Thinking it would be good to not warm up before oil change.

Does draining the oil when it is hot get the most oil out of the engine?

Three different drain scenarios were compared. The first scenario was
the hot oil drain. The engine was warmed up to a water temperature of
200°F. The engine was running just seconds before draining. The oil
temperature was checked while draining the hot oil and was
approximately l50°F.

The second scenario was the warm oil drain. The engine was warmed up
to a water temperature a l45°F. The oil temperature was checked while
draining the warm oil and was approximately 90°F.

The third and final scenario was the cold oil drain. The engine was
warmed up to 200°F and then allowed to sit for 12 hours in a 50°F
garage.

The results showed that the cold engine drained out more oil than the
hot or warm engine did. The cold engine left behind 0.3% of the engine
oil, while the hot engine left behind 4.5% of the engine oil. The warm
engine left behind the most oil at 6.8%.

Why did the cold engine drain more oil? In two of the three
conditions, the engine was running and oil was being circulated
throughout the engine just prior to the oil being drained out. While
oil flows better when hot, it still takes time for all the oil to
return to the sump, where it can be drained out.

The warm engine oil increased the effect of the oil circulated
throughout the engine. Warm oil does not drain back as quickly to the
oil sump as hot oil does, so more of the oil is left in the engine in
the few minutes it takes to drain the oil sump.
So the missing information in this "testing" is what defined the end of the drain period? Were all cases drained for the same amount of time? Was the drain period over when the oil only dripped X times in Y time? Without knowing that parameter, it's not a very good test comparison.

Does draining the oil when it is hot get the most oil out of the engine?

Three different drain scenarios were compared. The first scenario was
the hot oil drain. The engine was warmed up to a water temperature of
200°F. The engine was running just seconds before draining. The oil
temperature was checked while draining the hot oil and was
approximately l50°F.

The second scenario was the warm oil drain. The engine was warmed up
to a water temperature a l45°F. The oil temperature was checked while
draining the warm oil and was approximately 90°F.

The third and final scenario was the cold oil drain. The engine was
warmed up to 200°F and then allowed to sit for 12 hours in a 50°F
garage.

The results showed that the cold engine drained out more oil than the
hot or warm engine did. The cold engine left behind 0.3% of the engine
oil, while the hot engine left behind 4.5% of the engine oil. The warm
engine left behind the most oil at 6.8%.

Why did the cold engine drain more oil? In two of the three
conditions, the engine was running and oil was being circulated
throughout the engine just prior to the oil being drained out. While
oil flows better when hot, it still takes time for all the oil to
return to the sump, where it can be drained out.

The warm engine oil increased the effect of the oil circulated
throughout the engine. Warm oil does not drain back as quickly to the
oil sump as hot oil does, so more of the oil is left in the engine in
the few minutes it takes to drain the oil sump.

In the case of the cold oil drain, the engine was hot when turned off.
The 12 hours of sitting allowed (almost) all the distributed oil to
return to the oil pan.

What About Particulates? SAE standards and research papers show that
oil filters capture particles down to 10 microns. When the engine is
turned off, the oil is relatively free of particles larger than 10
microns, and particles smaller than 10 microns will stay in suspension
even when the oil is cold.

What About Water and Fuel Contamination? In most cases, oil
contamination is held in suspension. Waiting until the oil is cold
will maximize the amount of contaminants that actually drain out.
Running the engine before changing the oil spreads the contaminated
oil throughout the engine, increasing the amount of contaminated oil
that is left behind and mixes with the new. clean oil.

What Was Drain Time? It took about twice as long to drain the cold oil
from the sump compared to the hot oil. The warm engine oil split the
difference in time between the two. But in all cases, draining the
sump took less than four minutes.

What's The Verdict? It's fine to drain used oil from a cold engine.
This avoids dealing with scalding hot oil and working around a hot
exhaust system. As a bonus, it also drains more of the dirty oil from
the engine.

This doesn't make any sense. Basically all this is saying is that the hot and warm engines were not allowed to drain for long enough. If they're trying to say that hot/warm oil needs to sit for several hours in order for it to drain past the point of leaving ~7% in the engine, I don't buy that. Oil is circulated through the engine at several gallons per minute and needs to drain as fast as it is pumped.

Not to mention this "study" appear to have only been done on one type of engine, which is not identified.

So the missing information in this "testing" is what defined the end of the drain period? Were all cases drained for the same amount of time? Was the drain period over when the oil only dripped X times in Y time? Without knowing that parameter, it's not a very good test comparison.
So how many drips do you draw the line?

So how many drips do you draw the line?
I typically drain oil within 20 minutes of a hot shutdown (so oil is still pretty hot), remove the filter and then let everything drain over night. So by the next day all oil has stopped dripping. But, if I don't do the over night drain I will typically let it drain for up to an hour while I change the filter and do some other checks. After an hour, the dip rate is pretty low.

What Was Drain Time? It took about twice as long to drain the cold oil
from the sump compared to the hot oil. The warm engine oil split the
difference in time between the two. But in all cases, draining the
sump took less than four minutes.
Wait ... so in all cases the oil was only allowed to drain for less than 4 minutes? With the oil at room temperature, it's going to take more than 4 minutes to get an effective sump drain. Sure, all the oil that could drain down from the top end of the engine into the sump did so already, but I'd bet there was still some oil dripping pretty good after draining cold oil for less than 4 minutes.

Reference post in another similar thread.

I lost the source during a HD upgrade...

It is too bad that @BusyLittleShop lost his source for the study that was done on this subject. Without it, or some other data, all we have are theories and opinions.

Here's a PDF of the source:
https://www.starbikeforums.com/attachments/hotorcoldoil-pdf.109114/

It was only the intro that we were missing:

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 6.06.01 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 6.11.03 AM.png

Hyundai will give you three oil fill specs. Oil and filter change, oil pan or new block. My Gen Coupe has a sump in the front of the pan that will retain about a pint or so no matter what.

1.6L Accent
Total oil 3.8L
Drain and filter 3.3L
New oil pan 3.0L

2L Gen Coupe
Total oil 5.9L
Drain and filter 5.3L
Oil pan 5.0L

Basically the filter is .3L But at least .5L is trapped in the block/pan.
Having that "new block" specification is referenced often by Hyundai mechanics.

Well, if you believe that there are "particals" circulating in the engine, then the thing to do is to warm it up and get them suspended in the oil. So that when you drain the oil, they will be removed because they are in suspension in the oil.

By now, those particles are all in the bottom of the sump, where they will stay when you drain the oil.

So, are there, in fact particles in the engine?
I tend to think, if there are particles, most of them are in the filter.. or floating around in the oil..
I prefer to drain oil hot. cause it comes out of the hole quickly.
Never worried about the rest of the scenarios as they probably make no difference over the long run.

It's a "me" problem but normally I do mine at the end of driveway on ramps utilizing the extra space from the sloped apron. If I block the driveway to long 3-4 other people get jammed up. I also don't want to leave my car up on ramps that way overnight. Since I need to pull it up on the ramps, if I shut the motor off the cold oil has circulated and takes longer to drain back.

Doing my filter swaps to check EC30 cleaning as I just did on CRV and Accord, I found the filters were much harder to remove when cold. I also found that a lot more oil than I expected drained from filter area. It also drained slower and "clung" to the outside of filter making more of mess. The filters on both sit at like a 45 degree angle at bottom of motor.

For me overall I'm on the warm to hot change. I'll pull it on the ramps and let it idle while I get the rest of my oil change gear together and prefill the filter with new oil. When temp gauge is up into range some I shut it down and then start draining a couple minutes later.

I don't have a bike. I like them. The idiots on the road I see daily have no respect for them and are oblivious in general. With the FD I respond to too many motorcycle vs. car accidents around here.

Thanks, @michael007, for sharing the article and link. Reading the article, it sounds like a lot of effort was put into making sure the data is valid.

Short of any other well done study, I'd say that it sounds like cold is a pretty good way to do an oil change.-

Per the article, the end of the oil draining period was: "When no more oil was seen running down the clear tube ..."

But this is the part I have a hard time believing - so they are saying that with the cold oil at 50 deg F, it took less than 4 minutes for "no more oil was seen running down the clear tube" ... ? Hummm, hard to believe. I'd bet there was quite a bit of oil still dripping out at less then 4 minutes into the drain.

Seems like there would be a more repeatable way to determine the end of the drain period, like X drips per minute. Or just let it drain for 24 hours when there would probably be no more dripping. But seems their criteria for the end of the oil drain period was based on doing a "quick oil change", not really trying to determine the ultimate volume drain difference when all dripping had stopped.

1698863231668.png

Last edited:
This thread has thoroughly drained my desire to put any effort into draining the oil. I once knew a guy who changed his oil three times in row in one day to "get it all out." I told him he had to do at least ten consecutive oil changes in one day to do this properly.

I put some nasty Shockproof oil in my manual once. It's puke green and clings to everything. Changed once with a normal gear oil and it came out the same green. So I put some naphtha type mineral spirts in it Jacked up, put it through all the gears for about 15 minutes under no load. Then let drain for two days.....

If it's a cold oil change I'll let it drain for hours. But it is this time that most of the solid crud comes out especially with the warm engine. It's sitting on the bottom and until the level is so low the oil starts dragging it out with it it, doesn't move when the oil is initially started to drain unless it's close to the drain opening. IMHO

Back