I have always loved to watch F1 but....

Max is a machine. Pure talent. A bit arrogant but he can back it up. I'll take him any day over Hamilton or Vettel in their prime. I couldn't stand seeing either of them on screen or hearing everyone gush over them. I don't know how anyone thought they were 'humble'. What an act and apparently it worked on lots of people.

I realize everyone's loving the Alonso renaissance, but Hamilton is not Alonso and he needs to retire.
I'd like to see Alonso, Hamilton, Verstappen, Norris, and Leclerc, in the same car for a season as they are my top 4. I think Verstappen or Leclerc would have a good battle for P1 in qualifying, but over a race distances, I think Alonso and Hamilton are going to be right with them.
Max has gotten much better at managing his emotions and tires, but I think still is a little behind Alonso on "race craft" and managing himself in tough situations. Hamilton is a bit too ruthless/careless with car contact sometimes...

Personally I don't think drivers have to be humble, or anything really, just professional and be themselves in addition. I've got no problem with some personal causes of athletes being added on the side, as long as it doesn't take over. Rainbow helmets or whatever, sounds good, they are they're own brand and can use that as they see fit or by the contract they sign with the team.

I question Max's actual racecraft.
I don't. When his car wasn't as competitive, he definitely had to try a lot harder, be more aggressive, take chances. Now with the current car and him being "as one" with it, the combination is nearly untouchable. When he's not in pole position, the joke is "how many laps before Max takes the lead?" and it's usually the case.

Nope, stopped around 2010.
Just reading comments in this thread about drivers being whiney, arrogant, humble. Almost no talk about actual racing.

Proves I’m not missing anything.
Um, so why post at all? I don't follow NASCAR so I don't comment on it, as I know nothing about it, other than the new cars are tough as nails, and you can run around the wall WO for a corner and still make it to the finish line!

Whenever I think of the best I always frame that within the era in which they raced. Max, although talented, has been incredibly lucky.

Compare that to the career path and era of Michael Schumacher.
you can say that for almost any successful person.
being in the right spot at the right time, has alot to do with any success many of us enjoy or miss out on.
Working hard and being smart helps out too.

Having been involved in another professional racing series, on underfunded teams, and dominant Championship winning teams, I have to laugh at the whining from the likes of Hamilton.

Step up or shut up.

More power to Redbull and Max.
Sure but there must be some sympathy when the team owner Toto Wolff tells the press

"That car finished second last week and the week before, and whatever we did to it was horrible... this car doesn't deserve a win"" Lewis survived out there, but George... I can only feel for the two driving such a miserable thing."​

being in the right spot at the right time, has alot to do with any success many of us enjoy or miss out on.
Sure which is why I refrain from using "Best ever". It's all relative.

A significant part of the problem here is that the FIA is changing the regulation set too frequently. If you keep the regulations relatively static for a longer period of time, the rest of the field has more time to copy the frontrunners, and you get some parity between teams near the end of the regulation set (not 100% parity, of course, but much closer competition).

As it is, every time they change the regulation set, there's a frontrunner who, out of better engineering or just pure luck, hits much closer to the optimal design than the rest of the field, and they can maintain that advantage through the next 3-4 years.

Another issue is the overly harsh enforcement of gardening leave. If you facilitate more transfer of knowledge between teams by hiring, you'd see more rapid evolution to parity across the field than you do now. Currently, if you hire from a competitor, it may be 2-3 years before you actually see any benefit from that hiring.

Yup.
Would Schumacher be so dominant if Senna didn’t have his tragic accident?
We are at the mercy of the faith, luck, whatever you want to call it, more than we realize or like to admit.

Sure but there must be some sympathy when the team owner Toto Wolff tells the press

"That car finished second last week and the week before, and whatever we did to it was horrible... this car doesn't deserve a win"" Lewis survived out there, but George... I can only feel for the two driving such a miserable thing."​

No sympathy from me. Competing at the highest level in anything, is not, and should not be easy. If it was, anyone could do it, and there would be a corresponding lack of interest.

Being the best requires a serious commitment in time, effort, and in professional racing, money.

Arrogance has been mentioned a few times. I have no problem with drivers or teams being arrogant. That's a necessary component to want to strive to win. But above all, don't whine when things aren't going your way.

I have no problem with drivers or teams being arrogant.
At least they remain civilized vs resorting to fist-fighting. Plus, a lot of the so-called arrogance is made-up by tabloid-like media that covers F1. I don't know if NASCAR has the amount of "gossip" that F1 does and 90% always turns out to be fake news.

No sympathy from me. Competing at the highest level in anything, is not, and should not be easy. If it was, anyone could do it, and there would be a corresponding lack of interest.

Being the best requires a serious commitment in time, effort, and in professional racing, money.

Arrogance has been mentioned a few times. I have no problem with drivers or teams being arrogant. That's a necessary component to want to strive to win. But above all, don't whine when things aren't going your way.
I was confused by your "Step up or shut up" comment regarding Hamilton. How is he supposed "step up" in a bad car?

Well F1 comes to Las Vegas this month. Maybe seeing it in person is the ticket to liking it. Place your bets now…

Why Now Is Suddenly a Bad Time to Visit Las Vegas
https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/trave...ffic-029f310d?reflink=integratedwebview_share
Went to the Circuit of the Americas for the 2021 F1 race here. I was not impressed with the experience. You get a very brief glimpse of the cars passing by and that’s about it. I knew when Hamilton went by because the crowd started to cheer, otherwise I had no idea what was going on.

Maybe if I sat at an overtake corner it would be better, but also a lot more expensive, plus there isn’t much overtaking going on anyways.

YMMV.

I was not impressed with the experience. You get a very brief glimpse of the cars passing by and that’s about it.
Given the price of tickets at the US races, I have no interest in going. Like you say, you only get a "glimpse" of action and the cars are often only a blur. I'm fine with TV.

Ever been to a college or NFL football game in person ? It's mind-numbingly boring with the amount of time the players stand around doing nothing. You sit there waiting for the TV networks to allow them to re-start playing.

Back