How/Why The Pleats Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Too much DP and rigidity at the baseplate for the fibers to stay together. I think the maker put too much synthetic fibers in the mix.

Purolators that tear don't have any synthetic fibers. They are all cellulous from what I'm seeing, unless you can link up something showing otherwise.

One thing is for sure, Purolator's media seem way more brittle than other brand filters I've cut open and inspected. And full synthetic media is not brittle in any way from what I've seen.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
The potting material is OK! The tears occur in the media. The media is brittle and weak.

True.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Too much DP and rigidity at the baseplate for the fibers to stay together. I think the maker put too much synthetic fibers in the mix.

Purolators that tear don't have any synthetic fibers. They are all cellulous from what I'm seeing, unless you can link up something showing otherwise.

One thing is for sure, Purolator's media seem way more brittle than other brand filters I've cut open and inspected. And full synthetic media is not brittle in any way from what I've seen.

You are right.

Last edited:
It would be hard to know what the spreadsheet filters were made of based on a website claim at any particular time. It's news to me Purolator advertised 100% cellulose on the Classic and P1. I'm sure they were in the decades long before the tearing issue.

Really? You're telling us we need independent lab verification from SWRI or similar entity to determine whether an oil filter has cellulose, synthetic blend, or full synthetic media, rather than information freely provided direct from the filter manufacturer?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back