How should this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking at it from the standpoint of 90 dollar vs going through the hassle of trying to get it erased especially at a time like this.

I have a Top Secret clearance for my job so I am picky about paying stuff. 90 bucks is a no brainer for me. You pay it, it is done. No lawyers, no arguing, no negative reports.

Makes it easy especially when dealing with the loss of a loved one. Are they wrong? Sure, but how much is it worth to you?

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I was just looking at it from the standpoint of 90 dollar vs going through the hassle of trying to get it erased especially at a time like this.

I have a Top Secret clearance for my job so I am picky about paying stuff. 90 bucks is a no brainer for me. You pay it, it is done. No lawyers, no arguing, no negative reports.

Makes it easy especially when dealing with the loss of a loved one. Are they wrong? Sure, but how much is it worth to you?

It's not his debt. Do you pay the debts of other people? Unless he signed the paperwork, he's not responsible for the debt.

Same thing happened to me when my father died. I called up the company and they just said sorry for your loss forget about it. Or they may ask for a copy of the death certificate.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Also, if the bill is not in your name, you have nothing to worry about.

Some states have laws that hold children liable the debts of their parents

Name the state and the law.

$90 might as well be a million right now

I'd write a formal letter explaining / documenting the situation and fax it to the equipment rental company. That way you have a record of the transmission & fax confirmation.

Companies try to get away with lots of stuff in these situations. It's sickening.

When my mom passed away suddenly in 1990, her Chase Visa card chose to tranfer her outstanding balance to my Chase Visa account (completely seperate account) once I notified them of the situation and sent them a death certificate. I was executor but the estate had a completely seperate taxpayer ID etc. The especially infuriating part of this is she had the credit card insurance so Chase should have paid off the balance by uding that process when I notified them of her death and sent a death certificate. I had a vittiolic conversation with Chase customer service on how illegsl their choices were and the card balance was subsequently removed from my account and paid off using the card insurance. I've never done business with Chase since.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
90 bucks, sucks but if they couldn't figure it out for 3 weeks you have to ask yourself is it worth your time and aggravation.

I understand principle and maybe I am easy but I would want it done so I could move on.

It's not in his name so it doesn't really have to be his problem unless he's the executor of the estate. It's a simple call to tell them that she died and to send them a copy of the death certificate. They'll probably just drop it.

Yep. I agree 100%

I had a CC company come after me for $1,200 that my grandmother owed after she passed. They sent a couple of threatening letters warning that they would go after her estate. I called them and told them to go for it. It's been years and nothing happened. Nobody's going after $90. Call them and tell them to stick the bill where the sun don't shine. Be nasty, it's your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back