car with some dark oil and I think it wasn't treated well, i.e. oil not always replaced on time and sometimes out of spec oil was used, and now the oil looks dark and I assume some dirt has accumulated.

I was thinking that in the next year I'll do more oil changes.

Instead of once a year, then maybe 2 or even 3 times to try to get the oil to be more clear again.

But is it ok? Or changing too many times is also not good?

Thanks
Why don’t you tell us the make , model, engine and driving style. “I got a car” means nothing to me.

Just get the OCI back in line and forget about cleaning and flushing. Disturbed dirt can cause issues as well as some engines feed the main bearing first a main bearing first and then get filtered. I'm with the "leave it alone crowd" and let what can be removed be removed gradually. Perhaps just use something good like Mobil 1 0w40 or Mobil 1 ESP or EXT performance a OCI or whatever. My 3 cents worth.

Hello,
I got a car with some dark oil and I think it wasn't treated well, i.e. oil not always replaced on time and sometimes out of spec oil was used, and now the oil looks dark and I assume some dirt has accumulated.
Instead of once a year, then maybe 2 or even 3 times to try to get the oil to be more clear again.
Thanks
This sounds like you just got the car and haven't done an oil service yet, but noticed the oil is dark. If this is the case, I would do a normal oil & filter service and keep an eye on it (check the oil every 150-200 miles).
-- Make sure you don't have any significant fluid leaks.
-- If the oil doesn't get dark quickly and the level doesn't drop much (or any), it just needed an oil & filter and you are good.
-- If the oil gets dark quickly but the level doesn't drop, you probably have some deposit/sludge buildup -- a few short oil service intervals would probably help, or you can do an engine cleaner/flush if you want to be aggressive (not recommended).
-- If the oil gets dark quickly and the level drops, you probably have worn cylinders/rings and blow-by, with the engine burning oil and making the oil dark quickly... oil will not fix this unless the problem is coked rings, and even then, a cleaning oil might not free the stuck rings.
-- I am not an expert, I am just an experienced shade tree mechanic and this is my $0.02. Hope it helps.

Thank you guys! Oil and filter changed today and I'm going to keep an eye on which one is the reason: sludge or just too long passed since last service, or worn cylinders

I remember seeing some articles saying it takes an x number of km for a tribolotical protective film to be established.

Does anyone else remember that article?

A few previous threads on this topic. Perhaps an answer may be found there:

Anti wear additives washed off......
Give me a break.

Hello,

Thanks
It will not hurt

I guess Im pressing my luck
IMG_1777.jpeg
with Amsoil XL, lol. 5500-6500 oci. 133K on my Tacoma 4.0L.

Hello,

Thanks
What car do you have? How much and how do you drive?

I only drive 5000 miles a year, but I do 2x per year oil changes in the Spring and Fall as it is a daily driver that gets short tripped.

Not a Summertime sports car.

Curious about what the "out of spec" oil that was used and how you knew this.

Oil is supposed to get dark. But if it's coming out muddy you could do an extra oil change after say two months or 1500 miles and then go back to "normal" service. Now that all depends on how you drive and how far you drive.

- Ken (not Barbie's Ken - with his silly phony peroxide blond in a bottle)

Anti wear additives washed off......
Give me a break.
Surface competition is real. A reason I try to avoid traditional LL oil package if not really required.

Now this "washed off" sounds like a layperson's description of something a bit more complex.

Over eating, over indulging, general Hedonistic tendencies - all to be avoided or pay the price.

Back