How many still listen to AM radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Rudy1999 250
I like AM Rush, Ramsey. I cant stand FM Music it is Terrible.!

Yes, finding an FM station with a tolerable music format is almost impossible...

Today's young peoples music is horrible. None of the Top-100 songs today would have made the everyday airwaves during the 50s thru the 80s.
Absolute garbage today. It's rare to hear more than one good song per hour today.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Rudy1999 250
I like AM Rush, Ramsey. I cant stand FM Music it is Terrible.!

Yes, finding an FM station with a tolerable music format is almost impossible...

Today's young peoples music is horrible. None of the Top-100 songs today would have made the everyday airwaves during the 50s thru the 80s.
Absolute garbage today. It's rare to hear more than one good song per hour today.

Not only that, but there seems to be a rash of stations now trying to please everyone by playing something old, then something new. I hate these formats. I'll be surfing through the channels looking for something I like and I'll come across a station playing an old song (from the 60s, 70,s or 80s), and then the next song will be something current. These stations just end up ticking half the people off half of the time, and the other half the rest of the time...

KGO talk radio in the Bay Area. There are a couple of idiots and syndicated advertising on the weekends, but very popular here.

The vast majority of music radio stations play pre-recorded tracks. It's most computer driven. Even if the songs are ones you like, they are not the same. The tracks are played at a higher speed, the song has been cut to fit the time period or it's not the original artist but a unknown band or singer.

I used to listen to a popular oldies radio station here but they changed to this new way. They have ruined it.

To the people who don't like FM radio because of modern music, do you not have any local classic rock stations?

CBC AM Radio 1 simulcasts on FM, but the car radio has lousy FM and always has. The volume drops by nearly half and the frequency response sucks, like it badly needs an FM alignment. So unless there's terrible interference in the city, it stays on CBC AM (the next button is CBC Radio 1 FM). Otherwise I listen to my iPod.

Heading west on the Trans-Canada to Regina and beyond, only AM carries the distance, so when Winnipeg fades, CBC AM Regina comes in, and so on.

But crossing time zones can be a pain, depending on whether daylight saving time is in effect, when the last hour is repeated on the next station west. So my iPod gets a workout. Often before trips I download podcasts.

In the good ol' days, when WLS was the "rock of Chicago," it blasted across the prairies at night like satellite radio does now. Then it switched to talk, the sad end of an era.

I refuse to subscribe to satellite radio. Radio should be free! Paying for it is like having to buy a licence to listen, as in the U.K. now or Canada in the '30s!

Satellite listeners throw off your chains! You have nothing to gain but your freedom! The Shadow would never pay to listen to radio!

When I drive the Honda I keep it on 680 news. But that's the only time I listen to AM, when I'm in the Corvette I listen to satellite radio (mostly Hair Nation!) and at work I use my headphones and listen on Spotify.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Talk radio AM-640 out of Toronto which covers most of the areas I travel in daily.
Otherwise Satellite or MP3's

I am in the Toronto area as well and I listen to 590 (Leafs) 640, 680, 1010, 1050 (Leafs)

(Otherwise I have Satellite and Internet Radio)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
The vast majority of music radio stations play pre-recorded tracks. It's most computer driven. Even if the songs are ones you like, they are not the same. The tracks are played at a higher speed, the song has been cut to fit the time period or it's not the original artist but a unknown band or singer.

I used to listen to a popular oldies radio station here but they changed to this new way. They have ruined it.

Even Sirius/XM does this now. If you listen to the 70s channel, you can tell the music is sped up...

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
CBC AM Radio 1 simulcasts on FM, but the car radio has lousy FM and always has. The volume drops by nearly half and the frequency response sucks, like it badly needs an FM alignment. So unless there's terrible interference in the city, it stays on CBC AM (the next button is CBC Radio 1 FM). Otherwise I listen to my iPod.

Heading west on the Trans-Canada to Regina and beyond, only AM carries the distance, so when Winnipeg fades, CBC AM Regina comes in, and so on.

But crossing time zones can be a pain, depending on whether daylight saving time is in effect, when the last hour is repeated on the next station west. So my iPod gets a workout. Often before trips I download podcasts.

In the good ol' days, when WLS was the "rock of Chicago," it blasted across the prairies at night like satellite radio does now. Then it switched to talk, the sad end of an era.

I refuse to subscribe to satellite radio. Radio should be free! Paying for it is like having to buy a licence to listen, as in the U.K. now or Canada in the '30s!

Satellite listeners throw off your chains! You have nothing to gain but your freedom! The Shadow would never pay to listen to radio!

I wouldn't mind paying for satellite radio so much if it didn't have any commercials, but it does. What's the sense in paying for radio if it has commercials anyway?

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways

You realize how much we pay the CBC as tax payers right? Is it really free?
wink.gif

I used to. KMOX 1120 out of St Louis. I do in the summer listening to Cardinals baseball.

Today, it's more podcasts on Stitcher. I have an Android head unit in my car and have apps such as Stitcher and Radio.com installed.

So the upside is I can listen to home stations while out of radio range as long as I have cell service.

Morning, noon, and night.

Either in the truck / on the motorcycle... or via Alexa.

"Alexa, play WLS".

I do...

And on occasion I call in to ATN overnight... Have been on the air a couple of times. It is fun times
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Once or twice a year. The talk shows are hilarious - angry people yelling logical fallacies.

I thought Air America went under?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back