18 Year Old Water Heater

I take mine out as I use a water softener. First time it was after installed. Second time before install. They are extremely tight and hard to loosen. The new install I laid the water heater down on it's side so I could get better leverage.

Wrapping any water heater with some reflective bubble wrap will make a big difference in standing heat loss.
I am unsure with respect to wrapping a water heater with bubble wrap. If the outside of the water heater does need feel warm when you touch it then how much heat is really being lost?

I am unsure with respect to wrapping a water heater with bubble wrap. If the outside of the water heater does need feel warm when you touch it then how much heat is really being lost?
A lot. I also have one of the fiberglass wraps for it too. The reflective bubble wrap is cheap and easy to do. The reflective part is the key.

I have a 6 year old reem and want to change the rod... I have limited space to remove it and will have to cut it a bit to get out. I see replacement type the are flexible to install....Will this type of rod work as well??
yes

Reactions: hrv
Magnesium anodes don't make as much tank crud as aluminum anodes.
What anode to use depends on the water hardness. Magnesium anode rods are more effective in soft water, while aluminum anode rods are more effective in hard water and/or a high PH water. If you have a sulfur smell, aluminum/zinc anode rods are the best for reducing the smell.

I replaced both rheems in my house after 11 years though i did change the rod only twice, would've likely lasted longer if i did it frequently.

This thread gives me a little hope.

I just bought a house with a water heater that, according to the serial number, was made in 1993. The house was built in '94.

We haven't moved in yet, but it makes hot water.

The first thing I noticed was a plastic drain spigot at the bottom. Should I dare to touch it, or even look at it directly?

Also, I have never changed an anode rod, but there's plenty of room to do it. Is the old one (what's left of it) likely to come out? The pipes are something white like PVC.

I was planning to leave the heater alone and replace it soon instead of waiting for it to fail. We'll see how it does when we move in, but I might consider doing a little maintenance if that's realistic.

(If anyone comments and I don't answer, that's because I'm in the middle of packing.)
Install this:

The last drain valve you will ever buy, a high QUALITY item. Be sure to remove and reinstall on a new WH. The plastic types which are commonly used now are all junk and restrictive. Regular flushing will work wonders as does a new anode rod.

Last edited:
What anode to use depends on the water hardness. Magnesium anode rods are more effective in soft water, while aluminum anode rods are more effective in hard water and/or a high PH water. If you have a sulfur smell, aluminum/zinc anode rods are the best for reducing the smell.
I use a magnesium anode with hard water, it works great the hard water just eats it up faster.

Our house had an old Kenmore 60 gallon heater when we bought it; it was installed in 1983 and I never did anything to it in the 9 years that I owned the house. After 38+ years of service, it gave up the ghost at the end of 2021 and I replaced it with a Rheem hybrid heater.

The first thing I noticed was a plastic drain spigot at the bottom.
I replaced my dripping plastic drain spigot a couple of years ago with a brass spigot valve. Be careful taking the old plastic valve out as mine snapped off when I applied pressure to loosen it. I used a small hack saw blade and tiny chisel to slowly saw and chip away the plastic from the threads of the water heater. Even a new WH with a plastic drain should have a new brass drain spigot installed during installation to replace the cheap plastic drain.

Reactions: JTK
A 30yo water heater...I'd leave it alone, personally. Replace it when it dies, or if you prefer, replace it soon as preventive maintenance.

That's how I'm leaning. More than once, I've tried to fix something that worked and caused more trouble for myself. I'd like to change it on my schedule instead of the water heater's.

Thanks for the other replies. Lots to think about.

I have 2 of those Rheem water heaters in my house, only the model shows V52. Both 50 gallon made in 2004. No problems so far.

I have a 6 year old reem and want to change the rod... I have limited space to remove it and will have to cut it a bit to get out. I see replacement type the are flexible to install....Will this type of rod work as well??
Breaking the original one loose is the tough part.

Reactions: hrv
Had to replace a ~6 year old water heater after it started leaking out of the bottom. I had tried to drain it 6-12 months ago with no luck but it appeared to be clogged and nothing came out. I removed the anode rod yesterday and was expecting a lot worse.... No exposed wire/rod at all. Pretty disappointed that it rusted through the bottom in that time. It was an A.O. Smith unit but I don't think the name matters much nowadays. We do have really hard water here.

1705263586886.jpg

Will the sacrificial anode come out easily? What happens if you put a big enough wrench on it to make something happen?

I would like to replace my gas water heater with a heat pump water heater. Waiting for a big sale.
Propane or NG?

Also on a HPWH the "sacrificial anode" may not be serviceable.

Breaking the original one loose is the tough part.
Use an impact wrench (27mm or 1-1/16" socket). You'll never get one out with a breaker bar unless you have a helper that can bear hug the tank to keep it from moving. First time I drain our new tank, I'll pull the anode rod out and add teflon tape or dope and snug it back up by hand.

I see replacement type the are flexible to install....Will this type of rod work as well??
Yes

How about an electronic anode for a water hester? While boats have many anodes many have an electronic anode system also. Mercruiser & Volvo Penta do. So not a gimmick at least on boats

Had to replace a ~6 year old water heater after it started leaking out of the bottom. I had tried to drain it 6-12 months ago with no luck but it appeared to be clogged and nothing came out. I removed the anode rod yesterday and was expecting a lot worse.... No exposed wire/rod at all. Pretty disappointed that it rusted through the bottom in that time. It was an A.O. Smith unit but I don't think the name matters much nowadays. We do have really hard water here.

View attachment 198469
I use compressed air to drain old hot water heaters because I ain't got all day and when I get a new one or new to me I throw away the junk plastic drain valve and install a 3/4 inch ball valve.

How about an electronic anode for a water hester? While boats have many anodes many have an electronic anode system also. Mercruiser & Volvo Penta do. So not a gimmick at least on boats
If it stops working how long before you notice?
I like the passive no electronic, no moving parts sacrificial galvanic ones.
Just check your sacrificial one every 2 or 3 years.

Back