How often do you "floor" your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time the engine is warmed up it sees WOT to the redline at least once. 191k later with UOAs and I can say it doesn't seem to be harming anything.

Not "often," depending how you define it. If I'm passing someone on a two line highway, I will always floor it. Of course, the result is much different in the G37 than the old truck.

Truthfully, with the Jetta I just cruise at all times and only remember WOT 2 or 3 times since new. With the Acura -- sometimes if im on the interstate or a back road it will get a good WOT from time to time that lasts only a few seconds. The Subaru seems to get WOT on a daily basis when I do drive it -- then again -- the Subaru is the only car I have with the manual transmission.

Dale

Did it this morning on the way to work. The on-ramp I take has a wide right turn and then straight downhill onto the 101. I let the car get straight and rolled into the throttle in 3rd and went WOT in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Obviously had to let off once I was on the freeway for a bit.

If I didn't answer this earlier, at least daily in/on my vehicles. In my wife's car, almost never. I buy the vehicles I buy largely for their performance ability, I try to use all of it as safely as possible and when everything is good and hot.

almost every day!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The ti is not especially quick(0-60 in 8.0 secunds) and the motor makes most of its power north of 4,500 rpm- so it sees full throttle quite often. The 2er usually sees full throttle at least once per day- depending on the challenges it receives in the Stoplight Grand Prix.

Yeah, the little four does need to be run hard to make any useful power.
Anyway, part of the fun of this little stove is to run WOT to redline through the gears.
Even then, you won't be going all that fast, which means you can enjoy the sound and the fury with little need to worry about any unwelcome attention from the forces of public order, official or otherwise.

My engine is only 3 cylinder 74 hp

I probably have to WOT maybe 3 or 4 times per month to prevent getting rear ended by a speeder or to pass another car.

But I dont ever do it "for kicks" like some of the other members here are describing. I felt it was "bad for the car" or that it was like getting on a real-life-horse and then whipping it to go faster, faster, faster

Last edited:
If I drive the parent's cars, I give them a good romp on the onramp or up a 10-15% grade in the backroads near the house. I think WOT once a week works wonders to keep the intake clean.

Now the Prius, I can try to goose it but the engine seems to max out around 4500RPM, a 1NZ-FE redlines around 6K I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back