I Applied At A Havoline Express Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree with this. I've met no one in person who cares at all about the knowledge I've gained regarding oil. I just keep it to myself.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I really just want to be in the pit most of the day. I'm not a social person, but I can communicate as needed for work. My plan is to just do my job and not worry about the rest. If they want me changing other fluids and filters at unneeded intervals, so be it.

If you have half-a-brain, are clean, and can speak clearly, you'll find yourself topside and talking to customers. The "salesmanship" is fairly intuitive and should be all based on what's best for the customer to establish and maintain long term relations and referrals. unfortunately, some of the middle-management of these places are d-bags...

See if there is a Yelp review of the location you applied at. It might help you get a customer prospective of the establishment.
And what are your plans for the future? I started out as a grease monkey at a Honda dealer. I didn't like it. I went to Nashville Auto
Diesel college and worked my way to UPS and am making $35 an hour. Use the job as a stepping stone. There isn't enough diesel mechanics out there or even trailer semi mechanics. We have a mechanic at the trailer shop that was making $23 an hour at Wally world as a trailer mechanic.

There's a lot I don't wish to discuss publicly. I've dealt with the public at my father's shop, where I've been a little of everything. I'd like to just go work somewhere and let the business side of everything be on someone else's shoulders. Believe it or not, I can live comfortably on a lot less than the numbers you're speaking of. I wouldn't know what to do with myself making that kind of money.

I wouldn't know what to do with myself making that kind of money.
Good luck with the job.

With more money you move out into your own place and start saving for retirement. While it seems like a long ways away, saving for retirement is very important.

Good Luck
grin.gif

Although I do my own oil changes, if I needed someone to do me an oil change, who wears a Havoline hat, hangs out at BITOG, at least have BOB over the shirt pocket if not BITOG, Red91 would do on the other side, provide hot coffee and provides correct answer when I ask if retired military gets a discount, don't mess with my air filter or anything else, don't pour the used oil in my gas tank and charge me for upper cylinder lubrication, play with the toys (stereo, HAM Radio, GPS, front & rear dash cams, radar detector etc), don't drop cigarette ashes inside dash vents, loose french fries between the seats, don't charge me $19.95 per quart of windshield washer fluid, don't steal the toilet paper from the glove box.............

Ahhh... Good luck
grin.gif

Once you get hired and begin working weekly, don't bring any Lube Shop dirty laundry here. Info spoken here can easily get into the hands of your employer. So if the practices there include skimming the customer, don't announce it here.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

Most of the time at these quick change places you sell extra services. The national chain I worked had quotas with incentives (make more money and keeping your job). This for them was standard operating procedure.

UPSELL!!! UPSELL!!! UPSELL!!!

I believe they can. Pretty much they just drive over the pit and wait.

So do they use a Sawsall for access to filter and drain plug on cars with a belly pan and no removable covers or remove and replace 8 - 12 bolts?

Originally Posted By: user52165
Is this a quicky place where the customer stays in the car during service?
The Valvoline Instant Oil Change places that do our vans have started encouraging not getting out of the vehicle lately-I understand safety & all, but I don't trust them not to screw something up if they're not being watched. Last time I had to tell them to reinflate my warmed-up rear tires because they were letting air OUT of them for being "overinflated"-I seriously wish I could just change the oil in it myself (no dice, co. leased vehicle).

I wouldn't know what to do with myself making that kind of money.

You just save it and stick it in the stock market, a simple mutual fund would be either the Vanguard Index 500 or Vanguard total stock market index. You need to think longer term, pay cash for a car, buy a house, retirement. If you have kids, the cost of a kid is over 200k. People over 65 are estimated to need 260k in their retirement just for medical expenses such as premium, deductibles, co-pays, medications etc.

Plan for the future. It will be here a lot sooner than you think.

I tend to agree with this. I've met no one in person who cares at all about the knowledge I've gained regarding oil. I just keep it to myself.

And I'd be willing to bet they would all of a sudden become educated and instant experts and tell you that you're wrong if you began to preach to them as to how as thick as necessary, but as thin as possible works, as they chide you for suggesting a 5W-20 (or something like it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back