Urgent Brake Caliper Help - 2013 Taurus

Got a 2013 taurusceptor and I replaced the rear calipers in late 2022. Unfortunatly the passenger rear has a small leak at the brake hose to caliper connnection. Here is the issue. It is not a thru bolt style with two copper crush washers. It is a tapered hose that screws into the caliper. You have to hold the caliper in your hand and rotate it, instead of the hose. Then when done the hose has to be straight.

If I do this the hose is not tight enough, and it will leak. If I attempt to go one more revolution, it is WAY too tight and I have to stop half to three quarters of the way of one full rotation and the hose is not aligned with the angle of movement. Its kind of kinked.

How do I fix this? Shall I use teflon tape or get another caliper and hope the threads are not as worn?

I cannot change the hose, Cant get it loose. I was going to do that first.

I think the teflon tape might work if you get the thicker version designed for gas lines and use multiple layers. It should be available at Lowes or Home Depot and is often blue or yellow instead of white. I use the Blue Monster brand.

1708609283113.jpg

Sounds like you will have to find a way to loosen the hose to hard line connection. Spray all manner of rust busting stuff on the fitting and eventually you can loosen it. Teflon tape won’t seal a flared fitting.

Reactions: TCL
Sounds like you will have to find a way to loosen the hose to hard line connection. Spray all manner of rust busting stuff on the fitting and eventually you can loosen it. Teflon tape won’t seal a flared fitting.
It is not a flared fitting...it is a deep threaded coupling as shown on the left end of the photo below. Teflon tape might work since there are multiple threads that engage the caliper inlet.

1708609971150.jpg

Got a 2013 taurusceptor and I replaced the rear calipers in late 2022. Unfortunatly the passenger rear has a small leak at the brake hose to caliper connnection. Here is the issue. It is not a thru bolt style with two copper crush washers. It is a tapered hose that screws into the caliper. You have to hold the caliper in your hand and rotate it, instead of the hose. Then when done the hose has to be straight.

If I do this the hose is not tight enough, and it will leak. If I attempt to go one more revolution, it is WAY too tight and I have to stop half to three quarters of the way of one full rotation and the hose is not aligned with the angle of movement. Its kind of kinked.

How do I fix this? Shall I use teflon tape or get another caliper and hope the threads are not as worn?

I cannot change the hose, Cant get it loose. I was going to do that first.

Fix the hose to the caliper, then onto the brake line. It's the only way. If needed replace part of the hard brake line

The picture you posted is not a tapered thread.
I agree that the photo of the Motorcraft part does not appear to show tapered threads. However, since I'm not in PA, I can only go on what the OP stated. Based upon my experience with Ford calipers, they either seal with traditional banjo bolt fittings with two copper washers or with a single copper crush washer like some oil pan drain plugs. Perhaps Fordiesel69 can help clarify how it seals.

If the right side connection of the hose as shown in the photo is accurate, the OP might be able to unclip the hose from the mounting bracket and rotate the hose slightly without disconnecting the front end from the hard metal brake line. Again, without being there and lacking photos/videos, I can only speculate.

I agree that the photo of the Motorcraft part does not appear to show tapered threads. However, since I'm not in PA, I can only go on what the OP stated. Based upon my experience with Ford calipers, they either seal with traditional banjo bolt fittings with two copper washers or with a single copper crush washer like some oil pan drain plugs. Perhaps Fordiesel69 can help clarify how it seals.

If the right side connection of the hose as shown in the photo is accurate, the OP might be able to unclip the hose from the mounting bracket and rotate the hose slightly without disconnecting the front end from the hard metal brake line. Again, without being there and lacking photos/videos, I can only speculate.
PA?

Not possible. Cannot undo that connection and there is no accessbile place to splice a new hard line in.

Will let it leak until weather improves. I may have to try another caliper to see if threads seal better.

Not possible. Cannot undo that connection and there is no accessbile place to splice a new hard line in.

Will let it leak until weather improves. I may have to try another caliper to see if threads seal better.

Don’t let it leak. And since that is your solution for now, I gather it’s a small leak.
Try Teflon tape, but the yellow one that’s rated for natural gas, it is rated for oil, gas and other petroleum chemicals, so it should be good with glycol.

Jeez, no, don't use teflon tape. It's never recommended for brake fluid. Pressure can hit 2000 PSI.

If you can't fix it right, go to a shop. A brake fluid leak is no good.

I'm a little suspicious of using "pipe thread" to seal.

Edit, I looked at a pic on rockauto and see two copper washers you may be missing.

Last edited:
Back