How many still listen to AM radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
Ironically, Dave, that just reminded me. I haven't heard Coast to Coast on the radio up here for a number of months. Perhaps the local radio station dropped it. It's much cheaper to replay the daytime call in shows at night, after all.
wink.gif
As for guests, nothing's as hilarious as giving Bob Lazar a platform.

Ah good ol Robert Lazar even someone like me who is at least willing to listen to anyone can not fathom there is any truth coming out that guy's mouth. The best part he has a cult following who believes his wacky stories.

On late night shifts we used to get Coast to Coast on but it changed stations and is very hard to get decent reception in my neck of the woods. Daytime I listen to 650, which is pretty much just news talk.

CBC radio is about as left as they can make it so no dice.

I'm assuming you're not finding it on 650 any easier than I'm finding it on 980. 650/980 really need to revisit this idea of a four hour sports show every afternoon. Manchester doesn't have that with two big teams there; I can't see how Riderville warrants it.

I like our local 50,000 watt clear channel-I can pick it a pretty good ways away at night if I'm traveling, and of course it has a pretty good range during the day.

Depending on my mood, I usually catch a local conservative talkshow in the morning, and then will catch another local talk show that's more general news/humor in the afternoon. If I'm driving before noon I'll sometimes listen to Rush for a few minutes, but that's usually about my limit with him these days(no comment/stated opinion on the content-I just get tired of his style of presentation).

That particular station is also great for University of Kentucky basketball coverage. Yes, there are a few FM stations that cover it, but if I'm on the road it's nice to be able to not have to hunt(and get a larger range). The folks who do the radio coverage are liked well enough that I know many people who will watch a game on TV with the sound muted and listen to the radio coverage
smile.gif

As long as you know the slant, they are not a bad listen.

I personally like to get news from multiple sources, NPR, Fox, BBC and the WSJ so I have a well rounded view.

I can decide the issues for myself. I don't need to shelter my mind listening to only left or right leaning sources.

Neither side knows it all, or as it all right, so I like to consume news and talk from multiple sources, biases and all.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Once or twice a year. The talk shows are hilarious - angry people yelling logical fallacies.

I thought Air America went under?

To bad NPR doesn't...

Originally Posted by Malo83
AM radio died when Wolfman Jack and KRLA 1110 radio went off the air.
frown.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiFAYQBZG7M

I never lived in California except for boot camp but you are right on in terms of the time period. I feel that in general music died a slow death starting around 1974-75. It totally changed style and at the same time the record companies,except for a few, starting pressing out cheap and inferior albums. Thin records combined with horrible recording started their demise. Remember how record buyers would record their albums onto cassette in order to preserve the album?

I can listen to 50's and 60's Rock all day long and even some stuff before that. Those were the days.

2 years ago on my oldest car I put back the original, AM-only radio, only to discover that I only get 1 station, and then only at night.

I scored an original, optional AM-FM radio on ebay a few months later, so my car still has the correct looks
smile.gif

Only very occasionally, in the car, long trips when I've tired of all else. I find it fun to tune along and see what's still there. I've pretty much given up on radio since I can now store everything I might want to hear on the 256GB SD card in my phone, then have the car play it via bluetooth. Still, I actually enjoy the ethereal, almost other-worldly quality of the sound on AM radio. Nothing crisp and super-digital about it.

I used to listen to Cartalk and the Prairie Home Companion way back in the late-1990s and early-2000s.

Now the radio is a non-stop commercialized clusterscrew that is temporarily interrupted by ideological idiots and financial phonies who crap on and embarrass their callers.

The radio stays off these days because i enjoy thinking and reasoning out my idea. If I ever turn it on, I get audio CDs from the local library. That way I can make sure the content is created by someone who cares for their fellow man.

all i ever listen to is AM, sometimes i'll put headphones in and listen to pandora, else in all my trucks is AM, 930. KAFF

Not too off topic but I do listen to HF AM quite a bit. (3-30 mhz) and everything else in between. I never was a fan of AM broadcast very much.

Last edited:
Ya Garak, I think it was 980 we were trying but it is dicey to get any reception. 1000 on the dial, which is US news, comes in much nicer.

As for the sports on 650..... I am not a sports guy so the Green Zone really gets me riled up. We have some WHL and a CFL team in the Province, 4 hours a day??

I can pick up 650 fairly cleanly at night, but with 980 being right here, there's really no reason. And yes, a four hour sports show is ridiculous for this province. The sportscasters put in more hours in per year covering sports than the Rider players do training, practicing, and playing.
wink.gif
The worst part is that the last fifteen minutes of the show before the Green Zone is taken up by them talking up the Green Zone's upcoming topics, because four hours just isn't enough, I suppose.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by MolaKule
I listen to CFZM 740 at night.

Via the internet?
wink.gif

No, live on my Tecsun all mode all band radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back