how to remove oil sender unit on '00 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Ford Explorer, V6 4.0 Liter FI, SOHC.

Anyone familiar with removing the the oil pressure sender unit on a 2000 Ford Explorer without damaging it? I'm installing a Frantz bypass filter and I need to insert a tee fitting in its place.

I tried gently tugging on the wires and felt around for a release but found none. Also, none of my open-ended wrenches would fit around the sender unit. Someone, somewhere mentioned a wrench for the sender-unit. Do I need a special wrench for the sender-unit on the '00 Explorer?

Thanks,
frown.gif

I had one go out on my mazda v6. Autozone sells the tool for $6.00 but does not have a free rental. The tool is pretty much universal.

I tried and tried to remove mine for 2 afternoons with a box wrench with no luck. I purchased the tool and it was off in seconds.

I had to buy the special socket to replace mine on a 93 Sentra. Purchased socket at Advance, but noticed the one at Auto Zone was cheaper and more univeral (after the install, of course).
grin.gif

Thanks, I'll go to Autozone and get the tool.

How do you get the wires out? Do you just give it a good yank. Is there a clip I need to press?

Thanks.

Mine had a harness. I may have had to squeeze and pull. But, I don't really remember the details. Don't know if Ford is similar. Maybe the fellows at a Ford forum would know.

I work at a Ford Dealer and this is how we do it:
The remove the harness connector you need to squeeze and pull. To get them out, we usually work through the left fender well or underneath. We always do it on a hoist. The socket is just a regular 6 pt deep socket, either 3/4 or 13/16 (can't remember at the moment). Universal and a small extention and you should be good to go. I've done a million of them but they are tricky to get to. If you look above the rack and pinion and under the power steering pump it is right there. Removing the power steering cooler and getting the lines out of the way may give more room. You don't have to open the power steering system, just relocate lines to gain better access. Check to see if you've had 00M12 campaign done as the tensioners are critical on these S0HC motors and it's a good time to change intake gaskets as they are notorius leakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back