$762 to replace Oil Pressure sender on 2019 Buick Enclave

I tried to lookup the hours in mitchell labor guide but couldn't find oil pressure switch. Maybe I'm dense. Sorry.
No you are fine because I did too LOL!! I only found the oil LEVEL sensor which is on the pan and it shows 18.6 labor hours! I went thru my invoices and saw where I had done a 2017 Enclave oil pressure switch...it was $134 for the repair. It was under an hour. I am pretty sure the 2019 3.6 is the same so that place is HIGHWAY robbery.....or they mistakenly looked up oil LEVEL sender which is on the oil pan and an 18hr job.

Last edited:
Shop key says 3.5 hours for oil pressure sensor FWIW
In which case it pretty much works out....although their stated labor $742.50/3.5 = $212.1428571429 per hour labor rate :D

I could see them saying $180/hr x 3.5 book time which gets you to $630 then mark up the parts, throw in some shop supplies... you're close to the estimate more or less

In which case it pretty much works out....although their stated labor $742.50/3.5 = $212.1428571429 per hour labor rate :D

I can't imagine a $212 an hour labor rate in a place like Warner Robins, GA with a cost of living of 80% of the national average. Median home cost there is $170K.

And people wonder why on BITOG they're called Stealerships?? This place is even telling you the (incidental) cost of the part. I understand your mother is not going to do the work, but, my two cents worth is she needs to seek out a couple more qualified estimates either from other dealers or independent shops. She might be pleasantly surprised.

There are times I wonder why I’m a GM fanboy, having owned a GM from new for now 12 years. And to be transparent I’m a glutton for poor service because I want that Tahoe RST performance edition cuz I need the Brembos, the intake, cat back, and the extra 13 Hp and 7 ft lbs:

But here’s an example. I heard if there’s a leak it doesn’t apply (duh that’s the symptom that comes on in a hurry).

If you want to know how much this repair costs out of pocket, google it. You’ll find a lot of angry and scared owners 😂

I have also noticed over the last decade special coverage minimizes the vehicles actually affected. But I’m serious I do want that Tahoe. Hoping truck vs crossover is a different experience and DFM won’t affect ours.

labor rate is $150/hr?
charging for freight on top of part cost $20
and "shop supplies" (rags, and what else?) $45

I realize your mom has no intention of doing it herself. It's sad that times have come to these kinds of prices.

This is why I do my own work.
The freight is most likely because at the moment a GM dealer has to order a part as CSO3 (emergency overnight) to have any hope of seeing the part and GM charges freight on CSO3.

And that is assuming they follow that guide. Plenty of shops look at those guides and add time to it.
Yes!
At least if they're doing the work too, and an honest and proper job.
I never did it, because I didn't believe in it and didn't like it one bit, but I've seen a lot of shady practices!

Something to take into account as well is that many shops, on a job with low or no parts margin, will matrix the labor and hike it up to make up for it. This would make the total profit margin of the job whatever said shop needs it to be, and would explain why this job has a seemingly ridiculous labor price for 3.5 hours. That, or their labor rate is really $212 per hour, which depending on the area isn't unheard of. There are indy shops in central IA where I'm located that are over $200/hr.

The other thing is humans have ingenuity. I replaced the water pump (another failure) on the Enclave, and around 5 YouTubes removed engine mounts and the some the top electrical box. I bet book rate allows for it.

A guy sustainable dad on YouTube had a traverse and he said I promise you, you can remove the pump from below as I did.

I did him one better and didn’t even remove the fender liner. So regardless of what the book allows, since techs are flat rate, they’re gonna do these jobs shortest time possible.

I have a Volvo “Bible” from the 80s which had all kinds of shortcuts for jobs.

My uncles 96 Suburbam blew an oil cooler line and engine seized. They were able to cheat and replace main bearings from below.

All I’m saying is we shouldn’t be surprised at a dealer’s charge, just because it’s astronomical doesn’t mean they’re lying. The book allows for what they are doing.

Back