How well does Redline Oil clean engine varnish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pajero
I did run a few hundred miles with Neutra, via the previous OCI. Oil came out very dark brown. Looked like feces, to be honest. Never seen it like that. I've always done my own oil changes.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Varnish can be very tough to remove. Red Line oil by itself will probably take a very long time, if it does it at all. IMO you'll get faster results sticking with the Neutra, Kreen, an engine flush etc. That's if the varnish is bothering you enough.

What I found worked very well in removing it was Kreen followed by a few oil changes with a good synthetic oil.

I found an old picture of my Olds V-8 small block taken at 88K miles while replacing the intake valley pan type gasket and cleaning out the EGR passages. This engine had a steady diet of Redline 10W-30, I lived in Florida at the time and the car saw quite a bit of highway driving and was kept in a good state of tune. The lifters show the color difference between the oil staining and clean travel area.

I personally think the varnish is there to stay.

A nice synthetic will certainly do some cleaning, but it could very well take just as long to remove varnish as it took to create it.

Originally Posted By: 86cutlass307
I found an old picture of my Olds V-8 small block taken at 88K miles while replacing the intake valley pan type gasket and cleaning out the EGR passages. This engine had a steady diet of Redline 10W-30, I lived in Florida at the time and the car saw quite a bit of highway driving and was kept in a good state of tune. The lifters show the color difference between the oil staining and clean travel area.

Is this clean? This is about what my truck looked like.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: 86cutlass307

Is this clean? This is about what my truck looked like.

That backs up what I was saying about RL taking a long time to clean varnish, if it cleans it at all.

Who cares about varnish it has no effect on an engine other than cosmetic. It's sludge you want to be worried about.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Who cares about varnish it has no effect on an engine other than cosmetic. It's sludge you want to be worried about.

It's a sticky substance that takes a lot of scrubbing to get off at rebuild time. It's much easier to remove it chemically while the engine is still running.

Shannow,

Great idea! Where does one buy this? Haven't found it on the internet. Nothing on amazon or ebay. Called local Tractor Supply and nothing. Cummins is on my list, but they are closed on the weekends. About 30 miles from me. But, I will entertain anything reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestions sir!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Shannow,

Great idea! Where does one buy this? Haven't found it on the internet. Nothing on amazon or ebay. Called local Tractor Supply and nothing. Cummins is on my list, but they are closed on the weekends. About 30 miles from me. But, I will entertain anything reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestions sir!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

It has ordering instructions in the link.

Is the CJ4 still available. I thought it was superseded by CK4. Perhaps, I could try that during the summer.

Respectfully,Pajero!

There is (was) some CJ-4 Rotella still on the shelves if you shop around, especially places where the inventory turnover is a little slow.

CJ-4 10w-30 Rotella is also an option.

I went to six different stores in the Albuquerque metro area and couldn't find any. That's a good idea going to small businesses. But, I did purchase the 10W30, as you suggested.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

15 gallons is fine for a fleet diesel truck treatment, but Pajero would need to sell most of it here so as to not take up the garage
laugh.gif

I'd vote for BG-109 (EPR) - one can per oil change and run it the full distance. Yes it'll flash off as the miles run up, but has worked for me. After about 5 oil changes, it will be noticeably reduced
smile.gif

Oh! So, I would have to purchase 15 gallons minimum? I took some pics, through an endoscope. I don't think it's bad as I thought. Looking through the oil filler can be deceiving.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Opinions please? I'm not mechanically inclined. So, I don't know what to make of aforementioned.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back