18 Year Old Water Heater

and install a 3/4 inch ball valve
My son mentioned putting a ball valve on but it was too late at that point. Are they always 3/4" NPT ?

On a related note, we tried to drain the old one in order to move it, picked debris out of the drain spigot, but never got more than a slow trickle. I messed with it again the other night, used a pick tool to pluck out little bits of calcium and eventually got splashed good by calcium-filled water before I shoved my thumb over the plug hole, forcing it to start flowing really good into the hose going to the floor drain. Other than the 1 cup (wild estimate) of calcium, the water flowing out was really clear. No signs of sediment, rust, etc.

My son mentioned putting a ball valve on but it was too late at that point. Are they always 3/4" NPT ?

On a related note, we tried to drain the old one in order to move it, picked debris out of the drain spigot, but never got more than a slow trickle. I messed with it again the other night, used a pick tool to pluck out little bits of calcium and eventually got splashed good by calcium-filled water before I shoved my thumb over the plug hole, forcing it to start flowing really good into the hose going to the floor drain. Other than the 1 cup (wild estimate) of calcium, the water flowing out was really clear. No signs of sediment, rust, etc.

This is the best drain valve on the market due to its fully open port design on the stainless steel ball valve. It allows all of the larger sediment particulates to be flushed out without clogging. Sells for about $27 on eBay.

Last time I installed a tankless. Our house is pretty small and there are just 2 of us. I need to flush it....
Did you install a water softener(or already have one)along with the tankless? Or is hard water not an issue for your area? I’ve been advised by multiple sources not to use a tankless without a water softener in my area.

Did you install a water softener(or already have one)along with the tankless? Or is hard water not an issue for your area? I’ve been advised by multiple sources not to use a tankless without a water softener in my area.
No softener and no need for one. But I do need to flush it.

If it stops working how long before you notice?
I like the passive no electronic, no moving parts sacrificial galvanic ones.
Just check your sacrificial one every 2 or 3 years.
So just put a big wrench on the anode and loosen it? Cross fingers it unscrews and does not rip the threads out instead.

All the ones I have messed with have been 3/4 pipe threads.

Back