What to sheet the backside of a wall with on the cheap?

I had a divider wall build in my garage, and it features a pocket door. I have sheeted the front side with 7/16 OSB, and it was too expensive. If i insulate, what can I sheet the other (non visable side with). Needs to be cheap or free.

You could skip it all together by installing kraft faced batt insulation and staple it with the paper facing the open side of the wall.

Grade D plywood would be cheap.

If you want cheap or free, that limits your options to what you have handy around the house, what a friend wants to get rid of, what someone wants to download off of CL/Marketplace, or what happens to be available curbside at any given point in time. Scrounge away, until you find something workable.

Heavy duty cardboard. Costco lets members take away the 4’ x 4’ sheets that they accumulate in the dairy section. Use two or three and you will get some sound insulation value too. They also make great service oil spill/maintenance driveway shields which is what I use them for.

Heavy duty cardboard. Costco lets members take away the 4’ x 4’ sheets that they accumulate in the dairy section. Use two or three and you will get some sound insulation value too. They also make great service oil spill/maintenance driveway shields which is what I use them for.
Cardboard seems like a fire hazard at best and insects love it.

If you were near me, I'd give you a couple big drywall sheets, enough to do a garage wall, that have been in my garage since this place was built.

See if you can find some pallet wood that would be appropriate.
If you can find someone that has some pallets that might have been used to transport specialty equipment/products. I've had some in the past that the surface of them was 1/2-5/8" plywood.
Also, if you know someone that works in a plant that utilizes tubing, the boxes that they ship that stuff in is some pretty decent quality wood (at least it used to be.) My former next door neighbor used to work in a plant, and used to bring them home. The roof on the older part of my house is sheeted with them. the top of my 35+ year old workbench was constructed with wood from these boxes, and is still solid.
You may want to check Craigs/Marketplace to see if you can source some of this.

^^^^ this x1000

You can sometimes find sheet goods among pallets. Look for places that are likely to send or receive lots of specialty equipment and skids must be custom-built.

Troll industrial areas for curbside pallets, or even call around if you have some companies in mind.

I do this regularly because I have to build skids/crates and I refuse to pay new lumber prices today. My skids have to survive a single trip from CO to GA and I know they're destructively disassembled on the other end.

If you're respectful some companies will even let you in their yard/warehouse that is NOT curbside. Make it clear you expect nothing and be humble. Beggars can't be choosers. If they seem the least bit annoyed just thank them for their time and leave.

Back