Hyundai new car oil recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because I don't think it's necessary and there's a lot of good available options for me in 5W-30. While 34 degrees celcius is certainly warm, it's not over-the-top kind of heat and I think the any 5/10W-30 will hold up just fine. That said, it's really up to you. No matter what you choose will work just fine. I mean, it looks like you could run anything up to a 20W-50, so you can shop by price, availability, oil jug color, whatever you want. If you have a lot of XW-40 in your stash, go ahead and run it. Just make sure you have everything you need for proof of oil changes in case warranty issues arise.

Originally Posted by LotI
According to the manual, anything you want. ...

This.
You can use 5w-20 and never have an oil related issue.
You can use 20w-50 and never have an oil related issue.

The important thing to change regularly.
These motors are easy on oil, and your temps are not any issue at all.

Originally Posted by bernau
Thanks, the after sales service person was saying if you use other than shell helix 5w 30, your warranty will be voided.

I have a rather huge stash of rotella and other oils that I hope I can eventually use.

Since you are not in the USA, no idea on how the warranty laws work. In the US, that is an incorrect statement.

According to page 8-6 in the owners manual, the 1.6 NA in areas except Middle East are SAE 5w-20 / API Latest.
On page 8-8, it gives you the out that the 5w-20 is recommended for best fuel economy, so is not required (so thereby they are contradicting the owners manual).
The chart shows acceptable oils are 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, 15w-40 and 20w-50.
5w-20 would be my choice, followed by 10w-30 then 5w-30. I personally would not use 15w-40, and find 20w-50 to be something way out there for that engine.

Seems like most would use the 30 oils. Why not 5-40 or thicker despite the manual? Any reason for it? Fuel economy?

Reason I'm asking is 90 percent of my stash is 40 weight oil.

I think your manual answers your question best. You can use a 40 or 50 but your best fuel economy is going to be at 5/30. The same engine for Europe can take 5/40, so I don't see why you couldn't technically use your stash of 40 but I'm not the oil expert here in this forum so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
Thanks, the after sales service person was saying if you use other than shell helix 5w 30, your warranty will be voided.
I have a rather huge stash of rotella and other oils that I hope I can eventually use.
Since you are not in the USA, no idea on how the warranty laws work. In the US, that is an incorrect statement.
I was wondering about that too. Laws are different around the planet on how a dealership might be able to tell Hyundai car owners like bernau "You have to use Shell Helix oil and have the car regularly serviced here on schedule, or we will deny any warranty engine service." In the U.S., they really can't do that. I heard in Canada it can happen, all laws vary of course.

bernau, I like blupupher's advice here best. Follow that. ..... Strictly speaking, your Owner's Manual says you need to use: API SN GF-5 5w-20, for your region of the planet, and the dealership might try to force you into the Shell Helix brand(?). Really, you could show your Owner's Manual to the dealership person, and point to the word "Recommends" where it mentions Shell Helix. "Recommends" in English means it is not required, but merely a suggestion as a good one to choose, not mandatory.

All that said, you can still use whatever oil you have on hand now, your A3/B4 stuff is fine. The manual allows a lot of exceptions to their 5w20 line. Just make sure it has an API starburst seal or has ACEA certification of some kind.

5w20 or 5w30.

What is your driving routine? City traffic or provincial highway? How many km per year?

A big difference between driving in KL traffic and out in the hinterlands.

Assuming we're talking about a port injected Gamma II, I'd probably use either 5w-30 or 10w-30...I personally wouldn't use a 5w-40 in this engine here...and I might question using it there given my experience with the GDI version. The quality of the gas and your driving habits would probably dictate what you use.

Seems like most would use the 30 oils.

Personal opinion. We all have them.

My opinion is.........it doesn't matter.

If your oil meets spec, then use your oil.

While I know it's fashionable on here to say "if it meets spec, you can use it", that doesn't answer the question about what might be optimal. That might require you to experiment a bit. If, for example, using a 5w-40 seems to make the engine sluggish and a 5w-30 or 10w-30 doesn't...then you've probably answered part of the equation within that one parameter. If your gas is relatively "dirty", then you might want to consider going thicker, etc. H/K doesn't import GDI vehicles into countries where the fuel doesn't meet certain requirements...I don't know if Malaysia is in that category or not, but I'd think it would be something to consider in relation to your choice.

From my six year experience with the U.S. GDI version of this engine, I wouldn't put any 40 or 50 weight oil in it. Whether that accurately transfers to your experience or requirements might be questionable. However, in the U.S. or Malaysia, I don't think a 20w-50 is as good as a 5w-20, 5w-30, or 10w-30 with this engine unless there's an applicable reason to use it. In that sense, it probably would matter even if the manual gives you the leeway to use multiple grades.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Seriously, what's so difficult about spelling out where you stay?

Privacy concerns. Spell it out, and national security is compromised.

If it's for warranty purposes, will they not fill it at the dealership according to their specified oils? Isn't it Rimula in Malaysia rather?

I too ran 0w-40 in both Forte and Sportage one very hot summer and have to say - don't do it.
The thing is thicker oil moves thru engine slower all in all and that transfers into higher engine temps.
Personally, I think 5w-30 or 10w-30 is all you should consider unless the engine has turbo, then 0w-40 or 5w-40 AND short OCIs should be considered.

*I calculated where 5 & 10 weight intersect was approx. 19 degrees , if you see temps below that then start up protection then 5 weight is better , if you see only above 19 degrees then 10 weight is all you SHOULD need . I wonder though with D1 / Gen 2 , SN+ specs if the 5W30 has over all better qualities than the 10W30 without those new oil ratings ?
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Your manual will CYA you. I have a Kia 3.8L and like yours, it lists 10w30 as long as I don't go below 0 but goes on to "recommend" 5/20 & 5/30 for best engine performance/mileage.

You should be just fine running 10/30 where you're at.

Originally Posted by Oleo
Isn't it Rimula in Malaysia rather?

Don't answer that. They'll know who you are and come after you.

Last edited:
If you are tropical/subtropical Asia with warm year round temps I would go 5w-40 or 15w-40 and never look back.

Even stateside Hyundai's are giving the wink and nod towards 5w-40.

Last edited:
Use your "rather large stash" of Rotella and keep your oci to around 5k miles (only because I suspect short tripping).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back