$762 to replace Oil Pressure sender on 2019 Buick Enclave

Here's a NAPA price estimator to consider. I think the shops not being very honest with your mom.

1695919396642.jpg

Mom's Enclave has a small oil leak that dealer identified as being the oil pressure switch/sender. Told her 5ish hours of labor to the tune of $742.. Apparently the alternator needs to come off, but that still seems way high to me? Anyone one familiar with this job? View attachment 180857
Wait til she gets to the power steering pump and gear you’ll wish it were a 760Li instead

Chevy did a great job engineering the Traverse/Enclave/whatever they are called to squeeze service $$$$ after the sale.
You bet that’s why my next GM is a Tahoe. It may be just as expensive but it’s not new fangled. I choose to have one domestic vehicle. I don’t like that many similar jobs are much cheaper on a bmw or Lexus

The PF63 oil filter length obstructs the charge port for the AC and the drls burn out like all GM 1995-2013 ($1000+ each side on the GMC Acadia with xenons)

lol they are charging freight to get the part. Good luck even getting the part. From a FB group I’m in that’s mostly dealer parts people they aren’t getting parts due to UAW strike.

It bothers me they don’t itemize exact hours of book time and labor rate on there. Is that normal?

Better to take it to an independent shop who can just order the part from a parts store like O’Reilly or Advance or whoever they use and have it same day. Labor might be a bit less too. Although around here independents are $150+ too.
We just went from $180 to $210/hr.

Yes, GM and Stellantis dealers have not received parts all week. Looks like Ford is being targeted next, we were told to order more parts for stock as they are expecting the strike to hit Ford PDCs Friday.

GM and Stellantis dealers are having to buy from other dealers to get parts for their customers. Of course we don't sell to eachother at cost and shipping isn't free so its either that or the car sits as we are penalized for using aftermarket parts or buying outside of approved channels thanks to RIM.

labor rate is $150/hr?
charging for freight on top of part cost $20
and "shop supplies" (rags, and what else?) $45

I realize your mom has no intention of doing it herself. It's sad that times have come to these kinds of prices.

This is why I do my own work.
yep. chances are good it doesn't take 5 hours of labor to replace the oil pressure switch. think this one thru, even if it is in a difficult location the process involves disconnecting the wires, unscrewing the sensor , screwing in a new sensor and reconnecting the wires.. might also take a special socket... if a pipe wrench won't reach.:)

I suppose you could throw in another 10 minutes for checking for leaks..

Why does this quote look like someone printed it up using Microsoft Word? Odd.. Anytime I've gone to a dealer they have their logo on the paperwork.. I'd have to go back decades to see something like this.. Why do I ask? because it shows their level of professionalism, can't print a logo on your paperwork? makes ya wonder

Why does this quote look like someone printed it up using Microsoft Word? Odd.. Anytime I've gone to a dealer they have their logo on the paperwork.. I'd have to go back decades to see something like this.. Why do I ask? because it shows their level of professionalism, can't print a logo on your paperwork? makes ya wonder
Most dealers have management software that does everything. This looks like something an independent shop would use. We use Dealertrack which is the Yugo of DMS's while Reynolds and Reynolds is generally the Cadillac of DMS's.

Surprising, I agree. Every dealer I've ever seen uses basically the same format to print and it doesn't look like that. Maybe a small independent one with only one dealership that didn't want to spend the big bucks on the big systems (CDK, Tekion, Automate, Reynolds, etc)

Most dealers have management software that does everything. This looks like something an independent shop would use. We use Dealertrack which is the Yugo of DMS's while Reynolds and Reynolds is generally the Cadillac of DMS's.
That is exactly what I was thinking.. nothing wrong with an independent shop just odd a dealership would use something like this.. like I've said before faithful in little, faithful in much. Not trying to make a hug deal about this.. but.. Can't afford the basics makes ya wonder what else they can't do.
Surprising, I agree. Every dealer I've ever seen uses basically the same format to print and it doesn't look like that. Maybe a small independent one with only one dealership that didn't want to spend the big bucks on the big systems (CDK, Tekion, Automate, Reynolds, etc)
yup most always look the same with the same forms.. I have seen reynolds at the bottom of some prinouts I've received from the dealer..

It seems weird that they have "Freight" lumped in with "Labor" but shop supplies are listed separately. I get it, I get it, someone has to pay for quick procurement of the item but I'd make that a separate line item if it were me.

The price is an outrage. The phone number listed on the bill is not in service, however they are on line. I called them with the idea of letting them know that their practices are blowing up on the internet. I am assuming that this car came used from this dealership, so I would probably go to a Buick dealer and start a case. All that said, if you were to find someone to do the job for $100-150, that works too. I hate to think that in the gentile South, some SOB tried (succeeded) in ripping off a woman in this fashion.

About a year ago I had a rear leaf spring break on my 2010 Tundra. The Toyota dealer wanted over $2,000 to replace both rear leaf springs. I bought both rear leaf springs for $300 and had an independent shop install them for a total of $300, so $600 for two new leaf springs installed. Would have done the installation myself but it was in the middle of winter and I couldn't get the truck far enough into the garage and close the door and still have room to work on it. Wasn't about to go sit outside in 10 degree weather and do it myself.

That is exactly what I was thinking.. nothing wrong with an independent shop just odd a dealership would use something like this.. like I've said before faithful in little, faithful in much. Not trying to make a hug deal about this.. but.. Can't afford the basics makes ya wonder what else they can't do.

yup most always look the same with the same forms.. I have seen reynolds at the bottom of some prinouts I've received from the dealer..
Reynolds is fantastic for parts. With Dealertrack, parts inventory accuracy is more of a theory than an absolute.

Back on topic, I am always blown away at the generic "shop supplies" charge. That is illegal in California and we are legally required to itemize everything.

The price is an outrage. The phone number listed on the bill is not in service, however they are on line. I called them with the idea of letting them know that their practices are blowing up on the internet. I am assuming that this car came used from this dealership, so I would probably go to a Buick dealer and start a case. All that said, if you were to find someone to do the job for $100-150, that works too. I hate to think that in the gentile South, some SOB tried (succeeded) in ripping off a woman in this fashion.

This is the Buick Dealer the vehicle was bought at new... Has a better reputation than the other Buick dealer in town believe it or not..

About a year ago I had a rear leaf spring break on my 2010 Tundra. The Toyota dealer wanted over $2,000 to replace both rear leaf springs. I bought both rear leaf springs for $300 and had an independent shop install them for a total of $300, so $600 for two new leaf springs installed. Would have done the installation myself but it was in the middle of winter and I couldn't get the truck far enough into the garage and close the door and still have room to work on it. Wasn't about to go sit outside in 10 degree weather and do it myself.
Our Enclave has Bilstein B6’s. During the pandemic a shop charged $400 to install front and rear including sway bar bushings.

The original GM struts leaked in 50-70k twice. The Bilsteins cost same as OE except $20x2 more for the rear shocks. Out the door with all parts (OE sway bar end links, boots, stops, strut bearings), almost $900 installed. Imagine what a dealer would charge using OE that would need to be replaced in 4 years…even Midas is almost $1000 for 2 struts and using quick struts

I wonder how that compares to, say, a Cavalier or something where the oil pressure switch is just right there on the side of the block?
It lists a 2005 Cavalier as being a few dollars more with the part being a bit more expensive.

1695930215520.jpg

Yeah I couldn't readily find anything as new as '19 but this seems to suggest it works for '08 thru ~'14 so maybe '19 is the same or very similar

This guy's a little painful to watch but suggests that you only need to remove the rear cover on the alt. Near the end he's got some good shots of access once alt cover is removed:

So same motor as the OP's and same basic under the hood access?

Back