How to deal with water on the garage floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll add my voice to the foam type squeegee. It's all we use and if the floor is wet...it takes all the solid crud with the water (out the door, down the drain etc).

I use a squeegie, dustpan, and bucket. I can remove 5 gallons some days. Amazing what sticks under the cars.

I don't see how a sump pump would work in an winter environment. Something would freeze and crack from ice.

When dry air days come in, the garage magically dries itself out. A lot hinges on if the concrete pad is warmer than or cooler than ambient temp... and if the humidity condenses or not.

Mop and bucket.. get a nice commercial one.. takes about 5min

I have a really old slab all spalled and cratered.. mop is great.

Sometimes in spring I'll dump on a few gal of hot water.. mop it.. then hit it with the floor blower or leaf blower for a couple mins then mop the corner puddle.

I have a painted garage floor.
If water pools on it too long, it will peel the paint.
Every Spring I would have to touch-up some areas of the floor.

For me, to make my life easier, I only park in the garage if there is no snow on the vehicle.
I would rather scrap snow off the vehicle (parked outside) than repaint the garage floor.

If rain water is dripping on the garage floor, I keep a mop handy.

This may not be right for everybody, but for me it works fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I always used a broom. If slush is that much of a bother, maybe you shouldn't park a wet car in the garage.

Yep.

although time consuming a high suction shop type vac with a cleanstream aka gortex filter can suck the floor totally devoid of water. dirt etc mixed in matters not, just wash + reuse the filter as needed, great for dust as well being HEPA filters.

my parents have been dealing with this situation for years. their house was built with a workshop space under the garage floor. no drains. no idea what the prior occupants did over the winters.

after doing the squeegee routine for about 10 years, dad had a plumber drill out and plumb in a floor drain. it never worked right. Just created a new route for salt/water to seep into the slab, (we would have salt stalactites forming on the underside of the plywood tub the slab was poured into.)
tried umpteen different floorcoatings, all would end up peeling off, and the floor flaking beneath it.

finally, 2 years ago, dad decided to it was time to replace the floor.
the general consensus amongst the contractors was that a drain wasn't the answer, even in a new slab.
the answer is pitch.
the new slab is 4 inches thicker at the house end, than it is at the door end.
that and the slab needs to be a solid pour out past the door.

so it mostly runs off, but dad does still do the occasional squeegee, or shopvac... cuz that's who he is...

Last edited:
My garage floor is pitched and the water runs out. Sometimes it will freeze the door shut though. Cement floor is +60 years old and still in good shape with no pitting.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
My garage floor is pitched and the water runs out. Sometimes it will freeze the door shut though. Cement floor is +60 years old and still in good shape with no pitting.

A little silicone grease on the door seal will resolve that>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back