How often do you "floor" your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During my long commutes to and from work, I occasionally have need to either get out of someone's way in a hurry, or get around someone in a hurry. There are a lot of really bad drivers here in Phoenix, and I encounter quite a few during my daily 110-mile round trip. Most days, I can get around them without flooring it, but sometimes, a little extra oomph is required.

With a small engine with a stick - all the time. With the 2.5 in the rogue with the CVT that goes to redline when floored - not as often; Maybe a couple times a week doing some xrta legal maneuvering on I-93 South at 100 plus mph. Ohhh Yeah!

I don't need to floor it every day, but I do like to "safely" blow the cobwebs out on the on-ramps.

Plus it surprises the tailgating moron behind me who thinks all Volvos are sluggish turds driven by drivers afraid to put their foot down.
lol.gif

Never! (anymore)Typical max accel is to 2,000 RPM, once in a while to 3,000 RPM but more then that
redline starts at 5,000 RPM

Interesting find: While scanning OBD II data, I looked a fuel trim levels - they were -11% !!

I wonder if fuel trims could be used to ID used cars that have been raced or abused???? Hmm!

I'd say I floor it more often than not on my usual (part interstate) commute to work...my on ramp is pretty tight and people on the highway I'm entering are usually going 80-90mph. It's also a horrible combined off/on ramp, so I might have to wait for somebody to merge off in front of me and then really get on it to at least match speeds with the continuing traffic.

Last edited:
‘11 F150 EB, try to let it run the tach full blast in at least 3 gears every time I drive it. You already know why - soot in the exhaust and carbon on the valves. Hopefully, hammering it helps deal with these....

The GTI all the time when it warms up, even stock it has a nice turbo noise that I like listening to. Especially nice in the PA turnpike tunnels as you can hear the exhaust as well. Guess it's my inner ricer. The S10 with its measly 100hp and 3.42 gears you have to floor it always, especially up the mountain. The Camry and Jeep have adequate power WOT is only needed for passing or if you want to be a dummy up the mountain.

The company truck is a 1st gen Transit Connect that is over its 5K gross weight. Flooring it is mandatory if you want to want to get on the interstate. The only thing is the data logger and tracker keeps note of these events and too many will result in a write up. It's a toss up of do I want to die from getting run over or written up?

When I had the 07 Focus, it was often. The downside was that the NVH (terrible) on that vehicle wasn't as rewarding as say, the BMW.

Now with the Lexus I can't really floor it. I mean I CAN, but I'd seriously risk speeding tickets/losing my car.
A few "partial throttle" accelerations are enough to satisfy my speed needs and to keep the condensation outta my oil.
I enjoy the leisure character of the V6, where it doesn't have to break a sweat to do anything and endless power is always on tap.
It's a nice feeling
smile.gif

Never. Don't have a reason to "floor" it. I can't recall that I have ever even input enough throttle to cause the AT to drop out of overdrive. Of course I'm 81 and have conservative ideas about many things, one of them being conservative driving.

Flooring an engine just opens it up to atmospheric pressure. OTW you are running at a high vacuum most of the time and seeing very low cylinder pressures. Nothing wrong with "flooring". Now sitting on the yellow or redline may be taxing for some designs.

You diesel guys, the engine has wide open throttle all the time (given that there exist NO throttle )

They seem to last a bit.

Maybe due to relatively LOW rpm, Long skirt pistons, HD componentry and injecting a fuel that has some top CYL lubricating properties - though injected a bit late to the party to help on the upstroke).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Unfortunately, on the 3.7 Transit it means on every highway merge, or moderately steep hill. Always warmed up, first, I take the long way to the adjacent DEATH ROAD interstate (I-75) here in northern Cincinnati-and it routinely takes 75 to merge in a 55 construction zone.

A friend of mine has a 3.7 transit and tows his Jeep with it. I'm amazed at how much power it has! It will outrun my F350 towing!

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Though, during the last floored session in my truck, I did blow out the passenger exhaust manifold. Something something towing 8500 pounds.

Something something Ford Triton
Something something very common issue
wink.gif

The engine does have 212K miles on the original exhaust manifold. The drivers side has been replaced. At first I thought it launched a plug but realized it was still running on all 8.

That's a bill I'm going to save up for!

My Corolla and my wife's Sienna, not very often, but when I get my Vette, that will be a different story...

Unfortunately, on the 3.7 Transit it means on every highway merge, or moderately steep hill. Always warmed up, first, I take the long way to the adjacent DEATH ROAD interstate (I-75) here in northern Cincinnati-and it routinely takes 75 to merge in a 55 construction zone.

A friend of mine has a 3.7 transit and tows his Jeep with it. I'm amazed at how much power it has! It will outrun my F350 towing!

Though, during the last floored session in my truck, I did blow out the passenger exhaust manifold. Something something towing 8500 pounds.

wink.gif

The engine does have 212K miles on the original exhaust manifold. The drivers side has been replaced. At first I thought it launched a plug but realized it was still running on all 8.

This usually happens up North w/ road salt. Not too many issues w/broken studs down here.

wink.gif

Mine would be fine, except for the 3000 pounds of tools, parts, & freon I have to carry-add the 3000-7000 pound trailer, the party's pretty much over. I would be pretty careful towing a car on a trailer with the Transit, even empty-the tires on it are pretty ridiculously small-but it would have enough power to do it (empty!).

In my Sonata and Camry? Everyday.

In my Jeep? Every once in a while, the inline 6 has a nice torque curve.

I floor it from red light to red light in a 20mph zone so I can beat all the other nobodies in the rat race. I always win; it's like I'm the only one racing.

Chevy V8 Sedan?...once or twice a trip to pass on 2 lane mountian highway.

4cyl 1994 Jeep? Every red light, stop sign, hill and turn into a headwind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back