Changing out a top mounted toilet seat.Yuk.

Ok, bittoggers. So the wife wants a new soft-close toilet seat. The old one is worn out and her cousin Bertha sat on it with the lid down while blow drying her hair and now the lid is cracked. To make matters worse, it’s one of those fancy toilets where you can’t get in underneath to screw a nut on the toilet seat screw.

This is a 12 year old American Standard model 4000 with an elongated soft close toilet heat that starts with number 5218. This seat was pretty fancy with a single push button to release it so the hired help can easily clean it. It turns out it is discontinued probably because if someone as heavy as Bertha sits on the cover it will crack near the hinges.

Continuing on.The nice lady at the American Standard helpline said the new seat starts with 5020. Instead of one button it has two to release the seat.

In a nut shell, you press the button of the original seat and remove it. This leaves two stainless steel prongs with a white base at the bottom. You pry the white cap off with a screw driver or better yet a prying device. You unscrew the screw holding the prong in place, then you pry out the plastic insert and give it a mighty yank with pliers.

The 5220 seat has two black rubber inserts that you lube up with soapy water and push them into the existing holes of the mounting area where you just removed the white plastic inserts. :oops: You then mount the plastic piece with two new stainless steel prongs. When you insert the new screws it compresses the rubber inserts and locks the prongs in place. Here are some shots.

D26758CB-08D6-4129-9A10-C1060D6680C5.jpeg

0107291E-188C-466E-B54A-C8F745578BF9.jpeg

3F59FCA4-5483-4F5E-AAD8-18F50DD48EEF.jpeg

F2F90B45-F24D-4628-B871-240307FA8F59.jpeg

877C799A-B071-438D-8A54-25364DEEAFED.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, bittoggers. So the wife wants a new soft-close toilet seat. The old one is worn out and her cousin Bertha sat on it with the lid down while blow drying her hair and now the lid is cracked. To make matters worse, it’s one of those fancy toilets where you can’t get in underneath to screw a nut on the toilet seat screw.

This is a 12 year old American Standard model 4000 with an elongated soft close toilet heat that starts with number 5218. This seat was pretty fancy with a single push button to release it so the hired help can easily clean it. It turns out it is discontinued probably because if someone as heavy as Bertha sits on the cover it will crack near the hinges.

Continuing on.The nice lady at the American Standard helpline said the new seat starts with 5020. Instead of one button it has two to release the seat.

In a nut shell, you press the button of the original seat and remove it. This leaves two stainless steel prongs with a white base at the bottom. You pry the white cap off with a screw driver or better yet a prying device. You unscrew the screw holding the prong in place, then you pry out the plastic insert and give it a mighty yank with pliers.

The 5220 seat has two black rubber inserts that you lube up with soapy water and push them into the existing holes of the mounting area where you just removed the white plastic inserts. :oops: You then mount the plastic piece with two new stainless steel prongs. When you insert the new screws it compresses the rubber inserts and locks the prongs in place. Here are some shots.

View attachment 208894

View attachment 208895

View attachment 208896

View attachment 208897

View attachment 208898
I need to update the correct number for the replacement. It was 5025.
F1617479-4066-4706-8CD5-DC0BA4A0F981.jpeg

Kohler has soft close quick release seats, they are really quick and easy to install and to remove for cleaning, I just replaced one in house too as seat cracked. Just make sure both seat and lid are soft close.

I have put 5 of these so far. 2 of them the button stuck in and would not pop out so the seat would not lock in. Easy fix but with the customer lookin on..

When this seat design came about years ago I asked my wholesaler if these were dishwasher safe. He called Kohler co. and was hung up on twice by the secretary when he asked the question.

If anybody knows if these seats are dishwasher safe I would like to know...never found out.

I don't want no crappy seat in my dishwasher. Do you know how much water sits in the bottom of the dishwasher after you run something through it? That's naaaaasty

I don't want no crappy seat in my dishwasher. Do you know how much water sits in the bottom of the dishwasher after you run something through it? That's naaaaasty
Your comment sparked this exchange:

Me: "Dear, hypothetically, what do you think of the idea of periodically running a toilet seat through the dishwasher?"

Her: "EWW, THAT'S DISGUSTING!!!"

Many will put motor parts in the dishwasher when no one is lookin..

Same stuff that went in comes out so..I bet no one would be the wiser if there was no one to see..

Back