How well does Redline Oil clean engine varnish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sw99
I typically run a 10w30 HDEO like T5 Rotella or Delo LE with 20-25% MMO during the summer time. Does a great job cleaning the internals of an engine.

Unfortunately, Mobil Delo and all the rest of the major brand HDEO (except most of the Shell Rotella) are SN rated now.

Thus, Ca (along with Zn and Ph) are way, way down to levels found in average passenger car oil.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I typically run a 10w30 HDEO like T5 Rotella or Delo LE with 20-25% MMO during the summer time. Does a great job cleaning the internals of an engine.

It has been alleged MMO is mostly kerosene (or similar solvent). This likely is what is doing the "cleaning", IMO.

Seeing the pics inside the engine, I agree there is not much to clean.
Most of that looks like typical metal staining, with a little bit of varnish in the spring pocket areas.
I doubt any solvents or flush's will do much to this.
Just run a good synthetic oil and drive it!

The following is a quote from Dr. MoleKule concerning Varnish and Lacquer.

"A. In what type of engine does Lacquer originate?

B. In what type of engine does Varnish originate?

C. Lacquer is drierived from what?

D. Varnish is derived from what?

The aldehydes and ketones form from the reaction of NOx with hydrocarbons at or above 137 C. These aldehydes and ketones undergo condensation to form polymeric compounds. These polymeric compounds further oxidize to form sticky oxygenates called 'resins."

This resin is a basic component to all precursors such as varnish, lacquer, carbon, and sludge.

Varnish, lacquer and carbon show up when resins separate out on hot surfaces and dehydrates . Carbon start to drop out of the resin when the resin is subjected to temps ranging from 300 C to 680 C.

At or below 200 C, such as the piston skirts, these deposits form a thin film of lacquer or varnish.

Lacquer is largely formed in Deisel engines from lubricant components. Lacquer froms on piston skirts, cylinder walls, and in the cooler parts of the combustion chamber.

In gasoline engines, Varnish is largely formed from fuel components. Varnish forms on valve covers, piston rings, piston skirts, valve lifters, and PCV components.

BTW, lacquer is water soluble and varnish is only acetone soluble."

Source: Lacquer and Varnish

Respectfully,

Pajero!

"

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Unfortunately, Mobil Delo and all the rest of the major brand HDEO (except most of the Shell Rotella) are SN rated now.

Thus, Ca (along with Zn and Ph) are way, way down to levels found in average passenger car oil.

The reality is that using the SN once a year to keep things nice and clean wont hurt a thing. It's way cheaper than running an expensive oil and more than likely will do a better job. Just my .02

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

There's no real reason to fear a non-SN HDEO, assuming it's not a two-stroke diesel lube or a marine lube.

Originally Posted by KL31
Having seen the pics I would say that looks quite good. I wouldn't pour in any additives or cleaners in.

Cleaning it would honestly be pure wank factor. And to clarify, by wank factor I mean jerkin the gerkin, spanking the monkey, slapping the salami, etc.

Don't forget to choke the chicken lol. BTW your motor looks good to me. I wouldn't worry about trying to clean varnish off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back