$762 to replace Oil Pressure sender on 2019 Buick Enclave

I’m an MD and I don’t make that much per hour.
I actually have a lot of respect for MDs. It's well known that for at least the last 30 years, treatment is dictated by insurance. So MDs are no different than any of us at work, who may know the best solution for something, but cannot execute it due to being handcuffed by some other entity. To me, it is a profession where one clearly has an above average intelligence and above average schooling. Would you or I rather be a lifeguard and make $500k in LA County? I doubt it. We need to be challenged at a relatively high level. my .02

It lists a 2005 Cavalier as being a few dollars more with the part being a bit more expensive.

View attachment 180885
That's about what I suspected. Notice how that guide has priced both vehicles similarly..... I have a feeling the price guide isn't taking into account the alternator removal and whatever else has to come off beforehand.

There was a south main auto video recently where a 2017 Enclave needed a new left rear blind spot warning module and harness. The dealer quoted the lady over $5K for that. Eric O did it for $1300 and I found that interesting because in the years I've followed his channel, this was the first time he showed his invoice. His labor rate is currently $90/hr.

The module swelled and popped apart because of corrosion and corrosion had gotten into the connector, where you couldn't just buy the connector. Had to be the whole harness.
He must be outside city limits. I know he's in New York somewhere. Seems kind of low for that area. I know down in the south ots about $110-$120hr now for an independent shop.

The price is an outrage. The phone number listed on the bill is not in service, however they are on line. I called them with the idea of letting them know that their practices are blowing up on the internet. I am assuming that this car came used from this dealership, so I would probably go to a Buick dealer and start a case. All that said, if you were to find someone to do the job for $100-150, that works too. I hate to think that in the gentile South, some SOB tried (succeeded) in ripping off a woman in this fashion.
Probably don't answer unless it's a local number. That's what I do.

He must be outside city limits. I know he's in New York somewhere. Seems kind of low for that area. I know down in the south ots about $110-$120hr now for an independent shop.
He's in a very rural area. Close to 100mi away from Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse NY.

He's in a very rural area. Close to 100mi away from Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse NY.
This. He actually lists the address somewhere on YT if you want to make donations

Still, if he's really under $100/hr that's stupid cheap for his level of expertise. I'd say it's YT subsidized if true. Even though he appears to do minimal editing compared to many others, he still has to have dozens of hours behind the scenes to put together a vid. And sometimes he adds the brake cleaner sound effects and slow-mo....

This. He actually lists the address somewhere on YT if you want to make donations

Still, if he's really under $100/hr that's stupid cheap for his level of expertise. I'd say it's YT subsidized if true. Even though he appears to do minimal editing compared to many others, he still has to have dozens of hours behind the scenes to put together a vid. And sometimes he adds the brake cleaner sound effects and slow-mo....
People must make a fortune off youtube to take so much time out of their workday to do these videos.

People must make a fortune off youtube to take so much time out of their workday to do these videos.
He must devote some time to it for sure. Eric O / SMA does some cooking, hunting, outdoor, firearms YT videos from time to time as well.

I believe his shop was his dad's. He may even have some rental properties in town. His siblings also have businesses in the area. All very smart business people.

I’m an MD and I don’t make that much per hour.
Very true. I could bill a 92014 at $159 (Medicare Level) and coverage wants to pay anywhere from $40-79 depending on company and contract. That sort or reimbursement can make it hard to keep the lights on and pay staff.

I am actually a little surprised people go to the dealer. The last dealer I went to for work was in 1977 and I vowed it was the last time and it has been for both dealers and independents. Granted I can work on cars but if I couldn't I would still avoid the dealer.

Very true. I could bill a 92014 at $159 (Medicare Level) and coverage wants to pay anywhere from $40-79 depending on company and contract. That sort or reimbursement can make it hard to keep the lights on and pay staff.

I am actually a little surprised people go to the dealer. The last dealer I went to for work was in 1977 and I vowed it was the last time and it has been for both dealers and independents. Granted I can work on cars but if I couldn't I would still avoid the dealer.
Not everyone realizes that someone has to pay for that multi million dollar dealership building, the dealer probably just leases it too.

I just "filed a claim" for a customer with Endurance (like CarShield or any of the other scammy auto repair insurers).

It gave me a taste of what docs and dentists deal with. They want to nickel and dime everything, which I understand is technically good business but it's exhausting. They refuse to pay certain things, make "adjustments" on other things, remind you to collect the "deductible" from the customer.....and they even want to pay me with a prepaid credit card which can only mean they get a small kickback there.

After the time on the phone with them -- which was at least 25min -- I walked away thinking they should send me a tube of petroleum jelly along with that prepaid credit card, if it ever shows at all.

Car is fixed.. The dealership did have someone drive mom back home (25min) when she dropped off her car and then they came and picked her up and took her back to dealership to pick up vehicle later in the day when it was done, so at least they are providing some level of customer service for the $$$..

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Back