I HAVE SCREWED UP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have droped a piece of 3/8 rubber fuel hose into the oil pan on my Harley and cant get it out, will it hurt to just leave it in there? or will the oil break the hose down over time and realy screw things up.

how hard can it be to remove the oil pan? I am not well versed in motorcycle engines but I certainly would not drive with rubber mixed in with the oil. Not that it would break down but there are moving parts down there with very tight tolerances and a rubber hose would mess up everything in short order.

How big a piece of rubber hose are we talking? Best thing to do, I have found with experience is leave it alone for now and go to work and think it over. How about one of those little springy things with the retractable pinchers to reach in and grab it.

Its about 4in long and I have tried everything including the pincher tool thing, justcant get it.

I wouldn't leave it in there... it could fragment and jam the oil pump, then you'll be in a mess.

Assuming it went in there through the oil fill, and you haven't started or cranked the engine... it's probably there near the oil fill. If you drained your oil... it might have moved toward the oil drain.

Find a mechanic with one of those fiber optic cameras and have him insert it into the oil fill and then the oil drain and you can at least find out where the thing is... here is one, so you know what I'm talking about:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stor...amp;marketID=43

Snap-on has one that has a smaller snake on it that the one linked above...

I would think if it's 4 inches long, the end should have touched the bottom of the engine pan before it went all the way through the oil fill port... but I guess I'm wrong.

What engine and model of bike is this?

Dan

okay... just an idea...

take a cheap fish hook. it's gotta be cheap or else it'll just break when you bend it... you need to bend it straight... so you've got a straight wire with the barb on the end of it...

then fix this to the end of a stick, firmly with some good tape (stretch some electrician's tape)...

then insert it into the port where you lost the hose... and "gig it." obviously you won't be able to see it, but if you gig it you may be able to feel it on the end of you gig...

when you believe you have it, bring it up to the oil port, and hook it with a coat hanger wire, or grab it with some long needle nose pliers and try to force it to come out (it might have to double up from the center, just pull it out that way)...

Dan

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
I wouldn't leave it in there... it could fragment and jam the oil pump, then you'll be in a mess.

Assuming it went in there through the oil fill, and you haven't started or cranked the engine... it's probably there near the oil fill. If you drained your oil... it might have moved toward the oil drain.

Find a mechanic with one of those fiber optic cameras and have him insert it into the oil fill and then the oil drain and you can at least find out where the thing is... here is one, so you know what I'm talking about:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stor...amp;marketID=43

Snap-on has one that has a smaller snake on it that the one linked above...

I would think if it's 4 inches long, the end should have touched the bottom of the engine pan before it went all the way through the oil fill port... but I guess I'm wrong.

What engine and model of bike is this?

Dan
Its an 06 dyna and i had been able to snag it a couple of times with a coat hanger but couldnt get out far enough to grab it, then i drained the oil and now i cant even find it using a mirror and light, Ive tried one of those finger grabber tools and no luck. I may have to just drop the oil pan and deal with it that way. For now i am going to bed and sleeping on it before I twist off of something.

then try pouring some oil through the engine, and leaving the drain plug out... catch it in a clean pan, then pour it back through repeatedly and maybe it'll flush the hose toward the drain. I'm not thinking there's anything in the way that would keep the hose from floating toward the drain... if you can get it to the drain, you're home free... grab it with some needle nose pliers and yank it out.

Dan

If you have a good line of sight maybe you can go in through the oil drain and shove the hose up towards the fill hole. Theory being it's easier to push stuff than hook and pull.

I am not familar with Harleys, but I think they are like Polaris and have a separate oil tank and if it is in there and it seems to be floating, how about putting the oil plug back in and filling it up to the top, it will then try to float out when it pushes up to the top and you can grab it.

Shop vac. put it in the filler hole which is about the same diameter as a shop vac hose.

Don't feel too bad. I did the same thing to my Kawi. Luckily I was able to take off the clutch cover and get it out. Keep us updated.

After trying everything known to man,I had to end up pulling the pan to get it out and it turns out that was easier than everything else tried. The bike is back together and will go get oil tomarrow.I have pics if interested.

Oh yeah, we're all about pics,, Bring 'em on!
35.gif

Here ya go.
general221.jpg

general217.jpg

Here is the baffle thats in the pan.

general219.jpg

general218.jpg

And here is the dang hose I was trying to get out.

general220.jpg

Better that you got the hose out than just ride on and wonder if your damaging the engine. Well done.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back