Fram PH4967, 7988 miles C&P

Took this filter off the Camry in my sig. It had 7988 miles, and two oil changes. On went another Fram PH4967, and some Castrol 40 grade combo (20w50 conventional & 5w20 Edge). I didn’t cut the filter element off, because I just wanted to see the pleats and the overall condition of the filter at 8K miles. Date code means it was made on October 10, 2022.

Doesn’t look bad for 8000 miles, although honestly I didn’t expect to see the pleat spacing visible in that first pic, and a couple of others as well. I am planning on taking these filters 8-10K miles, and now I’m wondering if I should upgrade to the TG 4967. The TG line has more pleats, at least that’s what I’ve been led to believe. On the one hand, perhaps another 2000 miles on this filter wouldn’t have caused a tear. On the other hand, part of me is thinking that if I have to wonder if my filter can go to 10,000 miles because it doesn’t look good at 8000, then I need to find a new filter. What do you all think?

I decided to try the Gallery method of posting a photo. It was a bit more awkward, and I think I prefer the pics in the post. Live and learn.

Well, it survived but its got some battle wounds. That bent pleat is proof. May want to use your advice & try a TG to test. Otherwise, the way the pictures are posted now takes me to another bigot url on my chromebook to see the photo but I'll do what I need to do to look at them no problem. Nice shots.

Unfortunately, I put on a new filter before I cut this one open, and it was another PH4967. A TG comparison/test won't be for a while.

Well, it survived but its got some battle wounds. That bent pleat is proof. May want to use your advice & try a TG to test. Otherwise, the way the pictures are posted now takes me to another bigot url on my chromebook to see the photo but I'll do what I need to do to look at them no problem. Nice shots.

Nice pics..the TGs ain't much better going by looks alone.

My reasoning it that it would have more pleats. For example, the EG3600 that I use on the other two cars (Highland & Sienna) has 40 pleats; but someone here counted a TG3600 they cut open and found it had 46. So another 6 pleats might eliminate those big spaces--I said might.

Nice pics..the TGs ain't much better going by looks alone.

My reasoning it that it would have more pleats. For example, the EG3600 that I use on the other two cars (Highland & Sienna) has 40 pleats; but someone here counted a TG3600 they cut open and found it had 46. So another 6 pleats might eliminate those big spaces--I said might.
You have many TG pictures from the years on here. I have used all the Frams and the only thing that impressed me were the old wire backed Ultras... I still have a few left.

I have a TG the same model as yours with 200 hours on it on my zero turn I will take off the first of this mowing season. I'm not expecting it to be pretty.

I will post it here in March...

Great. I'd appreciate it if you could count the pleats on it when you cut it open. I'll count the pleats on this one.

You have many TG pictures from the years on here. I have used all the Frams and the only thing that impressed me were the old wire backed Ultras... I still have a few left.

I have a TG the same model as yours with 200 hours on it on my zero turn I will take off the first of this mowing season. I'm not expecting it to be pretty.

I will post it here in March...

Here’s a TG @ 6,000 miles.

IMG_3605.jpeg

IMG_3606.jpeg

IMG_3607.jpeg

IMG_3610.jpeg

The TG do generally have more pleats than the PH series do, but only enough to make up for the higher efficiency media. Estimates posted here are consistent with my observations, 15% more pleats at the most.

The media on both series is very tough, while its common to see huge gaps and waves/bends/folds, tearing is virtually unheard of.

By far my most used filters since the 80s, but I am moving away from them now due to consistent quality downturns documented here.

The TG do generally have more pleats than the PH series do, but only enough to make up for the higher efficiency media. Estimates posted here are consistent with my observations, 15% more pleats at the most.

The media on both series is very tough, while its common to see huge gaps and waves/bends/folds, tearing is virtually unheard of.

By far my most used filters since the 80s, but I am moving away from them now due to consistent quality downturns documented here.
Agreed...when Fram made the old Ultra I looked at the TG as false economy...what's a few $$$

Just counted, and this one has 43 pleats. Some of them, as you can see in the pics above, were packed as tightly as pleats get--those were the ones on the other side of the seam. But of course, those pesky pleats by the seam are what does it every time....

Can't argue with that logic, although the more I'm seeing issues--or what could be issues in another 2000 miles--I'm just more inclined to go back to the OCOD for a 5K FCI, and do what would put a smile on Blue Oval Fitter's face. :)

Now the new Ultra is the one that doesn’t make much sense, go TG or just jump to Endurance.

Took this filter off the Camry in my sig. It had 7988 miles, and two oil changes. On went another Fram PH4967, and some Castrol 40 grade combo (20w50 conventional & 5w20 Edge). I didn’t cut the filter element off, because I just wanted to see the pleats and the overall condition of the filter at 8K miles. Date code means it was made on October 10, 2022.

Doesn’t look bad for 8000 miles, although honestly I didn’t expect to see the pleat spacing visible in that first pic, and a couple of others as well. I am planning on taking these filters 8-10K miles, and now I’m wondering if I should upgrade to the TG 4967. The TG line has more pleats, at least that’s what I’ve been led to believe. On the one hand, perhaps another 2000 miles on this filter wouldn’t have caused a tear. On the other hand, part of me is thinking that if I have to wonder if my filter can go to 10,000 miles because it doesn’t look good at 8000, then I need to find a new filter. What do you all think?

I decided to try the Gallery method of posting a photo. It was a bit more awkward, and I think I prefer the pics in the post. Live and learn.

Flexible end caps probably saved it from tearing. I'd step up or switch to a champ labs made ecore such as super tech or acdelco.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the spacing in the pleats. Like stated before, these filters very rarely tear. I use a lot of the PH4967 and TG4967 on mowers. They have always looked good so far. The media is bonded well to the end caps. I have pulled the media apart and it was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

Sure there are better filters, but the PH/TG is hard to beat for the value. You can get the PH for a little over $4 and the TG for around $7 on Amazon. The Purolator Classic equivalents are over $9. A Supertech MP4967 is cheaper, but then again you have 99% at 30 microns instead of 20 microns for efficiency. So unless you step up to a $15+ filter, I think the PH4967 or TG4967 are a good value.

Back