Can too frequent oil changes be bad?

Hello,

I got a car with some dark oil and I think it wasn't treated well, i.e. oil not always replaced on time and sometimes out of spec oil was used, and now the oil looks dark and I assume some dirt has accumulated.

I was thinking that in the next year I'll do more oil changes.

Instead of once a year, then maybe 2 or even 3 times to try to get the oil to be more clear again.

But is it ok? Or changing too many times is also not good?

Thanks

i would do a BG EPR flush if you’re worried about sludge etc. after that refill with a quality oil that meets the specifications slated by the manufacturer.

it’s important to know, some cars just run dirty and will discolor oil quickly. what do you drive? how many miles etc.

A few previous threads on this topic. Perhaps an answer may be found there:

If you have a laptop, or android phone you can get a cheap $20 boroscope with a light from Amazon and poke down the valve cover gasket to check for evidence of sludge. You can also go up the drain hole as well (obviously after draining.)

Some folks go nuts and take off the valve cover and drain pan and clean what they can find. I would advise against that because you are loosening things and there is now much more risk of it catching somewhere in the system and blocking a critical oil gallery.

After you confirm, then start thinking about a plan. Multiple changes is one path, there is a multitude of "engine cleaners" out there to try.

If you have a laptop, or android phone you can get a cheap $20 boroscope with a light from Amazon and poke down the valve cover gasket to check for evidence of sludge. You can also go up the drain hole as well (obviously after draining.)

Some folks go nuts and take off the valve cover and drain pan and clean what they can find. I would advise against that because you are loosening things and there is now much more risk of it catching somewhere in the system and blocking a critical oil gallery.

After you confirm, then start thinking about a plan. Multiple changes is one path, there is a multitude of "engine cleaners" out there to try.
A good recommendation when "dirt" is suspected but not seen. No reason to chase imaginary problems.

Hello,

I got a car with some dark oil and I think it wasn't treated well, i.e. oil not always replaced on time and sometimes out of spec oil was used, and now the oil looks dark and I assume some dirt has accumulated.

Instead of once a year, then maybe 2 or even 3 times to try to get the oil to be more clear again.

Thanks
Good Walmart brand and change it 2x per year.

More than 2 times a year are a bit of overkill unless you actually drive the car significant amount of miles per year. Kinda waste of money too unless you do an engine flush, a bottle of chemicals or diesel fuel in the crankcase right before oil change.

Hello,

Thanks
Change it all you want it does no harm. The engine will stay clean inside though.

Downside,
if not careful is stripping drain plug, moving wire harnesses more often (especially this) leading to eventual breakage, maybe not installing oil filter properly if hurried. Forgetting oil filter oil ring or installing when old o-ring is still in place. Mostly brain fart stuff.

On the other hand you can inspect the engine compartment more often especially for leaks.

Change it as much as you want, the only thing I have noticed with UOA's and there is no solid evidence for it is that when switching brands of oil you might see a temporary increase in wear metals but nothing major.

My suggestion stick with the brand of your choice and change every 5,000 miles or 6 months. Maybe try out the new Valvoline Restore & Protect for a few changes and see how it does for you then switch to a brand of your choice.

I was at AAP buying some EDGE EP 0w20 other day. Some old, arrogant idiot says “you gonna run that in your vehicle?” I said “yes, and I’ll go 5-6,500 miles and sample it”

He said “I go 2,500 miles as engines cost money”

I walked right out with my purchase. The ignorance is astounding.

I was at AAP buying some EDGE EP 0w20 other day. Some old, arrogant idiot says “you gonna run that in your vehicle?” I said “yes, and I’ll go 5-6,500 miles and sample it”

He said “I go 2,500 miles as engines cost money”

I walked right out with my purchase. The ignorance is astounding.
Some people are stuck in the conventional days, I still do not believe in extended oil change intervals because I have seen many times what it does so my limit is 5,000 personally but people can do what they want, some engines handle extended intervals pretty well though.

Nothing wrong with Castrol either.

Some people are stuck in the conventional days, I still do not believe in extended oil change intervals because I have seen many times what it does so my limit is 5,000 personally but people can do what they want, some engines handle extended intervals pretty well though.

Nothing wrong with Castrol either.
From what I have witnessed and learned from Stumpy, DNewton and WWilson I’ll follow their advice. I don’t like wasting $$$$

Back