Hows living in Texas? Moving family soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DFW area has its nice and not so nice areas. I've spent a ton of time there and downtown Dallas is fantastic, however if you get out near Parkland, things start to go downhill neighbourhood-wise. The DFW Gun Range is a nice little indoor range if you shoot handguns too.

Quote:
Property taxes = INSANE. A 3,000 sq ft house in Dallas is $8,000 -$12,000 a year in prop taxes

I guess it's all relative. Where we used to live in IL, that's what we paid in prop taxes, and also paid state income tax on top of it.

Really not excited for the heat but there is always AC.

My wife and I love going to parks and such and we want to take baby out a lot to free family stuff, we just hope there is plenty of that.

DFW area is nice, the D side less so than the FW side IMO. Arlington is decent by day, has crime by night.

Have you and your spouse ever lived with someone else? A new child makes marriage trying at times and now adding another person into household for a further dynamic.

As far as Texas goes that is personal whether you like it or not. I did not enjoy any of it in DFW area working down there for a year. You can look at window at nicest day only to find its brutal outside.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Hot. Austin is the only decent place in TX if you desire progressive thinking and social justice.

Ha ha ha. Thanks for the humor.

Remind me not to complain when i write a $1500 property tax check in November. (Cheapish 250k house in utah) Even with state income tax it seems cheaper. I would live in Texas in heartbeat though.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Hot. Austin is the only decent place in TX if you desire progressive thinking and social justice.
Indeed--Austin is another country.

Austin is the only decent place in TX if you desire progressive thinking and social justice.

You haven't been experimenting with Willie Nelson in that area, have you Donald?
cool.gif

I lived in the Dallas area for 10 years. Five years in Dallas and five years in Plano, which is right north of Dallas. I met my wife in Dallas and my two oldest kids were born there, so I'll give it a high rating.
Traffic can be a bummer, summers are warm, but winters are great and there's always something to do there 24 hours a day.
I had an EXCELLENT job there while I was there and sometimes I still wish I was there.
I now live in a rural area that has only about 3,000 people in the whole county, so you know what I really miss from the Dallas area? Liquor stores that have about 900 different varieties of beer.

My wife and I are used to living with another person, only way we can afford to live in Seattle. We live with a friend and she is an engineer here.

We are just trying to get a better idea about texas and DFW in general I guess. Usually I try to watch a youtube video or two that gives a good overview but I can't find anything for DFW.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I used to live in Grapevine. I'm moving back up there ASAP!!!!!!

Thought you lived near Waco?

I'm north of Houston,right outside of Conroe. Waco is probably 3.5 hours north of me. HUMID here year round!

Don't count out San Antonio. It's not near as expensive as Dallas, Austin, or Houston, there seems to be some company offering jobs for a new location here, and I personally think SA is a friendlier city. I would also say that even though SA ended up blue on election day it's really more of a red town politically. Way more red than the other 3 big cities.

I don't understand why people think living in a "red" area will be a better quality of life. I'm feeling rather fortunate to live where I do in a highly blue area.. No flooding, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no earthquakes, and no Forrest fires. I don't want to breathe smoke all summed either. All the people dissing on snow every winter are up to their butt in water right now. I'll take the snow. I mean, I have to listen to people tell me how stupid I am for living in the north every winter.

States without state tax normally have higher property tax. There's no free ride anywhere.

Seattle is beautiful. You'll move to texas and end up looking at tumbleweeds and dust, but beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I don't understand why people think living in a "red" area will be a better quality of life. I'm feeling rather fortunate to live where I do in a highly blue area.. No flooding, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no earthquakes, and no Forrest fires. I don't want to breathe smoke all summed either. All the people dissing on snow every winter are up to their butt in water right now. I'll take the snow. I mean, I have to listen to people tell me how stupid I am for living in the north every winter.

States without state tax normally have higher property tax. There's no free ride anywhere.

Seattle is beautiful. You'll move to texas and end up looking at tumbleweeds and dust, but beggars can't be choosers.

I love the snow, after we save up enough money living with my Uncle in Texas we plan to move north (thinking Minnesota).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Me,I've gotta have my ocean!! The beach is my home away from home.

If you're in Houston, the ocean came to you last week!

Originally Posted By: andrewg

No Kidding.
Seriously, I about fell out of my chair when I read this.

First, Donald makes it sound like Austin is the only place worth living in Texas. That's so incredibly insulting.

Second, it's dabbles in the "political realm", and I'm proud of everyone for keeping their mouths shut. I personally have a LOT to say about "Progressiveism" and "social justice"... but I won't here.

In a lot of ways, Texas has become a bigger "melting Pot" than New York City. I can point to you where entire enclaves of ethnic folks live, and it sure makes life interesting sometimes. There a huge bunch of Romanian folks living around Axtell, and I Love being friends with them. One of them, Dini, is a mechanical genius and machinist and has a couple patents issued to him since moving here. They are also very welcoming and warm people, and also show us what the word FAMILY is "supposed to mean".

There's good and bad people everywhere you go. Don't fall into the "stereotype trap" if you watch way too much left leaning news.

In all my years the only bad thing I have heard about the culture of the Dallas area is the so called "$30,000 millionaire". Basically people who don't make any money but act like they do for social reasons.

Then again I think any major city has this type of person so it's not unique to Dallas.

And in terms of diversity, Texas has it covered. Fort Worth has a very large Vietnamese population, Dallas has a lot of Koreans near Carrollton, there's a large German settlement down near New Braunfels, etc, etc. It's not just a bunch of redneck cowboys like some seem to think.

Look the DFW Metroplex is like any large area crammed full of people. Some are nice, some are not. Traffic is horrendous & Hot summers are a given, it's Texas son.

I have lived in San Antonio, Brownsboro, Cedar Park(Austin), Brownsville, McKinney, and now Greenville.
Greenville is a small town (26,000 pop.) and has the nicest people of any where I've ever lived. It's about 35 miles NNE of Dallas.

The place I was happiest to exit? Austin TX. You could not pay me to live there again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back