$762 to replace Oil Pressure sender on 2019 Buick Enclave

Mom's Enclave has a small oil leak that dealer identified as being the oil pressure switch/sender. Told her 5ish hours of labor to the tune of $742.. Apparently the alternator needs to come off, but that still seems way high to me? Anyone one familiar with this job?
invoice.jpg

lol they are charging freight to get the part. Good luck even getting the part. From a FB group I’m in that’s mostly dealer parts people they aren’t getting parts due to UAW strike.

It bothers me they don’t itemize exact hours of book time and labor rate on there. Is that normal?

Better to take it to an independent shop who can just order the part from a parts store like O’Reilly or Advance or whoever they use and have it same day. Labor might be a bit less too. Although around here independents are $150+ too.

Remember that's not actual labor hours, but book labor hours.

Probably a couple hour job max for a skilled tech.

I tried to lookup the hours in mitchell labor guide but couldn't find oil pressure switch. Maybe I'm dense. Sorry.

Do you have an independent mechanic you trust? This is a job I would send to them, not the dealer.

OR...if there's another Buick dealer in the vicinity that isn't owned by the same folks, maybe you could play them against each other for a better price???

There was a south main auto video recently where a 2017 Enclave needed a new left rear blind spot warning module and harness. The dealer quoted the lady over $5K for that. Eric O did it for $1300 and I found that interesting because in the years I've followed his channel, this was the first time he showed his invoice. His labor rate is currently $90/hr.

The module swelled and popped apart because of corrosion and corrosion had gotten into the connector, where you couldn't just buy the connector. Had to be the whole harness.

Mom's Enclave has a small oil leak that dealer identified as being the oil pressure switch/sender. Told her 5ish hours of labor to the tune of $742.. Apparently the alternator needs to come off, but that still seems way high to me? Anyone one familiar with this job? View attachment 180857
I use a website; RepairPal.com to get an idea of what I should be paying for work. You can choose zip code location (which I did using your location) and get an estimate for the job and then they list several locations that will honor the estimate. The estimate for this was less than $100.00!
Needless to say, Hamby Auto was not one of those locations. Good luck!

Yeah I couldn't readily find anything as new as '19 but this seems to suggest it works for '08 thru ~'14 so maybe '19 is the same or very similar

This guy's a little painful to watch but suggests that you only need to remove the rear cover on the alt. Near the end he's got some good shots of access once alt cover is removed:

I also wondered if they were charging a lot of money just to mostly remove and reinstall an alternator. Presumably if it has a stretch belt, you get to replace that as well.

The only oil pressure switch I've ever had to replace would have been really difficult if I hadn't already had the head off.

I use a website; RepairPal.com to get an idea of what I should be paying for work. You can choose zip code location (which I did using your location) and get an estimate for the job and then they list several locations that will honor the estimate. The estimate for this was less than $100.00!
Needless to say, Hamby Auto was not one of those locations. Good luck!
I've poked around repairpal a bit but I've always felt like they give a HUGE range. Kinda like the weather forecast: it might rain today, or it might be totally sunny and dry. ;)

Too new to find a YouTube video on this?
I didn't see a youtube for one this new, but I haven't looked hard because she's going to have the dealer do it regardless. I take care of all my folks older vehicles, but this is the "new baby" and the dealer takes care of it to include the oil changes.. maybe in another year or two I'll start working on it as well.

Stuff like this is why I do all my own work on vehicles.. Its far cheaper to get the tools and figure out how to do the job yourself most of the time, and you know it was done right.

Back